Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new to g20.net
alot of you guyes post helped me fix my windsheild wiper motor, turn signal switch, change my fuel filter (when was still stock on a 1991 g20 with 283,000 miles (nasty black shiv came out of the old filter)) now i have one last problem with this car before i start on cosmetic work.....

My car is making a noise on the left side of the engine bay. i went to auto zone and the guy said i might need pulley bearings but i havent gotten around to figuring out which pulley. i would like to know what tools i would need to change this/ replace and if im feeling to lazy how much would it cost for a auto mechanic to do it (estimate). also i would like to know if it is ok to use sae 90 gear oil to lube the bearings if possible>(been searching the internet and came across this idea)

all advice is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
The only bearings on the belt side of the motor will be on the water pump, power steering pump, AC pump, or alternator. My guess, its either the WP, or PS. Might want to narrow it down a bit more for repair options here.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is the alternator pulley and the belt is moving side to side...
damn does this mean i gotta get a new alternator ?
also the car is making a sorta light grinding sound ....
do you think it is safe to be driving the car if the car is doing this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea the bolt is on pretty tight
its making a grinding noise and the belt is going side to side
any other ideas ??

·
De La Code
6,945 Posts
I would check the crank pulley. My crank pulley seperated from the outer ring while I was driving. It also started to grind before it broke btw.

·
Registered
627 Posts
take off the alternator belt, turn on the engine and heard. If the noise disappeard, the problem is the alternator, replace the bearings. If continue, take off the other belt and heard newly. Could be the wp or the ps pump

To take off and put the drive belts is a hard work, be care.

If the noise continues, the problem is the crank pulley or the timing chain, guides and sprockets.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
if you take that belt off spin the alternator pully and ac compresor pully and inspect,
a a/c compresor also like to make some grinding noises.
did the mech at auto zone not come out to listen to it with a stethascope?
are was he just like hmmmmmm sound like pully bearin's lol

if he had used a stethascope he would have pointed out what was affected

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Replace your pulley bearings, and while you're at it put in new muffler bearings as well, a new circle square, and one of these: http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=20

But seriously, you can spray your alt w/ some WD40 and see if the noise goes away. But like previously mentioned if your belt is going side to side (not sure if you mean forward and backward on the pulley) either that pulley is REALLY messed up, or its your crank pulley. Crank pulleys have rubber insulators that separate and give that exact symptom. Look down at your crank pulley and see if it looks like its wobbling

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey guys it was my crank shaft
fucking car started knocking real hard
at first i thought it was the valves tapping but the noise got louder and louder
i took it to my father (who owns a mech shop) barely talk to him (long story)
but he told me that my crank shaft bearings inside the engine are fucked some how
and if i drive the car any more i might throw a rod???
the noise is so loud now and the car is embarssing to drive
my father told me the work and parts needed to fix my crankshaft is not worth it and i should just swap the engine. i found a sr20de with 64,520 miles on it for 300 dollars.
my next project is to swap engines but i want to do it myself...
i know what tools i need to do it but i need to know exactly what to do now to drain, drop and replace this engine. thanks guys for the help i have 3 months to put this engine in now (right before it took a shit on me i got a speeding ticket which caused my license to get supspended) ;[

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Rod knocks and bad pulley bearings dont sound the same. Mainly because bad pulleys dont go KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK. Goooooo autozone diagnosis!
Do you have any oil in your engine? Because a dry engine could sound the same as a bad pulley bearing I suppose. Check your oil level and make sure you're not empty. Not that thats going to fix it but it might make it a bit more driveable

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i checked the oil and the dip stick says its full but the oil is really fucking dark
also i just so happened to change the spark plug and wire 4 days before the knocking and i saw oil in my holes where the spark plugs go??? what is that a sign of ???
i am going to put a video of the knocking and put pics up as soon as i get my cousins camera. the car still starts up and drives but the knocking gets louder as i go higher in rpms. do you think it is worth it to have my engine diagnosis again or just say fuck it and drop the pos

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey Manuel, My car was whining as I increased the rpm's. I took off the Alternator/ Air Conditioning belt. The whining became less noisy, but it still made a whirring noise that was loud. So I took off the Power steering belt. There was no difference. Now I have both belts off, and the car still makes the loud whirring noise. The noise sounds as if there is no power steering fluid in the reservoir, but I already filled it. No belts, no pulleys are spinning except the crank pulley. What could this noise be? (If I turn on the Air Conditioning there is a different noise that is probably the compressor going bad, but this noise stops if I turn off the AC.) --Thanks

By the way, I am able to turn the crank pulley forward and backwards when the car is in neutral and when it is in gear. I do not know if I should be able to do this or if this indicates that I have a bad pulley. You can hear the noise here ---->
http://youtu.be/uu2L_Ny0FzA
http://youtu.be/g77dRpUWfNk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts