Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you guys mount your front plate? In So Cali...a lot of cops will give you tickets for putting it in your windshield. I got like 3 of them when I did it for my civic.

I want to take off that nasty black license plate mount...but I don't want to deal with cops pulling me over JUST for the plates. Which has happened to me all too often.

Any tips? What are some of you guys doing?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Mine hung on a hinge. It looked perfectly normal until I got some speed on the freeway. Then it'd flip up and lie flat against the bottom of the bumper (kinda).

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
geez

I don't think the bracket is all that bad.. you can always paint it to match body color/bumper color to have it blend in more?

on a previous car, I just bolted the front plate directly to the bumper because I was too lazy to invest in a replacement plastic holder thing.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
baco99 said:
what about behind the lower air intake? is there enough room?
That will likely cause overheating.

Most of the air for the radiator comes from the lower opening.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I personally don't like that damn thing at all. But this year, california got strict on the not having the front plate since most interesections here have the cameras.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
trust me, dont put it on your front dash
you dont want that thing slicing a hole in your head
when you get into an accident

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EvilYak said:
trust me, dont put it on your front dash
you dont want that thing slicing a hole in your head
when you get into an accident

HAHAHAHAHAH....I don't plan on it. Right now it's mounted on the black mount. I'm just wondering if did anything to mount it without that black plate mount and how they did it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
are they still all crazy about the front license thing california?? I got a ticket for that in May of 2001, and I had to put it on. But I don't have a plate on anymore.

I heard a rumor that those cameras aren't enforceable anymore. I've never confirmed the rumor. Anyone hear anything about that??

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bruing20 said:
are they still all crazy about the front license thing california?? I got a ticket for that in May of 2001, and I had to put it on. But I don't have a plate on anymore.

I heard a rumor that those cameras aren't enforceable anymore. I've never confirmed the rumor. Anyone hear anything about that??
I heard both sides of the story. I'm moving to Irvine, and when I was driving my civic, I have gotten 2 tickets for that in irvine. Since there are so many cars without it, I think I rather play it safe....I don't mind the front plate...but that mount is just huge....to me it's an eyesore.

But I have seen a lot of people caught with those things...and a lot of people who say that they can't enforce it. I dunno exactly what is the case, but they still use them for now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
fuzzynaval said:

I heard both sides of the story. I'm moving to Irvine, and when I was driving my civic, I have gotten 2 tickets for that in irvine.

When did you get those tickets? I haven't heard of anyone getting stopped for a front license plate in several months... i'm hoping they don't care about it anymore. I was ticketed over a year ago. My first and only ticket (knock on wood). I'm hoping i can slide without the plate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Here in TX the front plate law is STRICTLY enforced. Along with the seatbelt law. The cops are really thick here, I don't mean from eating doghnuts either. :lol:

I don't think it looks so bad having the front plate on as long as it's mounted properly and not bent. Nothing quite like hanging your shin on a bent up front plate while walking between cars in a parking lot. :angry:

·
Registered
233 Posts
doughnuts that is.. cream filled... chocolate iced... :lick:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1995g20t said:
Here in TX the front plate law is STRICTLY enforced. Along with the seatbelt law. The cops are really thick here, I don't mean from eating doghnuts either. :lol:

I don't think it looks so bad having the front plate on as long as it's mounted properly and not bent. Nothing quite like hanging your shin on a bent up front plate while walking between cars in a parking lot. :angry:

Like I said earlier...I don't mind the front plate.... I just hate that big ugly black mount.

·
Registered
222 Posts
front plate

had mine in the lower intake , '80s Z28 style , looked good there . switched registaration back to florida, ditched the front plate idea .in alaska you dont have to worry about cooling problems the more you block off the beatter off you are , have seen raditiors freeze and plug up when its 65 blelow outside and running 65+mph , im almost sure you would have cooling problems in cali . the highest temp the car has seen dureing my ownership is 89 degrees
when i got the car it had no front plate and no holes in the bumper and i would be damned to have had to drill into it to keep alaska cops happy , so ziptied into the lower grill/intake it went .

just be glad you dont have a 1993 cavalier , plate sits on the drivers side on a braket that is almost as big as the bumper itself , still not sure what it is about GM and plastic but man they sure love it espiclly pontiac , it was a sad day when the GTO debued with its "endura" plastic nose , was the begging of the plastic era at GM ....

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Hmmm

I think those traffic cameras aren't a big issue anymore. When I was in San Diego, I got 3 tickets for no front plates (3 in 5 months), But that was like a year and a half ago. Im in Irvine right now, and they really dont seem to care. They dont seem to mind tint very much either.:crosseyed

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
location location location

I drove without a front plate years ago with my Merkur and a Chicago cop gave me a ticket.. I got out of it in court and took the plate back off.. never got pulled over again... just bad luck.. wrong place at the wrong time..

...but I know some locations are more picky about it.. just as some cops are.... It all just depends... you take your chances is all...

All you need to do is get some velcro or double sided tape if you get a ticket and take a photo of it on the front, take it to court and you get out of the ticket.. no biggie!

·
Registered
222 Posts
merkur

wheres the merkur now?those things were badass turbo 4 independent rear supension, rear drive, monsters . seen the one with a 3.8 out of a S/C T-Bird?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I actually just got pulled over this past weekend for having my front license plate and bracket off. I had it off for nearly 3 months and they finally got me. When the cop pulled me over, I thought he was gonna get me for my tint, but it was for not having my font license plate on. I told him I was on my way to the Infiniti dealership to order one. He gave me a warning and told me to get it fixed soon. hahah, yea rite. fuk it, i'm still gonna keep it off!
late

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
fuzzynaval said:

Like I said earlier...I don't mind the front plate.... I just hate that big ugly black mount.
I'm sure there's some way to take it out. Just try to see how it's held in. I took mine off my P10 so I'm sure there's a way to unbolt it unless it's just part of the bumper. ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts