Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay we have a problem on our P11. I've been searching through this forum, and sr20forum for countless hours, and days but no luck.

Problem: On cold days (usually in the mornings) I go outside, start the G up, put it in reverse or drive, and the car just stalls. Keep in mind this is a automatic P11. The idle is perfectly fine in neutral or park. The car does not throw any codes at all. I tuned the car up couple months ago. Things I replace were spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, tranny fluid, engine oil, fuel filter, thermo stat, radiator fluid, cleaned IACV/ACC, fuel pump, chk belts, and etc..

One way I have gotten around the problem: I can let the car sit and warm up for about 10-15mins, drive off, and it would not stall.

One thread that came close to the problem I'm have is this thread:

http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47602

Scroll down to post # 3. Exact same problem.

Conclusion to this person's problem:

http://g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49451

Am I having this tranny problem? Damn I hate autos!

·
Registered
462 Posts
check the battery to make sure it is in good condition before anything else. A battery that is starting to go bad can cause this. ( had this problem with a v6 but not my g20)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
On P11's, after taking off the IACV, your timing will be all messed up and you rev's will be different when in gear. I know because it happened to me. I had to go to the dealer and had them reset the timing and all that using the consult

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had this problem before i took the IACV out and cleaned it. I thought by cleaning the IACV it would of helped solve my problem but it made no difference.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have a 2000 and my car also dies but only when at idle in park , when i put the e-brake on and put it in drive or reverse it stays on , i have tried to clean out the IACV but it still dies out when in park. The thing i noticed when messing with it is that that little " piston " looking thing to the left of the throttle body pushes the accelerator cable when it shuts off, i tried to clean the male and female portion of the idle motor using carb cleaner and it works for about a day and then goes back to acting up.

i would like to replace the iacv but all the sites i visit that have parts dont even list that as a part...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE: took car to Infiniti dealer and they said my transmission is locking up causing the car to stall so it would have to be replaced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am having EXACTLY the same problem on a '99 P11 with mileage in the 120K's.

Solutions I've seen suggested:
- Replace battery
- Replace MAF
- Clean EGR valve
- Replace IAC valve

I'm planning on starting with the cheapest and moving through them, but it's getting warm out, so I don't know if I'll find a fix while it's still cold enough to really test it...

This is not the same problem as the other person listed. It never has any problems in park.

Can you tell me what the dealership provided you with as evidence that it needed to be replaced?

Thanks.

-d

·
Registered
374 Posts
Say what??

aw11_p10 said:
UPDATE: took car to Infiniti dealer and they said my transmission is locking up causing the car to stall so it would have to be replaced.

The dealership told you that the trans. is locking up and you have to replace the whole tranny?

check this site out...http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Common/Engine Stall Problems.htm

I cant find the page on the same site that says if the trans fluid is low it MAY cause the trans to go into lock up then shut off

I know it can't be my problem because my A/T G20 shuts off when in park ...unless the TQ converter still locks up when in park also...

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dphilp said:
Can you tell me what the dealership provided you with as evidence that it needed to be replaced?

Thanks.

-d
I will scan the invoice with the description they gave me. But to sum it up they said transmission locks and causes the car to shut off. Recommend replacing the transmission.

2000ET1G20 said:
The dealership told you that the trans. is locking up and you have to replace the whole tranny?
Yeah, Infiniti told me they would have to replace the whole tranny with either a used one or a brand new unit. They said they do not do any rebuild when it comes to transmissions.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
aw11_p10 said:
Yeah, Infiniti told me they would have to replace the whole tranny with either a used one or a brand new unit. They said they do not do any rebuild when it comes to transmissions.
Yup that's true. If a tranny breaks and its under warranty then they just put in a new one, no rebuilding at the dealer.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE: checked transmission level and it was low. (confused since i replaced the transmission fluid when we first bought the car, and there is no leaks at all). anyways i drained and refilled the transmission with mobile 1 ATF synthetic oil, and so far it drives great now during cold start ups in the mornings. no more stalling finally!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts