Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard of fifth gear popout and ive read the threads on them... this seems like a common problem with the g20... the problem im having is not with fifth gear... its with 3rd and reverse. while driving down the road it will just pop out of gear. or while backing up itll pop out of reverse. it only does it when the car is under load though. in the lower rpm range when the transmission has more load on it. so immediately after shifting from 2nd to 3rd the rpms drop to about 2000-2500 depending on when i shift (normal driving, only revving to about 3000) and as soon as i let the clutch out it will pop back into neutral. just wondering how i fix this? what do i need to do and about how much will it cost? any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

Chris

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
well see,s like you will spend a lill more work and money than repareing a 5th gear pop out. but really your trns needs to come aprt to see the problem. I have a pretty good idea of what is wrong but i do not want to be quoted i would not feel right tellign you to rplce parts with out seeign it

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
your best bet would be to find a working used trans and swap it out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i really cant afford a new tranny right now so if repairing it would be cheaper please tell me how... p10det, any advice you could give would be great... is there some way i could adjust the shift linkages to fix the problem? it seems as if it just isnt pushing the gear far enough and that is what is causing it to pop out. if it doesnt work i wont quote you ill just come back for more advice. thanks for the promt replies fellas.

Chris

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
if you search around you can probably find a cheap non-lsd 5 speed. everyone wants an lsd so those usually go for more, while the non-lsd's collect dust. it will probably be your cheapest route.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks man... i was hoping i wouldnt have to replace it but looks like im gonna need to. i appreciate the advice

Chris

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
no problem man. one other piece of advice is to try to find a trans from a 94-96 as nissan fixed most of the popout problems by then. the early trans is much more prone to popout

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Go to junkyard it's only like 60 bucks for one

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
inspect your shift stableiser bushing and such first. But i agree with him it will be more costly and more work to repair your problem. but if you bought a 5th gear pop out trns same as yours for cheep it should hve everything you need to fix your problem. but it needs to be the same geared tranny. im thinking you would replace with aother trans main shaft nd reverse gear and just use your input shaft and just use the best shift forks.
i only fix my tranny for no cost cuase i swap out peoples trannys and steel the guts from their junkers

but i would sudjest you get another used tranny. Then for learning expeirience take your time and tke apart your current tranny for a good learning on how it operates. it pays if you can get a sevice manul and take the parts off and line them up so you know what goes where and does what.if you sisaemble and re asemble it a few times you will understand better on transmission repair. you will get quite fast at it

·
Registered
450 Posts
Check the shifter/linkage bushings before replacing the transmission. If you don't want to spend any money, you could always just skip 3rd gear. Reverse might be tricky though...

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
i sudjested checking that cuase it might have bean partly the cuase of the trans failure. bad mounts can lso play a roll in helping the cuase were like this. but also bad driveing can do it to

·
Registered
180 Posts
p10det said:
i sudjested checking that cuase it might have bean partly the cuase of the trans failure. bad mounts can lso play a roll in helping the cuase were like this. but also bad driveing can do it to

i agree with this statment allot when engine moves it can play a big role happened a few times with me with my first sr20 powered car, 4 sr20 powered cars ago. goood luck

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
many thanks to all those who replied... i think i will take p10det's advice and replace the tranny... just one last question.... will a lsd tranny from a b13 fit in here? my car is a 92 and if i converted to lsd what are the pros and cons? thanks guys

Chris

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kaiseiken said:
Check the shifter/linkage bushings before replacing the transmission. If you don't want to spend any money, you could always just skip 3rd gear. Reverse might be tricky though...

lol... skip third gear? sometimes i skip fourth but on my stock g20 i would have to rev the hell out of 2nd to be able to do that because normal city driving i rev to about 3000-3200 before shifting and skipping third would put the rpms down to about... mmmm..... 1200-1500. talk about no get-up!!! especially the way people drive in this city.. id get rearended before i made it to normal rpms skippin third!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts