Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals i cant figure out what is wrong with my G. Every time i mash the gas pedal the car just revs up real high, but im still cruising at the same speed before I mashed the gas pedal. I get high revs and no acceleration, but only when i step on it, if i baby the car and dont speed shes fine. It would happen after i down/up shift but i think thats b/c I like to floor it alot through shifts :teeth:, so i dont think its the clutch. Anyone input would be great, i cant figure out what it could be. I thought maybe it was something to do with the fuel but im starting to think thats not the issue.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
Clutch brother....!

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
it could also be your flux capacitor...? maybe.

·
Registered
966 Posts
You might just need some blinker fluid. Try that first before you go replacing a clutch or capacitor.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Needs a turbo. ;) No, make sure the clutch is fully engaging. If the clutch cable is too tight it will always be partially disengaged and cause what you're talking about. If is is fully engaged and still slips, then it's time to put a clutch in it.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See this was my first guess and same with my dads as well, but what doesnt make sence to me is that it wont slip in 1st (starting from a stop) or when i shift normally. And it only sounds when its slipping when I hit the gas hard, but im already in gear and havnt touched the clutch.

What makes sence to me is when im driving like im racing, making fast shifts at high rpms then it sounds like its clutch slip. But for it to sound like clutch slip when im just driving along and havnt touched the clutch for miles, that makes no sence to me. Is that normal with a worn clutch? and the clutch only has about 40,000 on it too.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
clutches can last 500 miles to 500k miles. depends on traffic and how you drive.

Try this. Put the car in 3rd gear when you are stopped. Try to accelerate. if the engine doesn't stall out (and it just rev's) you need a clutch. ;)

·
Registered
537 Posts
my jetta clutch never slipped in first (that i could feel) but slipped in all other gears (for what its worth)

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
my jetta clutch never slipped in first (that i could feel) but slipped in all other gears (for what its worth)
yes, generally you will feel it slip in the higher gears......

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I like to floor it alot through shifts :teeth:
Upon reading your post again, I'd put money on you needing a new clutch... it's possible that the cable just needs to be adjusted, but from your driving style it is pretty likely you need a clutch. In any case, weather you need a new clutch or not, i would stop doing that...

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
In any case, weather you need a new clutch or not, i would stop doing that...
:lol: --- that was good. ;)

I didn't know you were in Destin. We were just there in October. Lovely place!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From what I described how long do you think the clutch will last? I guess im trying not to face the fact that I might have to replace the clutch, flywheel and PP. Do you think its cheaper to buy a stock brand new clutch, flywheel, and PP than a used stage 1 clutch?

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
if its slippin its giving you warning to get it to a shop and get a clutch. It might last 6+ weeks ,it might go as soon as you drive it again.

usually you can resurface the flywheel and even lighten it for pretty cheap. if you can do the work yourself the clutch wont cost a whole lot. Labor at a shop is what can make the cost jump up to over $1000. Keep in mind ,most shops wont install a clutch unless they purchase it so they can warranty it. It can be a pain, trust me.

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
From what I described how long do you think the clutch will last? I guess im trying not to face the fact that I might have to replace the clutch, flywheel and PP. Do you think its cheaper to buy a stock brand new clutch, flywheel, and PP than a used stage 1 clutch?
talk to Justin at everything G20. Ask for the 2000 SE disc and PP. it's actually an upgrade from our p10 clutch and fits fine. I did that on my 1995 and it's great. ....and i'm pushing about 40-45 crank hp MORE than a stock g20 and it holds strong. ;)

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
b15 clutch can't hold 188ft lbs of torque. I know this for a fact :(

·
Old Man Brian
7,536 Posts
b15 clutch can't hold 188ft lbs of torque. I know this for a fact :(
it holds my 151 whp and 140 torque just fine. ;)
Ya, if you are boosting, upgrade your clutch..!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
if its slippin its giving you warning to get it to a shop and get a clutch. It might last 6+ weeks ,it might go as soon as you drive it again.

usually you can resurface the flywheel and even lighten it for pretty cheap. if you can do the work yourself the clutch wont cost a whole lot. Labor at a shop is what can make the cost jump up to over $1000. Keep in mind ,most shops wont install a clutch unless they purchase it so they can warranty it. It can be a pain, trust me.
The flywheel has already been resurfaced, so im guessing im going to have to replace it. I just dont want to spend alot on a new clutch b/c I plan on buying a new car after the winter is over so i dont want to put money alot of money into my G right now. I dont want to buy new, no point, i can do the work my self. Im thinking maybe just get a used clutch and put that in to get me through the winter.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts