Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
no longer selling. but enjoy the pics p.s has an issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the previous owner game the the replacement hose but i havent put it on cause i dont have a socket or wrench big enough 🤣 and the pump is dry, nd i have been driving it for a week now with the noisy pump would i need to replace it or just replace the hose it refill. i was thinking refilling it after the hose is change should be good i dont think the pump would be damaged. or would it ??

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you were driving and you heard whining, it could have been that the pump was in fact dry (as you said), or there was fluid in the reservoir and simply air bubbles in the steering rack. Depends on the noise you were hearing.

If you KNOW FOR CERTAIN that the pump was dry and you were driving with it like that, it is likely that there are flakes of metal (from the grinding in the pump) in your PS lines. These metal flakes can mess up the vavles and seals in your steering rack. In this case, you would want to flush the system and bleed the air bubbles out. I recently did mine, and I used this thread as a guide. Look at glG2094's post. How to flush power steering?

If you really only heard groaning while steering/making turns, I would think it was just air in your steering rack -----> especially because you say that you actually had fluid in the reservoir.

If you saw fluid in the reservoir, then the pump could not have been dry all of the time. Do you know for a fact that the reservoir was empty at one point? If so, then during that time the pump was probably dry, and the fluid that returned to the reservoir was the fluid that was down in the rack while the reservoir and pump were dry.

If you are NOT SURE whether or not the pump was actually running dry while you were driving, then I would not flush right away and just see if your pump is actually working. If it it doesn't work, then you know what you have to do (replace it). For now, I'd do like Dane says, put the new hose on and fill up the reservoir, but also bleed the air from the rack so you can rule out the noise being from the air bubbles in the rack.
Ah, and use the right ATF fluid, too, not power steering fluid.

Jack up your front end, and put it on jack stands on both sides. ( Set Parking brake and Chock the back wheels.)
Have someone sit in the car and steer the front wheels all the way Left, then all the way Right, while you add PS fluid to the reservoir. Steering the wheel back and forth will move the fluid from your rack back to the reservoir.
Your system is low on fluid so the level in the reservoir is going to fall while your partner is steering lock to lock.
Just keep the reservoir with enough fluid in it so that it doesn't go empty while your partner steers. Once your fluid level begins to rise (and no longer fall), stop the steering and just add fluid until it is at the correct level. (Dip stick says Cold or Hot, referring to engine temp.)

Your partner can then continue steering while you monitor the PS reservoir and look for bubbles. The bubbles would be air that had been in the Steering Rack. It can take a while (5-10 min.) to move those little air bubbles up to the reservoir. Once the air is out it shouldn't whine so much when you steer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts