Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

How far should this carputer go? I'm curious to see what you think!

Phase One- Stereo

22K views 69 replies 13 participants last post by  GenesisFactor 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a 5 phase project. Post will be edited every now and then for specifications and things i forgot to mention. I am going to put in a carputer in my 92 G20. This is a poor man's project, so a few of you might be interested, starting from a stock system. It will incorperate the use of yesterday's (or last week's) tech at times. I know i'm going to need your help on a few things as this was supposed to be for my celi (i know i mention it everywhere, but i LOVED that car...my gf says i should love this one even more and so will the back seat passengers. My friends say this because they want me to turn it into a skyline).

I'm going to go with what i have right now in hand. Also, i'm looking for best sound quality, not loudest. My friend has the loudest system in NY state at 168dB and is still upgrading. I, however, want to hear my grandkids scream when i smack them for talking back. As time progresses, things will be upgraded or phase two will proceed.

PHASE 1- STEREO (below)
PHASE 2- CORE COMPUTER SYSTEM (laptop, touch screen LCD- where i left off on the celica, possible multiple screen system)
PHASE 3- PERIPHERALS INSTALLATION (GPS, cameras, proximity sensors - sonar/radar, )
PHASE 4- INTEGRATION INTO FINAL PRODUCT (specialized GUI development, deciding user interface, controller boards for different settings...little extras ;-))

No sat radio yet. The lights will come. Things that may or may not rock your world will come. Right now, phase one is good sound. I don't want too much hash for this inital set up, i can switch up things like the amp or head unit at any time when i find a proper one for the application. The first thing i want to know is this: What is the best config for my current set up transfered into my G20

• Speakers
    4x6 Infinity reference 4601cf (...waiting for it to arrive)
    6.5 MTX (pulled from celica)
    Head unit: dual XD6100 (a VERY good reason for this- will be upgraded- pulled from celica)
    Rockford Fosgate Punch amp (pulled from celica)
    Koiller 7760 Amp (pulled form celica)
    Full range kicker box (2x of tweeters, mid, sub - pulled form celica)

I want to do the whole thing in infinity reference speakers and alpine of RF amps as i hear they produce the best quality for the buck, so the MTX will go eventually. The koiller amp will DEFINTELY be upgraded to better. Right now, the RF will go to the kicker box. I will later move it to the speakers when the amps are upgraded.

See less See more
#2 ·
Okay, so here's the reason why i'm doing this (had to leave earlier)
1. this system will cost me <$800 and can be used to help others
2) every once in a while i'll need help

Right now, i need a sugestion help: what amp should i use with this system. Just knwo i have NO IDEA what that kicker box puts out, but i know i need over 1500. ALso, will i need an aftermarket alt? I assume i'll need a capacitor just for theamp so i don't drain the batts. Does anone have any experience wit lillitput touch screen and modifying them into the dash?

#3 ·
Hit up Erikbronx and DaPCwiz for all your CarPC questions... both have carputers running and I'm pretty sure they're both runnin' lilliput screens also. Fraychild has had a CarPC too.

Erikbronx custom fiberglassed his enclosure for his monitor for his P10, the other two have double-din openings (in a 240sx and P11, repsectively).

By the way, did you jack a Celica? hahah

Dave

#4 ·
haha, not jack as much as "jack up". Yeah, i'm trying to do something different. I just want it done in the cheapest way possible to be used as a model for my friends at SBU. Their models cost about a grand, without the stereo. Mine will cost $800 with stereo. So far, i have the costs out as such

laptop: $150
front speakers: $21
Head unit: TBA (i'm going to upgrade...)
LCD unit: TBA (probably about 250-280)
Rear speakers: TBA (maybe 20-40)
Full range box amp: TBA (i was going to pick up an Reference for 80, but it was sold at CC when i checked back for it)
Speaker amp: Rockford punch (i'm going to go with ebay value at $50-$70)
total so far is

unless i added something wrong (simple math seems to elude me post accident) its roughly 711. Software is free form SBU and i didn't include wires. I coudl get a hwole system for like $300 and then it would really work out well, but its been a whiel since i had $300 just lying around. And i'm the type of guy who likes to not pay or pay little for things but get them legitly. I think college forces that into you. Hey, i mean, i bought three cars in the past month and i still have cash enough to buy speakers...okay i don't but still. Thank God my firned is designing the GUI for free since he's doing it himself as well....

#5 ·
okay...scratch EVERYTHING that i said before...did some new resepch and i'm VERY pleased. First, because i'm running a carputer, i don't need a head unit. Guess what's going up for sale or trade. Secondly, that Rockford Fostgate Punch amp is an old school 4040DSM MOSFET Amp. 20x4 RMS...yeah right 0.05 THD. Bullet proof sucker. THe best part is that i can dasiy chain my koiiler wihtout any extra tools as it has that feautre built right in. The 4601cf's came in. ALmost sold them, but i'm thinking about it after talking to an audiophile's recommendations of it. i lost my first infinity bid for the 6012i's. 2 days from now i'll check back with whther i won or lost the seocnd one. But now i need some help from YOU guys...

What's a good box design for a full range? I have all the compnents, i just need to build the actual thing. Thanks for all your help you guys (i'm been talking to a few of you via IM). I can't wait to get better...

#6 · (Edited)
UPDATE

First and foremost, the ONLY reason why there are no pics is because my dimage F300 (digi cam) is screwing up and giving crap pics. Second, i was never an organized guy. I've completeld disregarded the phase structure. I'm just jumping around as things come to me.

PHASE 1 Progress:

Phase 1 is 85% done. I now need cables and wiring. I'm considering a distribution block. Lost the infinity bid (skyrocketed to $44) but am making a few other deals that are pending. I just traded a Pocket PC for a basslink! Can you tell i'm happy?

• No head unit (with a CPC, i found it its not neccessary. I'll be getting 4.1 surrond sound though :naughty: )
    FRONT:4x6 infinity 4601C. They came :). Leaving neutral feedback. They don't deserve it
    REAR: TBD. Either Kappa 63.7i's or Reference 6002i's
    SUB: Basslink. No introduction needed, enough said.
    SPEAKER AMP: Rockford Fosgate 4040dsm. old school, hard core.

PHASE 2 Progress

Phase 2 is also close to completion. I've decided to use either my old IBM Transnote, which has a broken screen.or my ShuttleX. I need to sell the zt1100 for money towards a motorized touch screen LCD. I'm actually also selling my old stereo . I have so many accessories for the IBM, it will be well worth it to put it to use after all these months. Plus it is a very cool and stable machine, perfect for carputer applications. It needs anoterh 128MB of ram to be as clost to peefct as possible. However, on the flipside, the ShuttleX is a gaming rig. It would be great to link up wirelessliy with other cars for head to head in a multiplayer game.

PHASE 3 Progress:

Phase 3 is getting there. Buying a ShuttleXpress from a guy in Jersey. Basically, this thing works like the iDrive system in a beemer. very cool. I'm buying a bulk load of blue LEDs from a seller on Ebay. I wanted green (Xbox colors are HOT, i don't care what anyone says). but a few friends of mine are getting in on this action, including my girl for her MX-3 christmas present, so they won. Green may not have been as nice for the tan leather interior. I'm hoping the get a controller card for the lights so that my computer controls them. I'm also hoping to get a CCD night vision back up camera to mount in the bumper. I'm tempted to get one in the front as well for a real time display if i need to look down at the screen for any reason. I need to get a 600-800W power inverter to run the computer without issues (assuming that i use the shuttleX). There is a chance that i will need a capacitor.

PHASE 4 Progress:

the least completed of the 4. Well, XP is now my base operating system. Saddened in a way, but happy in others. My voice command program, which can talk back to you, is installed and i'm tweaking it for my purposes. I really need to develop a nice GUI. Are there any programmers out there? Still considering using my CF GPS, although i still need a good mapping program. Anybody have any good ones?

OVERALL
I have mixed feelings about this project. With the stereo, the list price is well over my mark. Without, when i buy the screen, which my decision is yeilding a path $200 more expensive than the original, it will pass the mark by a few hundred.

#7 ·
awesome! another car pc

Just don't go cheap on the screen!! Let me know if you have any questions

#8 ·
hehe, trust me, that's the only reason why i don't have a screen yet. Doing a motorized in dash. Pretty much that, the rear speakers, and the distro block with misc wiring is all that's left in terms of hardware. Still trying to mess around with software. If i could post an attachment, i'll show you some screen shots of what i've done, but as for not, PS7 is my friend. If you have any recommendations or anything, that will be sweet. :)

#9 ·
UPDATE

My proposed front end is a piece of freeware called Media engine. Hopefully, coupled wiht the ShuttleXpress (which is fun). Due to some stupid IBM lockware, i'm stuck with Win2000, but that's okay. The stability is nice. and since i have a front end, its all okay. Plus, if i screw up anything, i can easily get it back to IBM specifications.

I'm working on a customized screen. If i can, i'll post some pics. I'm trying for simple, refined, and elegant, like an infiniti's outer, exterior in an effort to make it look stock.

Right now, i'm havng some hardware conflicts that i need to sort out, so once that's settled, and everything runs smoothly, i'll show you what it will look like. I'm having some issues with integrating the voice command, but that's not for this forum to help, unless you can. Also the CF GPS isn't being cooperative. Ah well, we'll see...

#11 · (Edited)
OKay, this is my car. Its a 92 G20 (duh) Automatic with 132K miles on it or something. Leather int with the works other htan the sunroof. It has a few light problems with it, like me messing up the studs, and the tires and seats dry rotted...and the DS widnows doesn't move,though the motor whines...but its still my new baby...and its gorgeous!

I've bought the stock rims center caps for a bargin at $15 shipped for all 4, but until i can get enough cash to get new tires, those rims are coming off. I'm replacing them with these

cheapies yes, they even came with my celica, but they're still nice looking on the G, esp when i clean them up, maybe even paint them

Now for what people want to know: the carputer. I have no pics of the GUI interface yet as its not done, but thus far, these are most of the parts:

THat is "The Tray" Many laptops lives were saved on that tray. This comatose Transnote one will be saved for the purpose of my Carputer. The Blue Maxtor One Touch is not going into the system, but a sliver 2.5" enclosure will be added. There's a CF GPS card sticking out on the side (Ambicom), the ShuttleXpress for an iDrive like optional interface (i'm doing voice and touch, but this will be good doing things like volume and searching through 20Gb of songs), a DVD portable drive bay 2000 enclosure from IBM, and last but not least, an Audigy NX. The latter is plugging into this:

The RF 4040dsm is my speaker amp as i stated before. it will be driving a set of Infinity References, which i now need to repurchase as i'm selling my other system to buy the motorized in dash screen. It fits a G20 perfectly somehow, and a new G owner is getting a LOVELY discount on a great system. I'm doing IR all throughout, as stated before, so I'll just start over. The Basslink needs no introduction.=, but will serve as my subs and amp.

Here is the dash, we all know it, but hey, the notes will help.

Finally, a new update: Cash is VERY short. Its my gf's Bday soon (getting her some Hibben pro throwing knives and a book so she can be more accurate than me). I'm owed quite a bit of money from lost pay due to this accident, enough to rebuy everything, including the car the laptop, speakers and amp. Until that money comes in, or i get a flood of more, the project is on a light hold, except getting my car on the road, the GUI, and getting more gear.

I am wiring it up with street wires, ground up. Everything's in blue. Using is distribution block to power the amps and inverter. Mu only hope is tthat i'm not going to kill the battery. If i find a good yellow time, that would be wonderful. Right now i'm looking for a good EQ. Since i didn't get some outrageously big amp and subs, i have lots of space in my trunk (yay). my choices are as follows:

LIKE NEW ALPINE MODEL 3402 EQUALIZER! MANUAL INCLUDED AWESOME PURE CLEAN COMPETION SOUND , FRONT AND REAR OUT COUNTLESS ADJUSTMENTS THIS SET SOUNDS AND LOOKS GREAT!
*IT HAS 4 INPUTS AND 4 OUTPUTS

*IT HAS FOUR CHANNELS (3 & 4 BANDS)

*TWO CHANNELS (7-BAND)( FOR CHANNEL 1 & 2 ) specs are: BAND one 20Hz to 700Hz BAND 2 : 150Hz to 5KHz, BAND 3 1.2 KHz to 22KHz ( FOR CHANNEL 3&4): BAND 1 20Hz to 700Hz BAND 2 : 80Hz TO 2.6khZ BAND 3: 400 Hz to 13.2 KHz BAND 4 : 1.2KHz to 22KHz SIZE IS 10- 3/16TH " X 6- 1/4 "
low pass from 25 to 200 Hz,
Two pairs of high pass Outputs for Front and Rear stereo channels
one pair of non Fading mono sub outputs for low pass app.
Lp crossover slope fixed @ 18 dB per octave
Hp crossover slope fixed @12 dB per octave
Dc to Dc , 30 volt bi-polar Power Supply for outstanding Dynamic range.Isolation from Noise, and incresed Output Voltage

There's also a pioneer deQ 7600 full screen digital graphic eq. don't know how good that is. C'mon guys, help an EQ noob out. Its the only part of the stereo i am not farmiliar with.

OKay, that's it for now, i'll be back when someone comments or there's a major update:)

#12 ·
oh, i wanted to creat a poll...do you think i should go flashy and outrageous for my GUI or Classy and simple. i ahve layouts for the latter one, but i realized that 2 years no photoshop makes dyer SUCK

#13 · (Edited)
Just picked up an audiocontrol 3xs last night for $20. Should be a good crossover, even though my amps have them built in. Its good to have because it claims to get rid of ground noise, period, which will make a great sounding install alot eaiser. Still looking for an eq i guess, 15 band to 1/3 octave. Bought my girl an MEI amp...but i can't find any specs on it. Anyone hear of this company at all? No bother. Oh, my night vision goggles came back repaired. I'm not sure how this will work with my carputer, but it does have a camera adapter for video cameras...hmmmm ;)

I just got back that laptop i sold due to non payment...and then resold it for about $75 less at $375. I'll still have to wait for cash, but it will come. Also, on a forum, someone was offering a new indash screen for 375. Could it be fate?

My linksys rebates came. Very happy. $105...and then i lost one.

#14 · (Edited)
Best. Company. Ever.

I'm not kidding, i've never dealt with a more high end and pleasant company in my life- and i've only called twice. I love this company, its professional, yet laid back. Audiocontrol has the BEST manuals. Here, take a read of their ESP-2 manual's second page.

If you’re a professional installer — or just hate manuals and have some experience with hooking up car stereos — simply hook the ESP-2 between your head unit’s pre-amp outputs and the power amplifier. Period.
If you have an AudioControl Epicenter, it goes BEFORE the ESP-2. If you have an equalizer, it should go AFTER the ESP-2. If you’re using the ESP-2 with an electronic crossover such as the 2XS, 4XS or the built-in one in the EQX, they go AFTER the ESP-2. See? This IS more complicated than you thought it was. Better relent and just read all of the instructions before proceeding.

https://myeporia.eporia.com/resources/company_38/ESP2_OM.pdf#search='audiocontrol%20esp2'

Its like this throughout the whole manual, in every manual. Its great. So's the company. I called them and asked them how much a power cord would be fore th 3xs, so they sent me one free. I didn't even own the 3xs yet and they did that. hell's yeah to that. They even taught me everyting i needed to know about equalizers at the asking. What company does that? Sorry, they just made me very happy, that's all. If you need an active crossover or EQ, pick them. No matter what, you're in impressive hands.

Okay, back to your regualrly scheduled G20 carputer worklog. :teeth:

#15 · (Edited)
for those of you who i showed and asked, yes, in the computer equipment pics, those are some of my drugs. No, you can't have any. :)

Wheel cap cetners arrived today. Atleast the stock wheels will look a bit nicer.

The car is giving trouble starting. There's another thread somewhere where i'm getting help, plus Blueenyamix, randyo156, and erikbronx are giving advice here and there. Them my G-Boyz. They got a little folder on AIM all to themselves. I've decided tat after putting in soem supper and jumpiong it, hearing it turn on was a relief, but it shut tiself off. I need to regap the sparks, change the old, and let it run out the crap that i left sitting there while i was in pain. At this point, when i get the studs done, inspection odne, and get my rims on, i'll be happier than i've been in a long time. Also, that means that i can focus on paying for that screen. I'm still a few months before installing this thing. Once i can bend over correctly and reach into the tight spaces, i'm rippin that thing apart, Pimp Your Ride style and getting down and dirty. But before i do ANY of that...alarm and tints. After all this work, if that thing gets stolen...no, i may say soemthing that will get me in trouble :smile: .

Still playing that that crossover. Amazing piece of work. Its fun cause they TELL you to take it apart.

I'm memorizing the way to install your speakers for this site. I'll figure it out.

#16 ·
So close

Well, i'm at the point of buying cables. i found a good deal online and i'm contructing a custom kit. However, when asked what i needed, it took me an hour to figure ou that i had no idea. And for good reason to. Despite everything, all the planning, all the diagrams, everything...i never actually attempted to see what fit best where. That was today. After getting my little brother to carry all the heavy stuff out (still can't lift), i found out that my original ideas would be a no go. Everything but the computer had to be in the trunk.

The space under the seats was too thin for the front amp to fit period, and it needs an inch clearance . It was just right for the ultra thin Transnote, but i'll have to see about a few things. The laptop NEEDS to be under the seat since hte caable to the DVD drive just isn't long enough. I mean, i can run a USB extenstion cable, yes...that should work, but not at 16 ft... Also, it looks like i'm stuck with a trunk mount eq. Its not disappointing, since its what i wanted to do anyways, but its definitely constricting since i HAVE to do it. . I'm approaching the days that i'll need to start modifying things.

On the flip side of things, inside vs outside, the rims do look nice on the car, even though they're not the cool, in style low pros. Then again, i never had any style. IT was black...and black...and khaki with black. Here are some pics of the rims. Only one was put on. I lost the key ot the locks, soooo...yeah...This time, however, i'm keeping the key in the car no matter what.

It will be shinier wehn itis cleaned. That particular rim has been through alot...like being the particular wheel that came off at 40. Its still good though...and its there. Why not use it? Its cheaper than mounting new tires on all 4 stock rims anyday!

In other news:
The guy for my stereo never showed up, but i'm getting paid for ly laptop in a week, so, the guy selling the screen is nice enough to hold it for me till then. I'm in great shape. I just bought a 256 dimm for my laptop, effectively maxing out its ram. It should run alot faster now. Very happy. Iguidance came in, and though it requires a USB GPS, i'm seeing if it will work with a CF card one, so that means the last little bit of my software selection gathering is done :). I still need to finish programming the one i have, but i can't do that until i figure out a few things. That's okay, i have the time. The alarm and tints go in before the computer. Just has to be that way for security reasons. Plus, it gives me a chance to look cool. IF anyone knows a cheap place to get tints, or has an extra alarm they're willing to give up cheap (with remote start) please, let me know.

#18 · (Edited)
Hey, thanks :). I can't wait to see you guys either! Yeah...right now...i am focusing on another problem for the time being:
http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?p=479621#post479621
Once i get it on the road, i'll be able to speed this project up a bit. The sad thing is, even though i'm not waiting for things i need to get this project done, except for that LCD, I'm physically and mentally going to be unfit to install it all myself until APRIL. I mean, i got my 12 year old brother to carry my goodies and put them into the trunk! My needs list are:

6.5 Infinity reference speakers
a 4 channel trunk mount eq
The wiring, which will be taken care off
A new inverter
The sofware integration

So close i can taste it. ;). If you have any tps or pointers at this pint, i'd love to hear em!

#19 ·
Updates and Specs

I have a saying: make sure your wheel go before your tunes flow. After figuring out what the problem was with my car, i ordered a replacement alt. THe only reason why its getting mention in this thread is because its a B15 2.0L '00-'01 Sentra alt. Hopefully it will produce all the power i need. Its in CT, so it should be a quick ship. I can't wait. Atleast, when running off the batt, i know the car runs. I'll be missing the CPC winter NYC meeting, which is this sunday, which BLOWS, because i was looking forwards to it.

I've been having a few problems wiht the laptop recently. I think its all coming form the USB 2.0 card. The only device that demands USB 2.0 is the 40GB External HDD. the Audigy NX aslo suggests it, but its not fully neccessary. All other devices can be hooked into a 1.1 hub. I just really want 2.0 speeds.

Also, after installing Iguidance 2.1 to my laptop, i found out that the CF GPS seems to not like working with the laptop. It looks sightly bent, much to my horror. Erikbronx, however, is being nice enough to hook me up with one of his old GPS recievers for a great price. Hopefully it will work before i install the 2.1.3 upgrade.

Still working on getting the wiring. Did the amp and fuse calculations. Even created a slightly confusing wiring diagram in Word, which doesn't seem to like being attached to anything. I'll try and PDF it in adobe, convert it into jpeg, and put it up later.

I was told about htis software called mediamonkey that fixes your music's ID tags using the Amazon.com database. I have 20 gigs of music and i'm lazy. Hells yeah, i dled that sucker as soon as i got a link. so far its working nicely. Its still compiling my music though.

I realized that i never put up my system specs. The wattage/Amp calculations are as follows

Unknown Max, Rockfosgate 4040dsm Amp (20x4)- good luck finding those specs. Needed to do a total of 190RMS-300W max though.
72W - IBM transnote (computer only)
400W max, 200RMS- Infinity Basslink
12W Protable Drive Bay 2000
7.5 - audigy 2 NX
~8W-10W- LCD screen
+40 watts for god knows whatelse.

Base RMS total is about 560W and the max grand total is 910W. The entire computing set up itself is ~170W.

25- basslink
??- 4040dsm (no fuse rating)
2.4- axim x5 (needs to be plugged in too)
1.5- NX
4.5-TN
2.4- DVD/PDB2000
1- 3xs

36.8 total, 26 stereo, 10.8 computing and counting

Its rough, but its not final
That means the inverter will be fused at the distro block that leads to it. Don't want to burn out the expensive toys!

As of this moment, with the stuff that's coming in, this is what they are:

Laptop/Computing:
Specs

Hardware
# Intel Pentium III M 600 MHz
# 196 MB RAM
# 10 GB hard drive + 40 USB 2.0
# Integrated LAN and 56 Kbps modem
# ATI Mobility M video card with 4 MB SDRAM
# 10.4-inch TFT 800 x 600 screen
# Creative Audigy NX USB 2.0 Sound card using 4 speaker setting
# IBM 8x DVD in a Portable DriveBay 2000
# Shuttle Xpress
# Logitech wireless keyboard (possibly)
# Thinkpad Multiport Hub (possibly)
# Linksys WUSB11 USB wireless B adapter

Software
# Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional SP4(possibly might upgrade to XP)
# Media Engine 2.3 Front End
# Iguidance 2.1.3 Navigation software
# Micorsoft Office 2003 Pro
# Adobe Acrobat 6.0 Pro
# Bruno Speech Recognition 1.31

Stereo
# Fronts: Infinity Reference 4x6 4601CF
# Amp: Rockford Fosgate 4040DSM
# Subs: Infinity Basslink
# Crossover: AudioControl 3xs

On it's way or preordered or in the middle of dealing
Laptop/Computing
# 256MB PC100 SoDIMM RAM
# USB extension cable
# 16' VGA extention cable
# VGA splitter (just in case i add another screen)
# BU-303 USB GPS
# DWW-700M Motorized Touch screen with indash housing

Stereo
# All wiring including distroboxes and fuses
# B15 Alt
# Infinity Reference 4x6 CFS (2005 model)

Still to get
Stereo
# Rears (possibly some kappas)
# eq (hopefully a trunk mount parametirc)
# dash kits and misc install stuff
# higher wattage (750W with 36 Amps) Inverter

#21 ·
If its the NYC CPC meet, i just bought a new alt on ebay yesterday. I own't make it either wihtout someoen driving me. I doubt things will be installed by the NYCG's meet either, looking at my health progress. i may have to get driven to both, but i hope the G will be the vechicle taking me to the NYCG's meet.

UPDATE:
256MB ram came in today. Wow...it was on the windows load screen before the monitor powered up. I wish there was a 512 PC100 stick!

Laptop now has 320MB of ram. More than enough to rip through media files in Win2K

#22 · (Edited)
I've got a question. Who actually reads this thread? I mean, i don't think i have 870 views for no reason. Honestly, i want a few posts from people who read it. i'm just curious to see. I really would like suggestions and comments.

MAJOR update to come either tonight or tomorrow or after V-Day. Like, mind bendingly major. New project tangents, new stuff, new tools. Trust me, you'll like it. You'll really REALLY like it. And then you'll come and ask me to help you build it. Maybe not hte last one, but you'll be at the edge ofyour seat to see it done.

Right now, the car is under 26 or so inches of snow at the mechanic's. it an area record...ever. God really doesn't want me driving yet :(.

#24 ·
good luck with your project. I just took a look a this thread. looks like it is coming along nicely. I would like to put a carputer into my car as well but with college expenses I don't have the funds right now.

Yeah the snow is pretty crazy here in CT too...esp. driving in it

#25 · (Edited)
Snow is hell and nice to meet you guys!

Well, here it is, the next major update. I literally had no cash for a while. Thank god i had stuff to trade. Finally got paid for the laptop, so i got a nice flow right now. There's bad news....and then, there's good news...and then, there's GREAT news. Let's begin, shall we?

Bad news:

We left off in limbo, i wsa outta cash for the project and out of luck. That hiatus or richness cost me the LCD. That's right...i'm back on the market for one. :(. That is the single most expenisve component and will be the only thing that holds me up on my isntallation date. Thankfully though, that is the sole bad news.

The good news:

Right nwo my car is getting the new b15 alt in. Okay, not right now...its under 3ft of snow...but its getting it in and that's great. Getting its tuneup done too.

During that time of money, i made a few trades and sales to keep a flow of stuff coming. In that time, i have compleed a few phases to my project.

I am now happy to report that my stereo is finally complete. that's right, phase one is complete. Although i'm still deciidng on a few wiring issues, sound isolation and other things, all in all, its as good as done. The equalizer was won at a GREAT price and, if UPS can get their snow boots one, arriving here tomorrow. Its an Alpine 3401. The rear speakers are Infinity Kappa 63.5i's The final stereo product is the following.

Fronts: Infinity Reference 6412CFP
Rears: Infinity Kappa 63.5i
Speakers amp: Rockford Fosgate 4040DSM
Subwoofer solution: Basslink
Active corssover: Audiocontrol 3xs
Equalizier: Alpine 3401 Parametric Eq​

I'm very happy and VERY satisfied. That should produce some GREAT sound. I haven't figured out whether to equalizer the fronts and rears or just the fronts and adjust the rears seperately, but it should be intereting. Parametric EQ's need an RTA, so i now hav eto find out to tune it with.

For the power system, I picked up a CarPC Pro Vs 2.4 Shut Down Controller (SDC) and a Husky 400 watt invertor with modified switch for SDC (800 peak). I will be no where near 400W, much less 800W, but its nice to know that its there. Atleast there's less work for me to do with the modification.

Misc computer stuff also procured are an i-rocks USB 2.0 hub and 12-in-1 card reader. I also decided to integrete, for the SDC, the multibport hub i have for the IBM Transnote. That allwos me a serail connection, which gives me greater flexibility with specialty add ons and DB9 based serial devices.

The following is the proposed wiring diagram, in its entirety. Its color and size coded, so this is the legend. I did it in microsoft word cause i was lazy and it offered decnet element reorganization properties
Green is USB, dark green is USB 2.0
Royal blue is power from the batter, Dark blue is AC adapter and power form inverter, light blue and black is ground.
Thick lines are 4 guage, regular is 8 or 10
Yellow is VGA,
For the sound system, red is front out, fuschia is rear out, and rose is sub (according to MS word)
1, 2, and 3 are distribution blocks.​

Have fun perusing that. I'm wondering if i need another battery to power this.

Now for the great news that you'll really really really like.

Well, if you carefully read that wiring manual, you'll see a little box that says NVD. What, oh what does that mean? NVD stands for Night Vision Device. That's right. This car is going to be on-dash night vision/low light vision equipped, kind of like the new MB's out there (Caddy's was thermal based and those are in the thousands). Shipping out monday is the NiteMax Digital Night Vision Camera (Sony SuperHAD CCD). I'm getting two, one an upgraded model with digital 2x zoom and one the basic model. This isn't one of those cheap ebay cameras either. It ebays, usually, for between $150-$500 brand new, and it will be brand new. The 2.5" LCD will be hopefully mounted above the dashboard. facing me. It has the option of being put out into the LCD using RCA video, which is a great benifit. I may use this system before the carputer is ever installed. Despite everything, this system is just as useless in the fog as your eyes. Thermal is the one that sees through everything. However, at $3200, i say let the caddy's have their fun.

***for those of you who read this earlier on this morning, you will know what i'm talking about below. I removed it until it was closer to completion as it will take some cash to do some of the modifications.***
There is another awesome thing...but that takes programmming and the reassmebly of AI code and...well...i've been talking to programmers and i have AI code...so....we'll see... Let's just say its awesome for me as this was a MAJOR goal of the of the original project...however this may make it in the operating system 2.0 :)

That's the update. I'm still working on Pocket PC control via WiFi, though PCAnywhere seems to be the favorite of those who did it. I don't wnat to manipulate the screen though, but tis a good add on when i'm out of the car ad want to do something and the computer is not in earshot. Voice command is still at the beginning stages, however with the more secret side to the projectm it will be forced into completion. i'm still trying to figure out how to contorl the actual car using the computer, i'm still working on OBD diagonistics. A wireframe top view of a G20 with blinking warning indicators seems to be in order for that one, so if anyone has a jpg of the g20 from above, that would be great! No sunroof please. Atleast, right now, i'm no longer alone with this thing. I have my old friends helping me, including the guy who a year ago introduced me to the concept of a "carputer", Dan. Of course, there's the Russian senstation, Dasha, who's everyone's favorite TA (not my TA, we took Linear Algebra together, but let's just say the guys don't miss a class), and the Robot team leader, Matt, who is willing to help me with this AI side. Dan, however, has reason to help. Once my car is done and awesome, guess who's i s next ;). He has an Accord though- thank God this is his only major mod....

#26 · (Edited)
Added a poll. See, the stereo is pretty much completed, everythign else is a off shoot of the comptuer system now. with PC Anywhere, i can, for now, use my Pocket PC to control the desktop of my computer, relieving me of the absolute need for an LCD. I can get everything in an a few weeks, tops. However, i can also wait, do it well enough to integrate everything as i planned. Finally, i can go with the original porject design and finish off strong and impressive.

I'm not at a moment of weakness or anything, i'm just done with the second most major part of this system and pretty much done with the first. Everything else is, at this point, well, fluff. Really freaking awesome fluff, but nonetheless, fluff.

Right now as it goes, i can get the stereo installed when everything is delievered. Hopefully the beginning of march will give me more time and better weather

The complete software/hardware integration is still some time away and can technically be done later. Mid Spring is the estimated date if i do everything right, especially as my brain can take thinking more and more and harder and harder. It would be, well, impressive.

The orignal system plan will take, at the very LEAST, summer. All in all, it can go in eariler, true, but personally, i woudlnt' min d getting it in all at once as, well, i'll leave the project probably and move on...In the end, when software integration is complete, it will go in mid summer, but it really needs to be there for the psuedo AI system to be in place...

My personal opinion was the first vote, btw! Guess what i picked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.