Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm replacing the struts on my relatively low mileage P10. Got both front struts out easily and r & r'd the struts on both assemblies. The right side goes into the car with no problem. The left side goes in such that the eyelet at the strut bottom is angled and won't go into the control arm.

To make sure it isn't an issue with the strut assembly, I took the right one (that went in properly) tried to install it on the left side and same problem. Something seems off on how the holes are drilled in the strut tower. Anyone who has done this knows the strut mount has 3 bolts that are not equidistant from each other so the strut can go in only one way. And the front struts are not left/right specific like the rears are. The car has never been wrecked or even hit any bad potholes or bumps (I've driven the car since new).

I'm thinking the only option is to slot the strut mounting holes or drill new ones. Anyone had this problem or any ideas?

·
Registered
807 Posts
The front has shocks. The mounting top hats have a specific orientation if I recall correctly.

The rear has struts.

If it won't assemble, something is assembled incorrectly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe my terminology is wrong, but it's a damper inside a spring with a tophat. There is only one way the spring end can go on the bottom of the damper and only one way the upper end of the spring can go on the mounting rubber. And the rubber mounting can only go on the top hat one way because it's asymmetrical. And you're right to top hat can only go on the car one way because of irregular bolt spacing.

The fact the strut on the other side -right - fits in the car perfectly but that same strut won't fit on the left side makes me think there is something off. But the strut towers are pretty robust and no visible deformation. I guess I'll try changing out the shock to one that came off the car and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front has shocks. The mounting top hats have a specific orientation if I recall correctly.

The rear has struts.

If it won't assemble, something is assembled incorrectly.
It turned out to be a bad shock. Where the spring seats at the bottom, the little raised area to hold the spring end in place was 'off'. Put the old one on and fit fine. So now I have one side renewed and the other pretty old.

I went cheap on the dampers and paid the price in work. Was getting ready to order KYB's off of RockAuto and they had Gabriel's for next to nothing on a closeout so I gave them a try. The two shocks were definitely from a different batch as one had a glossy finish the other one matte.

Thanks for responding yesterday.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts