Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on paintin my rims, but i live in the 'great white north' canada and its usually like -20'C..is it worth paintn my rims, i would be doing them in my garage and with spray paint. also how do i go about spraying my rims do i have to sand them down and primer? how do i do it

·
Registered
348 Posts
Im currently doing that also. You do have to sand down the rims and remove any paint or primer. Clean off any dirt or dibry before you primer the rims. DO NOT use heavy coats do at least 2 LIGHT ones. Then paint them whatever color you want and wet sand before you clearcoat the rims. Just remember to sand off any drip spots before you finish.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
g20kidd said:
im planning on paintin my rims, but i live in the 'great white north' canada and its usually like -20'C..is it worth paintn my rims, i would be doing them in my garage and with spray paint. also how do i go about spraying my rims do i have to sand them down and primer? how do i do it
You can't paint unless the rims and surrounding air is around 18 C or higher.

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
hehe ive done it twice now, and the second time i did it right. wheels OFF the car, sand down (mostly just to scuff the surface) not too low or high a grit, something enough to take off a layer. then i used a primer, then a satin enamel, and then a satin polyeurethane clear coat.

gotta go easy easy layers on the poly or itll turn yellow

took me 17 hours

·
Registered
414 Posts
on the p10 there is like a thin coating on the aluminum and it was all bubbling and nasty on mine so i used paint stripper and got it off then sanded the surface and painted it with duplicolor wheel paint with a spaceheater on. they look really nice

·
Registered
311 Posts
this sounds interesting, does anyone have any pictures of there painted rims? I was thinking of painting or buy new rims.

g20kidd if you do paint your rims, I would love to see how they came out, to see if I would do it my self.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i just have normal spray paint enamel and clear coat...so what kind of spray paint should i be going with. i kno that light coats it will come out its best. and should i pull off the tires? also should i use flat black and then the clear coat or should i just use gloss paint. no problem black hawk if my parents and brother let me paint inside the garage with a propane tank heater going beside the race car ill be doing it this weekend.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Whenever I paint anything aluminum I usually use aircraft stripper to get off any grease/ lose paint/ clearcoat/ powdercoating.. then I use a wire brush to break lose anything that the paint stripper bubbled up.. then I hose off the piece.. dry and then clean with acetone and then I spray on an etching primer (very important when working with aluminum) if you paint on raw aluminum and it is not A) sandblasted or B) have an etch primer.. the will not adhere and bubble off..

If you just scuff the powercoating you should be fine.. but an etching primer over the roughed up powdercoating will make SURE it adhere.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok thanks for the steps man... what kind of paint do i use and acetone i forget exactly what that is and where can u get it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts