Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So um...

Yeah.

A few weeks ago, I did a brake job -- pads, rotors, calipers (including brackets) -- because the front right brake kept getting locked up. I've done brakes many times, don't think I fudged anything. Today off the highway (maybe 20 minutes at 60mph before exiting), I felt/heard the front right brake start to lock up, then the car began to move slowly. This was the reason I changed the calipers in the first place.

Anyway, I pull over, check things out, and the front right wheel well is hot with some scoring on the brand new Brembo blanks. It's only a few blocks home, so I drive the rest of the way, park, and then notice smoke from the front right. I check that out and the pads are flaming. Not scary flaming, but like what you'd see coming out of a lighter. I extinguish the flame and make sure nothing's still on fire. Didn't look like anything burned, except the pads.

My question: What the heck could cause this? The calipers are new, why would it freeze up after just a few weeks? Brake lines?

The ABS light is now on, so I likely melted the sensor. What should I look for or test without leaving the parking spot?

I'll probably take her in, I think I'm getting too old for this stuff.

FWIW, I rarely need to drive, so The G does sit for weeks at a time, but my job banned me from taking the train in, so I'm stuck driving until we can fix SARS-2. In fact, I did the brake job specifically so that I could drive to work and have been driving on this setup for about three weeks.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Sounds like a collapsed or pinched brake line/hose. Might have enough pressure from the master cylinder to clamp up when you apply the brake, but not enough pressure to flow back and release the piston when you let off. I’d try replacing the soft brake hose on that wheel first. Also, look at the hard lines coming from the hose and make sure nothing got pinched there.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The reason I post the bleeding procedure is because it isn't the typical "furthest from the reservoir" procedure that all the Youtubers post - it is RR > LF > LR > RF. If done incorrectly, one of the calipers (depending on the order you chose) can have a lot more fluid at the end of the procedure, which can easily cause the caliper to lock up after a very short drive.

Aside from that, assuming you did all that correctly, I'd follow @Nelson's advice and take a few minutes to inspect the brake line. Also check to see if something got trapped/pinched to the rotating assembly (heat shield, ABS sensor wiring, debris, etc.) as a result of the install, which could have led to the heat/flames. 🤞

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you hit anything on that side? I ask because this happened to my rear brakes when I hit a curb, the brakes would ride on the rotor and cause it to get HOT. I eventually changed out the entire dead axle and problem was fixed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts