Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
The hose on the back side of the engine gave out on the interstate at night at high speeds. All at once, smelled coolant, then started running with a miss. Gauge never shof up. I'm guessing becauseit had no water to get an accurate reading.
The engine is an Avenir w10. The head will be re decked and the block will be checked for straight. So, a 20v vet gasket is what I should use? Is this something I can get from Nissan NA?
As for studs, I am running barely over 10psi of boost. I was considering studs, but thought they may be overkill for my application. So I should definitely go with studs just cause I'm there anyway?

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
If you aren't going for crazy power then all OEM parts are ok and that's how I would build it. A multiplayer gasket can leak and weep slowly if not perfectly flat and torqued down 100% true and that is why I use the composite OEM style gaskets a lot of the time. In your case I would deck the head check the block and just use your current bolts just make sure 100% sure the torque is perfect and even

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Where can I get a gasket for my w10 engine? Is a usdm sr20de gasket the same as jdm sr20det as far as pattern and materials? Thanks for the help Charles.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
Pulled the head off this morning and found this.

Looks like the little bit of detonation I'd hear from time to time burned the quench pads and eventually burned the gasket..only cyl.4 showed signs of this. I was running a range 6 plug, which is probably what started the issue to begin with, then once the quench pad started pitting, things only got hotter. Plan is to start saving for a fresh engine. It's a shame since other than this the engine was in excellent shape.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Gasket blew, causing compression to be forced into water jacket which blew a hose out on the back of the engine, causing me to think I ran it hot somehow. I kind of suspected this is what I would find after thinking about how if went down.

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
Yeah that looks like lean and hot and too much timing.

Head may be salvageable but if anything get another one for now.

DET head gaskets are the same as usdm

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
I'm running jwt ecu and base timing was set at 15*btc. Only cylinder #4 showed any signs of damage. The rest of the combustion chambers look good.
The block would needs to be milled also, since, when the gasket blew the heat/compression eroded the aluminum between cyl. And water jacket just like on the head.
I'm just going to buy another engine and put this one aside as a project

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
New motor arrived, very clean w11, and just recently finished fixing some chips in front bumper, and giving both Bumpers a revised paint job. Also, painted rear mud flaps. As far as installing the new engine, my ic piping is set up for my modified compressor housing (clocked 90* from vertical and tapped holes for wastegate actautor) so I need to swap that, and cut/grind out the gussets on the oil pan to fit xmember, swap all sensors and throttle body, and thenits ready to install. Maybe running again by next week.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Cars has been up and running again for the past couple of weeks. I need to spend some time doing something cool to a valve cover, since I didn't bother before installing the engine. I haven't done a compresion check for a starting reference yet, but I'd say this motor feels a little more torqie than the other one ever did (previous motor tested 150-155 when last checked). Other than that, left mbc unhooked until I can get a replacement wideband unit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Wanted to share this with you gus. Noticed the saab 9-3 cupholder fits our center console perfectly. Don't know if anyone else has noticed, or done it, but it litteraly just drops in place and has deep spring loaded coin holders.

Its only flaw is, sometimes it holds your drink a little too well, and sticks to the bottom of larger drinks. I still prefer it to the din style cupholders though.
Also,had to warranty an axle and wheel bearing this week. The outer CV started binding and seizing in one spot every rotation and it ruined the bearing, after limping it the 20 miles to the shop.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Motor is running great. Compression was 160-165 across the board when I checked. Feels strong. Honestly, I think I'm ready to try another ems. I feel like the jwt tune on my ecu is the reason power feels inconsistent from hour to hour or day to day.
Ive been using the same tune
e for the past 3 engines (over a 6-7 year period), and they all acted the same way..

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #76

Bought the most recent set of morettes to pop up fs here. They are in pretty rough shape. I believe someone sanded on themto the point of shortening the depth of the eye cups on the outer housings..

I can't get rid of the gap between the outer housings and the lenses, and from all the pics I've seen, they are supposed to Have a small ridge on the housings around the lenses, and fit pretty nice.
They are genuine morettes with cibie lenses. The rest of the units are in good shape. I plan on trying to restore them with a little glass and filler, so we'll see.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #80 (Edited)
ACT busted a spring, so I replaced it. I also rebuilt the ser trans with new bearings and shaft and through it up in place of the p10-t trans, as it was starting to growl pretty bad.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts