Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a real old fart, I'm quite content to plod about in my stock P10 A/T. But I do vaguely remember that whenever Messrs. Benz, Buggatti, Bentley and I got to chatting, the topic was always about modifying the stock model for performance.

It seems things have not changed much and that many of the G20 threads are concerned with performance mods. However, from the posts, it seems that the level and spectrum of knowledge and expertice is huge: from guys who don't even know what car they own, to bona fide experts.

It would seem to me that, if some of the experts could come to some agreement in rating the performance mods, in terms of anticipated % increase in performance vs $, it might save a lot of time and frustration.

Post the opinions of the experts and quote the URL whenever a question arises. It may also be worthwhile to explain in a standard post, that wheras some mods may increase overall performance, others are only effective within a specific rev range etc. Just my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not a big performance expert but I can tell u some of my experience with perforance options. First off, anything that will allow more air to exit and enter the engine is going to increase horsepower.

With this thought in mind you can buy a hi-flow intake for around $200 , add a free flowing muffler good for another $200 and you might make an added 5-10 hp. In my opinion your getting more bang for your buck here that is why I chose this setup on 95 g20.

P.S.--Lots of stillen parts for the G @ www.i-m-racing.com Check it out!!!!!

-§r20 Man

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I am pretty sure this has been disgused before, try searching bang for buck, or best bang for the buck, something like that. However, if I were to make a list, it would probably go something like this:
  • complete tune up (should always be done first, unless very low miles on the car)
  • 91 intake cam (for 94-99 G20's) *install could be expensive
  • CAI (used it cheaper)
  • Header (used is cheaper)
  • pullies
  • lightened flywheel (M/T only, sorry) getting the stock one lightened would be an even better bang for the buck over an aftermarket one too as it's a fraction of the cost *install could be expensive
  • exhaust (used is cheaper)

Used parts will make it even more gain per $$$, but might not be brand new and pretty parts either.... just depends what you are looking for. That was also just right off the top of my head and was only listing engine mods. suspension mods will change that too, depending on how much suspension work you want to do. two easy things i'd recommend to do would be shifter bushing and short shifter, those two things made a nice difference for very little $$$ too.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Read this article....

http://www.se-r.net/car_info/engine_performance_tuning.html

Its a great beginners guide on what mods are availble for the SR20 engine and what the expected Hp gains are. Well written and covers just about all the bolt on applications and then some...

Everyone should bookmark this page.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
This is off of SE-R.net too:
NOS [nitrous] offers you more performance per dollar spent, than any other performance modification.

... ... ...Nitrous installations are relatively easy to accomplish.
Since nitrous is used only when needed, it offers you the advantages of complete driveability and normal gas mileage while not "on the button".
Systems are available for virtually any power need from 25HP to over 500 extra HP.
These systems are one of the few performance options available for today's computer controlled, fuel injected engines.
Systems can be easily removed or transferred to another vehicle... ... ...
I've always been a believer. Besides getting used parts as JustinP10 mentioned earlier; dollar for dollar, cent for cent... nitrous gives the greatest gains.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
FF Drifter said:
I've always been a believer. Besides getting used parts as JustinP10 mentioned earlier; dollar for dollar, cent for cent... nitrous gives the greatest gains.

The bad thing about nitrous is that it does run out, and can be rather expensive to get it filled all the time too. Also I thought it was illegal to have hooked up in some states while on public roads (right?)?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
True...true. I have friends who run around public roads with N20, it's just not hooked up. I don't know if that makes them legal or not, but they claim that as long as their hoses aren't attached, they're "perfectly fine."

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
FF Drifter said:
True...true. I have friends who run around public roads with N20, it's just not hooked up. I don't know if that makes them legal or not, but they claim that as long as their hoses aren't attached, they're "perfectly fine."
Yeah, i think as long as it's not hooked up you're fine, it's just if it's hooked up then you're in deep sh*t. :surprised But it also might depend on the cop, circumstances, etc... I just know I wouldn't want to get caught with a system hooked up in my car while I was just driving around.

·
Registered
354 Posts
does anyone here have a nos setup in their p11 or p10? how much hp are u pushing...how well does it feel...i was also wondering how much wheeltorque and wheel hp would a 35hp shot of nos give u. thanks
nick

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Turbo
Turbo
Turbo
Turbo
Turbo
Turbo
Turbo......

·
Registered
614 Posts
Along with Geo, I will definitly agree that turbo is one of the best bang for the bucks. By the time you spend money on header, cams, pullies, etc., you will almost have enough for a DET.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
radicalG20 said:
Along with Geo, I will definitly agree that turbo is one of the best bang for the bucks. By the time you spend money on header, cams, pullies, etc., you will almost have enough for a DET.
True dat! Ive spent about $2500+ on all that gear and no turbo....but dont forget all the little things that are needed with a turbo install....so add another $1000 or so....and thats a wild guess...Geo would have more info on that one...

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Or you could just paint your car " YELLOW" because everyone knows that yellow paint and a giant wings makes you car goes faster ... all for a $199 trip to Maaco and $250 spoiler .....

( I am just kidding );) ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
poppy_morenito said:
Or you could just paint your car " YELLOW" because everyone knows that yellow paint and a giant wings makes you car goes faster ... all for a $199 trip to Maaco and $250 spoiler .....
Dont forget the stickers.....lots of them....the more you add the faster your car goes....TONS of free Hp!!!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yahnozha said:

Dont forget the stickers.....lots of them....the more you add the faster your car goes....TONS of free Hp!!!!
and a 5in exhaust tip. everyone knows that's the best way to free up at least 20-40hp.

in all honesty, bang for buck, the best bet is turbo. but that's 4-5 big ones at once as opposed to 3k for everything spread out (assuming you don't go totally na modded at once).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts