Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 black p10. I want to paint the plastic trim black becuase it's all faded. Makes the the car look like crap. How would I go about doing such a task. Take it to a body shop, other suggestions. Please let me know what you think I should do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe not paint??

I just saw some one post about a product by Mothers call Back-to-Black....worth looking into....paint can get messy.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
I feel you!!

I have the same problem!! They get all faded and greyish and stuff! I hate that... I sometimes wipe some Armor All on them to bring back a lil' black.. but I know it could get better!! If anyone really knows anything! Help! :square:

·
Registered
183 Posts
back to black

I have the same problem with the fading. I just got the back to black stuff a couple days ago but havent put it on. This stuff is like a wax almost, well same consistency at least. I'll let you know how it works....if it does.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Mine use to be faded but I now use Meguiars vinal and plastic protectant. Damn what a difference:D , it is now very nice and rich black but to keep the nice color you need to put on once a week or so. It works so good so try it or the mothers back to black (never used but many people say it works good).

·
Registered
880 Posts
say it was to get painted, do you guys think that the paint would stay there? I know that the black plastic like that is infamous for repelling paint and gets nicked easily. I just wanted to know if this plastic would hold better than others or if it's the same thing that's on the 94+ models just unpainted. I'm gonna be getting my grill painted and I need to know if it'd be worth it to paint the side molding with the left over paint. If it isn't then I'll just start using the Back to Black stuff.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Make sure you find a good body shop. My friend did my old P10 a few years back. It was they silvery blue P10 and he has to use a special paint since the mouldings were plastic. Make sure if you do it do it right!

·
Registered
880 Posts
But did it hold or did it come off? 'Cause I don't want to waste 400 bucks on something that's just gonna peel/rub off over time.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Whoa man, You are getting ripped. I paid $150 Canadian and got the mouldings(middle of the car doors, quarters and bumpers) all around the car. It all held fine except in Canada we have liscense plates on the fron of our cars and we have a liscense plate holder and around that it started to chip and peel because of how I park in my garage to fit my car

·
Registered
880 Posts
thanks for the info. I feel safe doing it now. As for paying $400 i was slightly exagerating. The estimate the guy gave me was $320 to do both the grill and the side moldings and bumpers. That's seems fair. The paint costs $30 (red=expensive) and labor is $75/hr. that's the norm for cali. And it will take about 4 hours to do everything, so it comes to about $320. So unless someone in the LA area can give me a shop that will do a good job and do it for less I will be paying $320.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
He is painting youw whole bumper? If so then $400 I guess is ok. Money is different here than it is there. When I hear $400 US thats like $700 here and thats a DET engine for me, so I was skeptical.

Oh, yea assk him to do your door handles if he has the special paint. TRust me you will love it unless you are getting the chrome.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Sure, but it might not be for a couple months as I will have to save up the cash to do it.

·
Registered
588 Posts
P10 trim

Hey hmmm... I was suffering from the jacked up trim as well..I went to pep boys and got me two cans of black bumper paint..it was about 5 bucks a can. I sprayed about 4 coats on there and its been looking new for about a year now..You just need to use some alchool or gas to clean all the crap and protectant off the trims. be sure to spend quality time masking your car to avoid overspray. use an abundance of masking tape and newspaper..Have a splended summer

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I had read a post saying to use expensive shoe shine. Havent tried it yet but it does have dye in it.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
I Just got something from pepboys that is like shoe polish for your cars black plastic trim it has the foam tip and everything. haven't used it yet though.

has anyone used the dupli-color spray paint for pices of their car? is it supposed to be fine grit sanded afterwards? when I have used it, it is not a smooth finish it is kind of "rough" looking. the primer coat of flat looked smoother than this. I have only noticed this with the duplicolor spray, not regular spray paint. I'm painting my inner taillights and my custom front grill

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've used the bumper Paint from Pep Boys as well on my 91 & 92. It's called "Plasti-Kote Flexible Bumper and Trim Paint". It works and looks great.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Mine have been painted for almost three years now with no problems whatsoever. I would highly recommend painting them. To avoid mismatched paint, just paint from the molding down on the sides and paint the entire bumpers, it wil look much better.

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
A lot of preping of the surface is required as I have seen a lot of people that thought they could just paint it and it all flaked off. Most importantly it needs to have some flex agent in it. But a body shop should know how to do it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
the duplicolor paint i've used seems that it doesn't spray as fine of a mist as regular spray paint. I think I will pick up some plasti cote paint to see if it is any better.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts