Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, when I bought this 93.5 P10, the front speakers were completely blown, the antenna mast was snapped off, and a tape was stuck in the tape deck. The radio worked, but was very staticky. So, I swapped the front speakers with some cheap generic ones from Crutchfield, and I bought the AntennaX aftermarket mast because my antenna mast was broken. The antenna motor still works, so I disassembled it, took out all the broken plastic from the old one, put it back together, reinstalled and put the new mast in. I also removed the stereo head, disassembled it and removed the tape stuck in the deck. Tape deck doesn't function anymore, but the radio, EQ, etc all still do.

I'm not hugely into upgrading the stereo system, and I like the OG look of the original head even if the tape deck doesn't work. I was hoping to just run a bluetooth radio adapter through the FM radio to listen to tunes and podcasts through my iphone. Unfortunately, even with a fresh antenna mast, I get a lot of interference from all FM radio stations, even ones that should be strong local signals, with both the car running, and off in accessory mode (so I don't think it's the alternator). Is this a grounding issue? Is the antenna at fault? Do I need to replace the head or factory amps? Any guidance on diagnosis would be helpful. Thanks folks.

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
Yeah, I don't know if it is the amps or the headunit, but my stock radio on the G20 has a lot of noise, but just in the front so I've just faded them off. I suspect it is the front amp is going, but I've never had time to swap things out and see if it fixes it.

Also, I do know all the foam rubber rings around the speakers are all gone into a pile of crumbs after a few decades. I've never really thought about fixing a speaker before, but my brother's land cruiser 100 apparently commonly has this problem of destroying the rings and all the Toyota guys get replacement rings you carefully glue onto the cone that will bring it back to life, since they all want to keep the stock Mark Levinson junk.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I noticed it changes in pitch with o2 sensor switching. But short of rewiring everything in the car, probably stuck with it. You could add capacitors everywhere. But probably wont help. These things are old. And my grounds are new and thicker and clean.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts