Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight, I was bleeding the air out of the clutch lines and the clutch pedal wasn't returning unless pulled back up by hand. I looked at the slave cylinder and noticed that even if the pedal is pulled back up, the clutch lever arm (on the gearbox) is not returning on its own and pushing the plunger arm back into the slave cylinder. So I stopped to do some research.

My question: Is the plunger on the slave cylinder supposed to return on it's own by a spring somewhere in the transmission/clutch area that I'm missing?

As it is now, the clutch pedal down to the floor doesn't seem to be pushing the plunger on the slave cylinder far enough to disengage the clutch. Either that, or there's something else going on. I can move that lever back and force by hand with no resistance, and it stays wherever I put it.

This is a recently rebuilt 5 Speed with a new clutch, flywheel, TOB, Slave/Master Cyl's, etc on SR20VET motor.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Automotive design

· Registered
4 Posts
When the master was installed you need to make sure there is NO preload on the rod. The pin for the clevis to the pedal must almost be able to slide in and out without friction. If there is preload it may block or restrict the feed from the reservoir which will cause issues with bleeding.
The pedal falling to the floor and not self returning while bleeding is normal.
There should be a spring inside the slave but it’s not designed to be strong enough to push the arm, just enough to keep the rod inside the cup on the arm.
You should be able to compress the slave with little effort.
If you couldn’t compress the slave then I would say for sure there was a badly adjusted master.
I have never used a spring on the arm on any hydraulic conversion as the spring (especially one designed for a cable arm) will cause problems by compressing the slave when at rest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts