Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up people
I was plannin on purchasing a sr20ve but since my motor has low miles im puttin that on hold for a couple more yrs. But anyways does anyone know about porting and polishing the sr20de. Is it good to do? How much hp am i lookin at gainin? and how much would this run me? thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Spend the money you were going to spend on the port and polish and get a set of JWT cams, depending on how much you were looking to spend, also look into a CAI and header. I'd probalby go CAI and header first, if you don't already have them.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I would consider a port and polish a "while you're in there" sort of thing. I wouldn't pull my engine apart just to do that.

Porting is as much art as science. It's far easier to screw up a head than improve it. Figure about $750-1,000 for a decent P&P. It's really something that you won't notice until you have an engine that is flowing a lot of air (big hp). It would be down my list of mods.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So u think its worth it to to port and polish say if i got the jdm sr20de or even stock. I am plannin on other mods to increase hp so what do u think with stock or that motor. thanks

·
Registered
44 Posts
HP vs Dollar. It's not worth it. If your gong to spend that much on a port & polish and all the other bolt on's, don't do it. For around $600 you can have a t-25 setup off of a Blue Bird. Add another $500 for JWT Computer, $300 for injectors & FP, Throw in a custom exhaust and you are in business. Better money spent.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
nsng20 said:
So u think its worth it to to port and polish say if i got the jdm sr20de or even stock. I am plannin on other mods to increase hp so what do u think with stock or that motor. thanks
I guess my answer wasn't as clear as I thought.

Don't even consider a P&P unless you have done all the other bolt-ons or have to get a valve job anyway.

·
Registered
807 Posts
2wdBlazer said:
HP vs Dollar. It's not worth it. If your gong to spend that much on a port & polish and all the other bolt on's, don't do it. For around $600 you can have a t-25 setup off of a Blue Bird. Add another $500 for JWT Computer, $300 for injectors & FP, Throw in a custom exhaust and you are in business. Better money spent.
Shit yeah, after i get my new suspension and S3 cams i'm going to start saving for a custom kit, probably start with a T28 with some sort of front mount. Who makes a 3" exhaust for our cars?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Blue93G20 said:

Shit yeah, after i get my new suspension and S3 cams i'm going to start saving for a custom kit, probably start with a T28 with some sort of front mount. Who makes a 3" exhaust for our cars?
No one makes a 3" exhaust. Hell, it's hard enough finding an regular N/A exhaust for our cars as is, let alone a big turbo one. I know a shop up in Phoenix that makes nice custom exhausts, let me know when you're serious about it and i'll hook you up with their info and stuff. I've seen some they've made for SE-R's and they are nice quality.

·
Registered
807 Posts
SWEET

Sounds good, i'm debating about buying a det or doing custom, if i start with a det i might put in my higher compression pistons so that it will spool faster but who knows. I'm planning within the next six to 8 months....

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: SWEET

Blue93G20 said:
Sounds good, i'm debating about buying a det or doing custom, if i start with a det i might put in my higher compression pistons so that it will spool faster but who knows. I'm planning within the next six to 8 months....

Umm... higher compression and boost is a bad combination, unless you want to run 100 octane gas from that station on Speedway all the time :-\ Keep the stock pistons if you want to stay at moderate boost levels. If you're looking for higher boost someone like Louis up in Phoenix could hook you up with a set of forged ones (if you want to get that serious). Or you could look into a DET swap if you want 8.5 or 8.3:1 (more work involved) pistons and some other nice turbo stuff.

If you really want it to spool faster either go with a slightly smaller turbo or upgrade to a ball bearing center section (pretty expensive turbo upg.)

what sort of power goals are you looking at?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Well i think with the right spark plugs, and big enough injectors i should be able to use my 10.0:1 compression pistons. I'm thinking of just peiceing together a det manifold and all necessary items and putting it on my Primera motor. My goal is to hit a 13.50. As for horsepower ratings i have no clue what its gonna take to get me there.

Items i want to have from the time i drop it in are:
DET Manifold
t-25 or t-28
Front mount
intake
370cc or higher injectors (hopefully 440's)
full exhaust 3inch downpipe (hopefully) and minimum 2.5inch catback with testpipe
JWT S3 cams
JWT programmed ECU

The reason why i want to have all this is so i only have to send my ecu away once instead of doing it everytime i get a good mod. I want to get a spare stock ECU to run my car on before the swap that way my old one can be reprogrammed. I figure this will be a good start.

After i get my suspension, i'm gonna buy cams and then start buying my turbo pieces.
:nervous:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Blue93G20 said:
Well i think with the right spark plugs, and big enough injectors i should be able to use my 10.0:1 compression pistons.
I wouldn't. I think you would be pretty well into a danger zone, and I don't think there is a JWT ECU program for a 10:1 streetable turbo engine (or even race for that matter).

Injectors have nothing to do with it other than having enough capacity to provide the correct fuel/air ratio. Spark plugs have little to do with it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
With that Compression Ratio, you could do it but you would pretty much have to stay at stock boost. Or BOOM. :dead:

·
Registered
807 Posts
The only reason why i said bigger injectors and cooler plugs was to help to keep from having detonation...Hmmm well then i guess i might look into a det becuase i think it maybe more cost effective

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
2wdBlazer said:
With that Compression Ratio, you could do it but you would pretty much have to stay at stock boost. Or BOOM. :dead:

I doubt you could even run stock boost with 10:1.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Re: Re: SWEET

JustinP10 said:
If you really want it to spool faster either go with a slightly smaller turbo or upgrade to a ball bearing center section (pretty expensive turbo upg.)
Or get cozy on the dyno with a set of S3 cams and JWT adjustable cam sprockets. Once click of intake retard and one click of exhaust advance should wake up a T25 or a T28 pretty quickly. Or was it the other way around..? Everyone knows that I have expensive taste and the budget of a churchmouse, but I think a Bluebird DET longblock with a GTi-R exhaust manifold and T28 upgrade, a boost controller and some S3s would make me a very happy person for quite a while.

Blue93G20 said:
The reason why i want to have all this is so i only have to send my ecu away once instead of doing it everytime i get a good mod.
You only need to send it off once. Get the 370 or 440 injectors (whatever you decided on), get a bigger MAF like a 300ZX or Q45 model, and get the S3 cams at one time. You probably don't even need the cams immediately. Just explain to JWT that you need to be turbo-ready, and install the ECU when you do the injectors, MAF, and cams, and you'll be fine. Then put together the rest of the parts as your budget allows.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Blue93G20 said:
The only reason why i said bigger injectors and cooler plugs was to help to keep from having detonation...Hmmm well then i guess i might look into a det becuase i think it maybe more cost effective
Bigger injectors don't help ward away detonation. They just allow you to run more boost. You'd have to max out the 370cc injectors to make it worth it to go to a bigger injector. I think the max range for 370cc injectors is just a little over where the stock MAF maxes out, which would make the 370s max around 10psi? I tried searching in the archives for the information on where 370's max out, but i didn't see any responses, so i stopped looking. If you want to know the exact numbers I know who to talk to, to find out if necessary. (or someone else one the board would know i'm sure).

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts