Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've just been to the garage for a quote on fitting a set of H&R Springs (35mm Drop) to my 97 P11 Primera that I am buying this week.

The guy has just told me that the rear suspension is Gas Powered so if I only put springs on they will cause my shocks to break very quickly. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this?

he also said it would take about two and a half hours to fit four springs... is this a reasonable time to expect?

A swift reply would be greatly appreciated as I am looking at buying the springs today.

Many Thanks Guys

Kev

·
Registered
142 Posts
He's right about the dampers.. if you don't replace them right now with higher performace dampers like KYB AGX or KONIs, you'll need to do it very soon because the stock dampers can't handle the performance springs. They will wear out quickly, causing the ride to be very poor. In fact, since the stock dampers are designed to work with your stock springs, if you installed those H&Rs with your stock dampers, the ride would be poor right off the bat.

That seems like a reasonable amount of time for a spring installation. If you had a spring compressor you could do it yourself, its really not that difficult.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply.

My only returning two questions are how come all those here that have replaced only their springs not had this problem? at least 5 people that I know of......

and why would a company make springs to fit a primera if your not supposed to just replace the springs? I understand that you mix and match but the ones I have seen advertised were for a stock primera.

help!!!

thanks
Kev

·
Registered
142 Posts
It is definitely possible to install lowering springs with your stock dampers, but its just not a good idea. The stock dampers are designed to work with the springrates of your stock springs. So if you have higher springrates with the same dampers, they won't be able to dampen the oscillation of the spring sufficiently. You'll feel every little bump in the road, and your car may even bounce up and down a little past the bump because the damper can't control the spring.

If all you're concerned about is lowering the car, go ahead and install the springs with your stock dampers, but know that you will be significantly decreasing the life of those dampers, and that your suspension will not be performing at the optimum level, road-handling-wise and ride-comfort-wise.

The idea is, you're going to have to install better dampers sometime, either because you want to optimize your suspension or because your stock dampers completely crap out and your car bounces up and down like its got hydros whenever there's a bump in the road, so you might as well do it now while you're taking the suspension apart anyway.

I think the best way to go about this is to install a coil-over-shock setup. You get the optimum spring/dampening match, and you don't even need to use a spring compressor. This is what I plan to do someday(when I can afford it).

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,

Thanks for that,

I'm awaiting a reply from nissan on how much my shocks will stand up to before giving it up...... Looks like I'm going to have get some Koni adjustables fitted.. trouble is its far more money than I can afford at the moment as I need to save for my holiday, then I have an MOT, Tax and insurance all coming up after that.. I really dotn want to be riding around at that height for 6 months!!. Id still like to hear from those who have just fitted the springs, I'd be interested to know what the ride is like........

Grrrrr, Things are never easy!!

Cheers
Kev

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
kfairburn said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

My only returning two questions are how come all those here that have replaced only their springs not had this problem? at least 5 people that I know of......Kev
I'm willing to bet those guys have poor ride quality and won't fess up because they think they look cool.:-\

kfairburn said:
and why would a company make springs to fit a primera if your not supposed to just replace the springs? I understand that you mix and match but the ones I have seen advertised were for a stock primera.

help!!!

thanks
Kev
Well, some companies just sell springs and figure that you already have the right struts for them. :-\

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If its going to be hit and miss I dont want a shoddy job so it looks like I'm going to have to save for the Koni adjustables!!!

Kev

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you're gonna do that, just go all out and get the Teins/JICs/Ground Controls. Then you get a great ride and height adjustability.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
suspension

Yeh change the shocks,i made the mistake of not changing them and both the dampers started to leak a couple of weeks.Send me a personal e mail and i can get you some konis for £100.GT UK.

·
Boosted & Stanced
3,174 Posts
the reason some of us have only springs is cuz we have eibachs, eibachs only lower the car stance 1.4 inch, which isnt too bad for the stock shocks. anything lower than that, then the ride quality is gonna be bad. which explains the h&r, which is much lower i believe?

·
Registered
218 Posts
From what i understand, the problem is not only the lowering of the aftermarket springs (though, even 1.4" is enough to cause damage to the stock struts IMO), but the fact that the aftermarket springs are much stiffer. The stock shocks are designed to work at a certain height and a certain compression/rebound rate. When you change the springs you change those variables which causes the shocks to wear out more quickly.

In my opinion (and judging from posts of folks who know best) you shouldn't bother doing a half-assed job by just getting springs and using the stock shocks. Not only will you have a bad ride and handling, but you'll have to get new shocks very quickly anyway. Better to change springs and shocks all at once and save yourself a lot of time and headache.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Cue-Ball said:
From what i understand, the problem is not only the lowering of the aftermarket springs (though, even 1.4" is enough to cause damage to the stock struts IMO), but the fact that the aftermarket springs are much stiffer. The stock shocks are designed to work at a certain height and a certain compression/rebound rate. When you change the springs you change those variables which causes the shocks to wear out more quickly.

In my opinion (and judging from posts of folks who know best) you shouldn't bother doing a half-assed job by just getting springs and using the stock shocks. Not only will you have a bad ride and handling, but you'll have to get new shocks very quickly anyway. Better to change springs and shocks all at once and save yourself a lot of time and headache.
Ding ding ding.

Everybody else sit down. We have a winner folks.

Correct on all counts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
That means a lot coming from you, George. Thanks! :)

Uh oh....i can feel my ego inflating already. ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey,

Thanks for all your good replies. I'm going to do it properly and get some Koni Shocks and springs....... just for your record Akuma the H&R's lower 35mm.... isnt that the same ish as the Eibachs?

Either way, I'm going to do it properly, I'm hopefully sorting them all out this week so I will post pictures when they are installed.

Thanks again people!!

Kev

1 - 15 of 15 Posts