Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well its bout time i started getting the parts i need to turbo my de, for a period of time i suddenly went BB happy and decided to do a full swap instead! (wat was i thinking of???) i finally realized that the de is a better start to building a better bottom end. so wat i need now is basically an input on which parts to get inorder to make my de run with the turbo. i think im gonna go with the t28 trim on my 2002 g20 (5-speed). so any input will make me most gracious =)

oh yeah btw from wat i heard from before at AF, b00gie said that my ecu will not work and reprogramming it is impossible cause of incryption and JWT has not broken the code?? correct me on anything if i am wrong.

Thanks

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
I cant really comment on the parts you need unless you lay out exactly what you want....

How much HP? How much money?

In regards to the ECU issue:

The 2000+ recieved a different ECU which JWT is apparently still working on. Until this becomes a reality you basically have 2 options...

1) Use a JWT ecu for a 95-97 B14. This will require rewiring every single wire on your ECU connector. This is the method I will be using.

2) If you run a small turbo setup you can get away with using a piggyback fuel controller, but you MUST get it tuned by a professional. These devices make it very easy to do a ton of damage in a matter of seconds. They dont call them dial-a-booms for nothing.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well im not looking to be running super fast just able to make it up those hills =b but i do want to use the t-28 turbo and if not then the t-25 would be fine. basically just the basic parts i need to get the turbo mounted and running.

horsepower figure wise i guess like 200 - 260 is nice, and price hmm, dont really have a price, im just gonna pay as much as i have to.

and bout the ECU,
haha thanks for reminding me, i remember u telling me that your gonna rewire the whole thing haha. u dunt have a diagram for the wiring yet?? =) and just a question, would a reprogrammed 99 g20 ecu work and if not y not?

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heres wat i have down

-FMIC (i remember seeing the dimensions for it before from AF, anyone have the link?)
-turbo (still debating between 28 or 25 depending on wat parts i would need to make them work)
-ecu...(i dunno how to rewire the 95-97 one so i guess i have to do the piggyback thing :crosseyed )
-piping
-BOV
-exhaust manifold (any DET e-manifold would work rite?)

hmm damn i forgot the rest, input please =)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Gosh....you gotta do a lot more reading and researches to know what you need for your turbo application. We can't really tell you oh, you gotta have this oh I think you need that and oh btw, this will looks great. What we can do is to give you advice what to look for. First is to distinguish between "want" and "need", "must have" and "nice to have". Set yourself a wheel-horsepower goal. Set yourself a budget then multiply that by 1.5 factor. Cost is dependent of whp output.

Then you need to learn what parts go where and how to connect it, its compatibility the who she bang. Learn the functionality of each part so that you can differentiate between "okay" versus "good" performances. If you want to do it right the first time, do a lot of planning and learning. My two cents.

P.S. You have made a great initiative by deciding where to start. So keep reading... :)

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
akuma810 said:
... and just a question, would a reprogrammed 99 g20 ecu work and if not y not?

I'm not sure it's possible to reprogram a 99 G20 ECU. A few people have said you could but I have no idea where they came up with this. As far as I know JWT can only re-program ECU's up to the 1997 year.

Luke had a 99 w/ a DET and could not use his ECU, he had to also swap to the 95-97 SE-R ECU.

The 99 has the same type of connector as the earlier ECU's, and almost all the wires are in the same place. You can swap to a 95-97 ECU if you have a 99. It will plug right in, but you will have to rewire a few connections.

For 2000+ the ECU's have a totally different connector. To use a 95-97 ECU you will have to remove your stock ECU connector and rewire *every* wire into the older style ECU connectors.

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
b-b00gie said:

The 99 has the same type of connector as the earlier ECU's, and almost all the wires are in the same place. You can swap to a 95-97 ECU if you have a 99. It will plug right in, but you will have to rewire a few connections.
You also need to replace the second O2 sensor with one from an 200sx SE-R.

·
Registered
48 Posts
b-b00gie said:

Luke had a 99 w/ a DET and could not use his ECU, he had to also swap to the 95-97 SE-R ECU.

THIS is the information I've been looking for. The only thing holding me back from dropping in the BB DET turbo (NOT the motor) was the ECU issue. I was confused on whether or not I would be able to run it without the ECU.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
One other thing to think about... that hp range you listed would put you right between two injector sizes, between two turbos (manifold would change too), and possibly two different MAFs as well. If you need a place to go study I'd recommend the turbo section of the sr20deforum.com forum.

·
Registered
424 Posts
damn frikin' 2000+ ECU

....it has just gotta be resolved! This is the one and only outstanding issue that is holding up every G20 owners from doing swap or turbo. If this issue remains unresolved at time of my turbo application, I might drop the whole idea and just go with the basic mods. If push comes to shovel, I might trade in the G for the STi.

akuma810, to learn more about turbo and turbo-related issues, go to the sr20deforum and sign yourself up. There is a thread on FAQ on turbo and someone took the initiatives to list a few options there. Read more to learn.......

jIm

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: damn frikin' 2000+ ECU

G-loads said:
....it has just gotta be resolved! This is the one and only outstanding issue that is holding up every G20 owners from doing swap or turbo. If this issue remains unresolved at time of my turbo application, I might drop the whole idea and just go with the basic mods. If push comes to shovel, I might trade in the G for the STi.

akuma810, to learn more about turbo and turbo-related issues, go to the sr20deforum and sign yourself up. There is a thread on FAQ on turbo and someone took the initiatives to list a few options there. Read more to learn.......

jIm

haha i know this thread was a lil while ago. and the ECU issue has been solved i think, there was a thread going on a lil while ago from a b15 with a DET swap i believe.
Quoted:

"I actually wired in the 1996 ECU. The way you get around the NVIS security crap is by bypassing it at the harness. What the NVIS module does is shut the Cam angle position sensor, the fuel pump relay and the ignition circuits down when the system is activated. The way to bypass it, is to intercept these wires and run them directly to the ECU when you are rewiring it. Normally they run to the NVIS module first and then to the ECU. If you put them directly to the ECU, the module still activates, as you can see from the red light on the dash..but it can't control the engine anymore, because it has been cut out of the loop. Hope this makes some sense.. I've actually taken the time to make a wire to wire chart. In other words, you start at pin number 1 on the older ECU harness and the chart tells you where to cut it in on the other harness. It's very easy with that chart and it took me about 8 hours total to cut, splice, solder and shrink wrap all the wires. The 02 sensor has to be swapped for a 96 on, and the coolant temp. sensors as well. If you turbo your existing motor, you will have to swap the idle air control valve as well. To do this, a special bracket is needed to make it work. I have access to a C&C machine if you need one made. "

"Yeah, it's a '96 SE-R JWT ECU. Make sure you get the 96 or 97 one. The 95 has some tuning issues for some reason. I think the OBD II is different. I'll send you the files this afternoon. I need to make some small revisions on them from some stuff I noticed when I was doing the swap. I also need to add the wire colors along side the pin numbers on the charts. This will help out greatly. You will also need the 96-97 front 02 sensor. The rear one can be disregarded. The IACV valve has to be changed over too. You will need to have a bracket made to mount it on. The old setup mounted it on the intake manifold...so the new bracket will have to match that surface and have two holes that you can either weld or thread two hoses barbs to...that way you can run those hoses to the intake side. The IACV controls your idle by letting air bypass the Throttle body. When a load is placed on the motor(power steering, blower fan, headlights)at idle...the valve compensates for this and lets more air in so the engine doesn't kill. That's pretty much it though. Everything else works fine."

what do u guys think?

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm this should probably be in a ECU thread if its real....

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
g-loads: haha i just noticed, im looking into the same setup ur aiming for. basically.

·
Registered
424 Posts
akuma810 said:
g-loads: haha i just noticed, im looking into the same setup ur aiming for. basically.
I knew I shouldn't have posted it. Someone someday will get the very saaaaaaaaaame idea :)

That's too much work for an ECU. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts