Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1. Leaks
Out of nowhere my car started to make grinding noises whenever I turned the steering wheel and it would kind of shake and resist as I was turning it. Around my car were a trail of spots where some type of fluid had leaked. When I popped the hood I saw that the radiator coolant reservoir was empty and another component which holds liquid was wet. My guess is that this other component is the power steering because of how strange the steering wheel was acting. I might be wrong though, but I have pictures of this component.

2. Parasitic Draw on battery

Something is drawing energy from my battery while my car is not in use. At times when I go to start my battery it won't start, this has happened so much that I've lost count. I got the battery tested at Auto Zone and the battery checked out fine and my alternator is also fine. The last time I finally noticed what was probably the cause of the draw. When I shut my door, I noticed the 'Security' light kept flashing. The security light usually goes off when all the doors are closed. I made sure that all my doors were closed and locked but this light still kept flashing. So my guess is that the alarm system or something related is drawing too much power from my battery causing it to lose charge.

3. Radio doesn't turn on

The radio just doesnt turn on at all. The lights work when the instrument panel lights are on but it just doesn't power on for some reason. I took it out and looked at the back and I made sure everything was in securely but nothing.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
That component is the charcoal canister, but the power steering high pressure line (the brass fitting diagonally up and to the left) looks like it is leaking, so your fluid may be low. There may also be something wrong with the pump, but I'd deal with the line first.

The security light problem is due to a broken door, hood, or trunk room lamp switch. That may or may not be the source of your parasitic power draw too.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple questions:

What caused these leaks (power steering and coolant)? They happened at the same time completley out of nowhere.

Will it be completely unsafe to drive the car?

Also:

At one point I discovered that the room lamp fuse was no good so I replaced it. After I replaced this fuse is when my car started dieing. So I'm guessing the draw has something to do with a part of the room lamp system.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
I doubt you have a coolant leak. That's just the overflow bottle, for if the coolant expands due to heat and needs some place to escape. Make sure your radiator is full, though -- that's the cap that's actually on top of the radiator, not the coolant overflow bottle. The power sterring high pressure hose leak is a common failure point on G20s, so I'm not surprised by it.

If one of your door pin switches is messed up, that would cause the power drain with the room lamp fuse in, since the room lamp circuit is triggered by the door pin switches. I've never done anything with door pin switches on G20s, but on my old Legacy, when I disconnected a bad one, it registered as that door being closed. So, if the G20 works the same way, you can unplug one at a time, and when the security light stops flashing with the doors closed, you've found the one you need to replace.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Fill the overflow bottom with coolant to the max level. Fill your power steering fluid and check for leaks. If you've been driving the car with the noise for a while then your power steering rack is probably dead, and it's about $750 - 1000 to replace.

If your battery is drained, measure the current through each circuit of your fuse box with the car off and the doors closed. You can get a cheap multimeter at radio shack to do this if you don't already have one, just make sure it can take at least 12V / ~30A.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Fill the overflow bottom with coolant to the max level. Fill your power steering fluid and check for leaks. If you've been driving the car with the noise for a while then your power steering rack is probably dead, and it's about $750 - 1000 to replace.
First of all, I wouldn't fill the overflow bottle past "MIN" -- I'd just make sure the radiator is full (but let the car cool down before taking off the radiator cap). Secondly, wouldn't the pump be more likely to go than the rack if there's no power steering fluid?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That component is the charcoal canister, but the power steering high pressure line (the brass fitting diagonally up and to the left) looks like it is leaking, so your fluid may be low. There may also be something wrong with the pump, but I'd deal with the line first.

The security light problem is due to a broken door, hood, or trunk room lamp switch. That may or may not be the source of your parasitic power draw too.
The hose above the charcoal canister appears to be ripped (see picture). And I didn't know the fluid was being dropped from the hose so I assumed that the canister was the power steering fluid :shhh:. My mistake haha.

I don't know if you can tell judging by the picture if the hose is ripped but it is.

This power steering canister also appears to be leaking.

Inside power steering canister

These leaks are left than half of the leaks that were left on my driveway, I think there is another leak besides the power steering fluid because there's no way all of this liquid fit inside that little canister.

As for problem #2 I just remembered that pulled the trunk release by accident but never actually opened the trunk so that could of been the reason why the security lamp kept flashing eventually discharging my battery (even though the trunk was never actually opened just unlatched). If that's not the reason then I have no idea where the parasitic draw is coming from.

and for problem #3 i'm stumped.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Keep in mind that there is plenty of fluid that goes through the rack, too -- the canister isn't the only place there is some. I'm guessing the radio isn't working because its fuse is blown.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keep in mind that there is plenty of fluid that goes through the rack, too -- the canister isn't the only place there is some. I'm guessing the radio isn't working because its fuse is blown.
i checked all the fuses and they are fine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts