Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
nissan started the obd 2 conversion in '94. federal law didn't require it until '96 in a way it has both obd 1 and obd 2 systems in it.

you could call it obd 1.5 since it'll give the codes like obd2, but still blink them out like obd1
The real questions for me are: Can I buy a scan tool from the local AdvanceAutoZoneBoys and have it work? Can AutoZone do their free scan thing or would they not have the right tool? Is there a laptop interface that works?

2,438 Posts
The real questions for me are: Can I buy a scan tool from the local AdvanceAutoZoneBoys and have it work? Can AutoZone do their free scan thing or would they not have the right tool? Is there a laptop interface that works?
yup, i got one in my garage that i break out every once in a while

yes, but they'll probably try to tell you it won't work, saying 'it's pre '96 so it can't be obd2'

and yes, look on ebay for nissan consult. here's the one i got you may also need this usb adapter if your laptop doesn't have the 9pin serial port.

both of those i linked you two are what i use for my consult interface. there's free software out there that you can use. if you get the consult, don't bother with the obd scanner, since consult will give you the same codes along with what they are.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found the consult plug behind the fuse door and the ODB-II connector near the passenger's left knee. So, that's all good.

I repaired (at least temporarily) the split in the hose running from the air box to the throttle body. I also pulled out the PCV valve, it was gunked up so I cleaned it with carb cleaner.... now it moves freely. I'm hoping this will help keep oil off the plugs. Between this and the spark plugs last night I'm hoping to get a bit of power and economy back.

I don't have car parts money this weekend so am doing the free stuff... maybe next weekend I can replace the cap, rotor, and wires. I haven't quite figured how to clean or replace the EGR system yet.

2,438 Posts
I found the consult plug behind the fuse door and the ODB-II connector near the passenger's left knee. So, that's all good.

I repaired (at least temporarily) the split in the hose running from the air box to the throttle body. I also pulled out the PCV valve, it was gunked up so I cleaned it with carb cleaner.... now it moves freely. I'm hoping this will help keep oil off the plugs. Between this and the spark plugs last night I'm hoping to get a bit of power and economy back.

I don't have car parts money this weekend so am doing the free stuff... maybe next weekend I can replace the cap, rotor, and wires. I haven't quite figured how to clean or replace the EGR system yet.
eehh, i wouldn't touch the egr unless the valve isn't moving like it should. (you can check it by putting your fingers up under it, and push on it to see if it moves)

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
OBDII in G20's started in 1994. I have one of those 1994 OBDII G20's. You can use any OBDII scanner to pull the codes from a 1994+ G20.

·
Registered
138 Posts
NO not locktite but thread lock(the blue one) or next time you want to replace it it will be locked were as the blue one breaks easy.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts