Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heres the story I have a kenwood aftermarket head unit, with 4 6.5 rockford fosgate speakers. AS many of you know infiniti only amplifies the two rear speakers and the front two run off the headunit. I want to amplifie all 4.

I want a rockford fosgate amp. The thing is I want to wire and hook it up myself (bestbuy is a god damn ripoff). How can I hook up the amp to the head unit and bypass the factory amp. To make it easy on myself I want to put it under the passengers seat.

Can someone please help me with wiring up the amp to the headunit so the speakers will be amplified and how to mount the amp. Sorry for it so long and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Can someone please help me with wiring up the amp to the headunit so the speakers will be amplified and how to mount the amp. Sorry for it so long and thanks in advance.
Okay, since you have an aftermarket headunit, I would suggest using the RCA connections in the back. If theres only one RCA output you will have to use the line-level outputs also, and get your self a line-output converter (at most stereo stores) I use two line output converters because something is up with my deck and I cant use the RCA connections. Its a bit of a bitch to wire up because you have to run some 16-18 gauge wire from your deck to the converter. Mounting under the seat, I dont know really, you may be able to do a search and find a guy who has done it that way. Sheesh, there is a lot to cover, do you have any idea what you're doing? Just asking because I knew a little something when I started mine, and things kind of fell in place.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for repling. I have two preouts one for the back speakers and one for the front speakers. I know a good amount I have put in new 6.5 front speakers. I have taken apart the dash and looked around. I know I have to put the wire through the firewall using the hole thats by the passenger side with most eletrical wires. I think my main concerns are mounting and bypassing the factory amp.

·
Registered
411 Posts
fatboyz921 said:
Thanks for repling. I have two preouts one for the back speakers and one for the front speakers. I know a good amount I have put in new 6.5 front speakers. I have taken apart the dash and looked around. I know I have to put the wire through the firewall using the hole thats by the passenger side with most eletrical wires. I think my main concerns are mounting and bypassing the factory amp.
the easiest way to bypass the amp is to disconect the wires at the back speakers, and run all new speaker wire from ur new amp.

if u mount the amp under the seat, u may have over heating problems. specially when it gets cold up there and u have to turn ur floor heater on.

it is actually easier to run the power cord on the drivers side since the battery is on that side. to the very right of ur batt is an opening in the fender. stick the cord in there. it then will be under the black plastic flap that is above ur tire. for the 1st time doing this it is easier to take the tire off. once the tire is off, just unsrew the black cover alittle. enough so u can bend it back and see the powercable u stuck through the whole. run the cable to the firewall. there is a whole where a bunch of wires go. put it through there, and wola, u got power. u can do it in reverse order which might be easier, putten the cord through the firewall the to batt. it is up to u.

to wire the amp, the power goes in the +. for the - find a bolt or screw, unscrew it and scratch off the paint, put the cable on it and screw it back. the remote goes to the hu. it will be a blue wire off ur hu. plug in ur rca from ur hu to the amp. wire all the speakers from amp to speaker.

u dont need to do any type of line level inputs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i agree... i wouldnt put ur amp under ur seat. Amps need good air circulation around them so that they can stay as cool as possible. If you mount it under your seat, you will have overheating problems. Especially if you are runnin all 4 speakers... or even 6 if u hook up the tweeters, and if u get subs. damn man. Thats a lot. You will overheat. I think if you just mount it somewhere in your trunk, doesnt have to be on the floor, if ur concerned about trunk space. You can mount it on the sides or ever on the top if you could figure a way out. aiite, just my 2cents... pz
chris

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was afraid I was going to have to mount it in the trunk. I didn't want to have rip up the carpet. Anyways how do I rewire the rear speakers? I got lost on that part. DO you think if I plugged into the rear preouts it would bypass the factory amp. Do you guys know a way I can run the cables for the amp into the trunk without tearing up carpet. thanks but still need a little more info.

·
Registered
757 Posts
You don't have to rip any carpet to get the cables to the trunk. #1 Just remove the plasticy door jam thing front and back ( flathead screwdriver) #remove the panel in the middle (phillps head) and pick up the rear seat cushion (elbow grease)
It should allow you to run your power wire on the driverside. I recommend that you run the RCA's on the passenger side. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
411 Posts
fatboyz921 said:
I was afraid I was going to have to mount it in the trunk. I didn't want to have rip up the carpet. Anyways how do I rewire the rear speakers? I got lost on that part. DO you think if I plugged into the rear preouts it would bypass the factory amp. Do you guys know a way I can run the cables for the amp into the trunk without tearing up carpet. thanks but still need a little more info.
the thing that turns ur rear amp on is the antenna wire. but if u disconnect this, u dont have a power ant anymore. to rewire the back speakers, just unplug them and run seprate wires from the hu to them. dont use the factory wiring. it is easy to get the wires under the carpet. open ur door and the plasic panel that is right there just snapps off. u can then lift up the carpet and run the wires under it. if u run the rca and the remote on one side, and the power on the other, u are less likely to get altonator feedback.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright I was just messy around with the car and looked at the door jams. Thats excellent advice to run it under the carpet that way. That makes running the wires completed now I just need to know how to rewire the speakers to the headunit. I was looking at the rear speakers and there is about 6 in. of wire then it dissapears into the rear deck(metal Part). Also my antena is broken (stuck in the down position). So thats good to cut the power to the amp.

Can someone just please tell me how to rewire the rear speakers to the headunit. Thank you all so much for the advice. You guys have been a big help.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Please help does anybody know how to rewire the back speakers to the headunit and how to mount the amp. I would really like to get this project over with. Thanks alo guys

·
Registered
411 Posts
fatboyz921 said:
Please help does anybody know how to rewire the back speakers to the headunit and how to mount the amp. I would really like to get this project over with. Thanks alo guys
i guess i didnt go into detail enough, or maybe someone can explain it better then me. but here it goes.

step 1: take out the hu(head unit)

step 2: find the wires that are labeled left rear -(green w/ strip), left rear postive(solid green), right rear -(purple w/ strip), right rear +(solid purple). those should be the colors right off ur hu.

step 3: find the whole group of wires plug into the back of ur hu. follow them till the meet the harness. this is where they will be crimpted together or twisted together. disconnect all 4 of them completly from the harness.

step 4: reconnect the ones from the hu to NEW SPEAKER WIRE that u go buy at the store. tape up the ones at the harness separetly or else cut all the wire showing so there is just installation(no bare wire) so they dont tounch each other, and are NOT conected to anything.

step 5: run the speaker wire that u connected in step 4 under the carpet on the side u ran the remote and the rca to the rear.

step 6: undo any and all wires on the back speakers. tape them up in the same manner as u did in step 4 or else cut all the wire showing so there is just installation(no bare wire).

step 7: now conect the speaker wire that u ran from the hu in step 5 to the rear speakers.

step 8: there now the speakers are not being amped by the factory amp, only by the amp in the cd player. go have a beer(if of drinking age).

TO MOUNT AMP;

step 1: find where u want it.

step 2: if it is against a wall, make sure nothen is behind it and use sheet metal screws. u only need 2 screws. can use 4 if u want.

step 3: if u want to do it on the floor, u can do it where that flimsy board that goes over the spare. use screw and mount it on that.

step 4: if u dont like that, BE CREATIVE!!

what do u mean by: "Also my antena is broken (stuck in the down position). So thats good to cut the power to the amp. "
u dont plan on using that as the power source of ur amp b/c that wont work. that is to small a gauge and ur amp will thurst for juice. also u will end up blowing a fuse and eventually burn up the wire.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
my litl g20 you are the shit. Hopefully I'll get the amp installed this weekend or week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts