Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my valeo projectors and d2s bulbs and ballasts. still need a shroud. was planning on doin a retrofit for my '02 g20 sport.

one problem. if i plan on selling this car in a year or 2, wouldn't the dealership prefer to have the car in stock condition (aka not cutting up the housing and intact with oem bulbs?)

would doin a retrofit devalue the car alot from a dealership perspective? or if i sold this personally to someone on this forum, would that person pay little more considering the retrofit work or would it not matter at all?

i bought the stuff before opportunities for a high paying job surfaced. so i plan on buying a new car within a year or two. not sure if i should go ahead or throw in the towel and sell them back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
871 Posts
Yes - modding your car devalues your car in all cases. Everything that you do to your car that isn't "stock" makes your care worth less.

You can get more money from people who are interested in having a modded car. If you mod.... you need to sell privately.

Truthfully, if you are going to resell your car... you probably shouldn't mod it.

++ It is illegal for you to put HIDs on a car that didn't come with HIDs when it was brand new. Just thought you'd like to know that. (Thats the reason I haven't got HIDs for myself) - i dont think cops usually notice, however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,733 Posts
Best thing I always do is buy a set of headlights and mod those.
This also helps if I ever screw them up, I still have my original set.
If not, I can always sell the mod items and turn the car back to stock
and resell it for the market price.
 

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
Joined
·
13,766 Posts
or you can just sell the lights for money + a set of stock headlights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Or you can just go to P11Gdub home and take his car and strip it! Then sell it and get more for your caR!?! and a set of JDM headlights....!
 

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
Joined
·
13,766 Posts
TE's02p11G said:
Or you can just go to P11Gdub home and take his car and strip it! Then sell it and get more for your caR!?! and a set of JDM headlights....!
i hope all of you saw what happens to car jackers in American History X... :dead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
mvppalisades said:
got my valeo projectors and d2s bulbs and ballasts. still need a shroud. was planning on doin a retrofit for my '02 g20 sport.

one problem. if i plan on selling this car in a year or 2, wouldn't the dealership prefer to have the car in stock condition (aka not cutting up the housing and intact with oem bulbs?)

would doin a retrofit devalue the car alot from a dealership perspective? or if i sold this personally to someone on this forum, would that person pay little more considering the retrofit work or would it not matter at all?

i bought the stuff before opportunities for a high paying job surfaced. so i plan on buying a new car within a year or two. not sure if i should go ahead or throw in the towel and sell them back.
Honestly any kind of modifications you do to your car will devalue the car. But honestly when ever I traded in a car, they never ever looked at my headlights or detail that much. They look at the major problems like being lowered, bid huge spoilers, body kit, big dents, rust The major stuff. If you hide your wiring and don't make it sloppy or noticeable. It will be fine. Use a lot of loom and cover it up well. They it would look all stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
Well what you REALLY should do if you sell the car, is just buy another set of used headlights from a member here for like $150, and sell your retrofit set complete for like $400-$500. Then you will be money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
very good points. well i already dropped about 350 for all the parts and id need to drop another 250 or more for someone to retrofit it. i dont know why retrofitters charge that much. so i might still go for it and buy new stock headlights later when i sell the car or use the money on something else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Koojo said:
^^^ If you knew how much time went into properly retrofitting, you'd know why it costs so much...
u know what koojo, ur exactly right. i dont really know what it takes to get it retrofitted. my primitive thinking is that u just gotta clip, clip, chop this off, chop that off, snuggle it in, and it's done. now obviously that isn't the case. now 250 is a generous case but a very large percentage of retrofitters easily charge more. i agree with low 200's but not necessarily the range that is very close to 300. but then again, i really dont know what it takes to retrofit.

i have a question, is cutting the housing absolutely necessary to retrofit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Koojo said:
Well what you REALLY should do if you sell the car, is just buy another set of used headlights from a member here for like $150, and sell your retrofit set complete for like $400-$500. Then you will be money
that is true. i have ECE D2S Valeo projectors. i think that alone would buy a set of used headlights. except i cant find a set of those ANYWHERE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,780 Posts
Cutting the housing will depend on your projectors. In my case, I only had to cut the reflector inside the housing. The projectors are actually mounted to the reflector and do not touch the headlight housing, which allows me to use the stock adjustment screws to their fullest. But other members I know had to cut the housing.

As far as finding a used set of headlights, just post it in the WTB section and someone will respond.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
mvppalisades said:
got my valeo projectors and d2s bulbs and ballasts. still need a shroud. was planning on doin a retrofit for my '02 g20 sport.

one problem. if i plan on selling this car in a year or 2, wouldn't the dealership prefer to have the car in stock condition (aka not cutting up the housing and intact with oem bulbs?)

would doin a retrofit devalue the car alot from a dealership perspective? or if i sold this personally to someone on this forum, would that person pay little more considering the retrofit work or would it not matter at all?
I know people already answered this, but just to add on...

Will it devalue the car, from a dealership perspective? Yes -- they only sell cars stock, so they would have to take out your headlights and replace them with OEM ones. Same principle with an aftermarket wing -- they'd have to remove it, bondo and sand and repaint the trunk lid so that it's all stock again.

Would it devalue the car, from a private party perspective? Maybe...you would likely be able to ask more because HID's are a very useful addition, but then again someone might not be willing to buy someone's project car, and HID's are technically illegal to retrofit into a car that didn't come with them from the factory.
 

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
Joined
·
3,069 Posts
RedCarDash said:
++ It is illegal for you to put HIDs on a car that didn't come with HIDs when it was brand new. Just thought you'd like to know that. (Thats the reason I haven't got HIDs for myself) - i dont think cops usually notice, however.

Pends where you live :beard:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,714 Posts
mvppalisades said:
got my valeo projectors and d2s bulbs and ballasts. still need a shroud. was planning on doin a retrofit for my '02 g20 sport.
if you want to save money check out my thread documenting that exact same install and do it yourself. and get a second set of lights so you can just sell the retro and put the stocks back. you might even break even.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top