Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a JDM grill recently but it's the wrong color (it's close just not right, burgandy not red). I just wanted to know how to go about painting it without getting it on the emblem. Also if I should use a primer.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Suggestion not sure..

I have to preface this by saying I have not done any mods yet, but the grill is one of the first things I am looking into.

I imagine it is like any other paint project, tape, tape, tape.
Just tape over what you don't want panted and go to it.

What type of paint should you use for grill work? I am just looking at customizing a stock '99 G20t grill.

Also some pics of grills would be great. Have heard of Nismo, JDM, and IMPUL. Can't find any shots though. DigitalRacer sells them, but don't have pics.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Re: Suggestion not sure..

Erock99G20t said:
What type of paint should you use for grill work? I am just looking at customizing a stock '99 G20t grill.
Eric from www.g20style.com modified his 99 stock grille and it looks great

Erock99G20t said:

Also some pics of grills would be great. Have heard of Nismo, JDM, and IMPUL. Can't find any shots though. DigitalRacer sells them, but don't have pics.
www.p11-gt.co.uk has a pic of kevin shek's car with the nismo grille

·
Registered
20,844 Posts
Remove the emblem

BritCG20 said:
I got a JDM grill recently but it's the wrong color (it's close just not right, burgandy not red). I just wanted to know how to go about painting it without getting it on the emblem. Also if I should use a primer.
Just remove the emblem, clean it, paint it, put emblem back on. I sent mine in to a body shop, so I don't know how to paint though.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so how much to get it done at the body shop. I have hook up that can probably get it done for me for cheap, but I just wanted to know what the norm should be so I don't get ripped off if I do take it to a shop.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
BritCG20 said:
so how much to get it done at the body shop. I have hook up that can probably get it done for me for cheap, but I just wanted to know what the norm should be so I don't get ripped off if I do take it to a shop.
I checked one place and they quoted me $100. I have a Black Primera Grill. I just ended up putting a Nissan Logo on the stock grill as a fix until I feel like getting the JDM one painted. I'm getting some Falken Azenis so the Grill is not a priority. :)

I went to a paint shop and asked if they could make me a spray can of the stock color. The used the paint code and found the color. Problem is, the minimum they will mix is like 5 quarts for $38. Not bad, but then they have to make the spray cans for them. The cans and paint added up to eighty-something dollars. It seems like a good idea since I could use the excess paint to color the bottom of thee car, but I think I need to get familiar with the process a little more. I think I have to use a clearcoat or something. :eek:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Grille

Yea, i repainted my grille after i took of the Infiniti symbol, and i used this Plastickote touch up paint spray. They have one in a silver metalic that is really close to the color of my car. It comes in like a 7oz spray can. It works pretty well. You have to be carefull and coat it light and even. You can also buy a clearcoat spray as well (which i did). They only cost like $4.00 a can at Pep boys (both the clear coat and the color) It looks pretty good, but it still isnt as nice as a professional.
My reccomendation is, if you are painting stuff that isnt a really in a high visability area (stuff under the hood, under the car, in the car) or right next to the factory paint, use the touch up stuff. There is a pretty obvious difference in feel because the spray isnt as even and textured (like the factory or pro job) and the clear coat is a spray on rather than a bake on, so it doesn't feel as solid and look as glossy.

Oh yea, and i didnt use a primer, but i did sand it down pretty good with some 400 grit wet/dry sand paper....

Just my .02

·
Registered
20,844 Posts
Mike.Com said:
I checked one place and they quoted me $100
Same price here...but they eventually did it for free. When I got hit, the mirror on the right side had cracked.
They figured it would be about $300 to either:
Paint my mirrors, grille, and side markers
Order and paint a new mirror.

Ask how much your hook up will do it for. I would guess under $50.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah, it was the burgandy one off ebay about a month ago. although it looked red in the pictures. darn computer color distortions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts