Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I hear a slight sound as I drive and suspect it's because my axle nut is loose because last time that I tightened it I didn't use a torque wrench. Is there any way of tightening it without the use of someone in the car pressing the brakes? It's a 5 speed P11.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For some reason I thought you would have to remove the entire wheel in order to do so? Well, I would still need to remove the wheel so I could remove the center cap and cotter pin, right?

Thanks for the help!!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
yes remove center cap engage e brake then tighten:naughty:
Don't believe that would work- it's not an "ebrake" it's a parking brake, and it would be working on the wrong axle. Bet the wheel would just turn even if it were on the ground. Either need to find someone to push on the brake pedal or use a decent air wrench. Also, the wheel nut is locked down, so it isn't gonna loosen up- Apparently you think you didn't tighten it enough?

RE torque wrench, unless you have an extension, don't think you're gonna come up with one that will go to 200 ft lbs.

Bet the noise is something else.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
For some reason I thought you would have to remove the entire wheel in order to do so? Well, I would still need to remove the wheel so I could remove the center cap and cotter pin, right?

Thanks for the help!!!
No need to take off the wheel. Just pop off the hub cover, pull the cotter pin and the crown lock. You can also maybe check to see if something is loose by jacking up that corner and seeing if there is play in the wheel by holding it 6 and 12 o'clock, 3 and 9 o'clock, wiggling it back and forth, up and down.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a similar noise before and I tightened the axle nut and it went away, so I figure that I should try this first. When I first finished my swap I just tightened the axle nut by hand and left the cotter pin there. Even with the cotter pin there it still loosed up after a few weeks of driving to cause a pretty bad grinding sound and I want to see if the axle nut is loose before that sound comes back.

Maybe I'll try tightening it first as p11silverdub said and if that doesn't work I'll leave the car on the ground and have someone press the brakes. I just don't feel comfortable with someone being in the car and have the car on jack stands.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No need to take off the wheel. Just pop off the hub cover, pull the cotter pin and the crown lock. You can also maybe check to see if something is loose by jacking up that corner and seeing if there is play in the wheel by holding it 6 and 12 o'clock, 3 and 9 o'clock, wiggling it back and forth, up and down.
The weird thing is that this noise started the same day that I felt something hit the bottom of my car. I turned back and saw a long bolt in the street..I didn't know if I ran over it causing it to jump up and hit the bottom of the car or if it fell off. I did this engine swap and didn't recognize that bolt and it was pretty clean..no grease on it at all, so I don't know. It was pretty hot when I picked it up though and it was a cool day, so I don't know if the sun warmed it up since the sun was out. While I have the car up I'm going to check for any missing bolts just in case.

Oh and when I removed the axle nut the first time for the swap it didn't have a crown lock. I put everything in a plastic bag when doing the swap and I don't think I saw one in there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Don't believe that would work- it's not an "ebrake" it's a parking brake, and it would be working on the wrong axle. Bet the wheel would just turn even if it were on the ground. Either need to find someone to push on the brake pedal or use a decent air wrench. Also, the wheel nut is locked down, so it isn't gonna loosen up- Apparently you think you didn't tighten it enough?

RE torque wrench, unless you have an extension, don't think you're gonna come up with one that will go to 200 ft lbs.

Bet the noise is something else.
car is deff heavy enough to stay put.so u think its gonna drag the car?:surprised and if you add an extension to a torque wrench u lose torque

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would definitely use one to loosen it, but I heard it's not a good idea to use an impact to tighten it because you might mess up the wheel bearings or something or other. I don't have one anyways at the moment so I'm just planning on using my breaker bar and 36mm socket.

Thanks though!!

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
car is deff heavy enough to stay put.so u think its gonna drag the car?:surprised and if you add an extension to a torque wrench u lose torque
Been there, done that. The car will stay put and the wheel will turn, even if it's on the ground, if the nut is on there tite enough and you've got enough torque on the wrench.

If you have an extension that is the same length as the arm on the torque wrench (to double the lever), you essentially double the readings on the torque wrench. That is, nut --> extension arm--> torque wrench. 100 ft lbs on the dial now equals 200 ft lbs. Another way to explain: If you've got a 15" torque wrench (from socket-center to pivot on the handle), and you extend that another 15" so that the pivot point on the handle is now 30" from the nut, you've doubled the torque reading on the dial.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I would definitely use one to loosen it, but I heard it's not a good idea to use an impact to tighten it because you might mess up the wheel bearings or something or other. I don't have one anyways at the moment so I'm just planning on using my breaker bar and 36mm socket.

Thanks though!!
If you've got a typical air wrench/compressor setup, you're not going to get it to hammer much more than 200 ft. lbs anyway, so you don't have to worry too much about overtightening. I think it is NUTZ to be driving around WITHOUT the axle nut nice-n-tite, especially without it being locked on. Also note that many a person has tackled that big nut with a 1/2" drive socket and breaker bar and broken them doing it. Really should be a 3/4" drive setup, best being a sliding T and a pipe extension.

·
Registered
20,984 Posts
The weird thing is that this noise started the same day that I felt something hit the bottom of my car. I turned back and saw a long bolt in the street..I didn't know if I ran over it causing it to jump up and hit the bottom of the car or if it fell off. I did this engine swap and didn't recognize that bolt and it was pretty clean..no grease on it at all, so I don't know. It was pretty hot when I picked it up though and it was a cool day, so I don't know if the sun warmed it up since the sun was out. While I have the car up I'm going to check for any missing bolts just in case.

Oh and when I removed the axle nut the first time for the swap it didn't have a crown lock. I put everything in a plastic bag when doing the swap and I don't think I saw one in there.
Did you keep the bolt? If so, post a pic.
I don't think P11s have the castle lock like p10s do, mine doesn't.

I'd get the axle nut tightened ASAP, especially if you beat on your car; you wouldn't want the whole wheel assembly to come off when cornering at high speed.

One way to tighten the nut alone is to have the car on the ground and go through the center cap. You can use the spare tire, if the opening in the wheel is too small for your socket.

I wouldn't hammer it on with impact, because you'll only be able to hammer it off with impact when you need to replace it again.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I didn't read the part about using the spare to fit the socket, so I removed both wheels and found someone around my house who would press on the brakes for me. I checked for missing bolts from my front suspension, but those all seemed to be there.

I did keep the bolt that I saw and it has a weird symbol stamped on the end and there is a hook there that I'm assuming goes into something to keep the bolt from spinning when you are tightening the nut on..Oh and I think it might be longer than 6". Does this bolt sound familiar to anyone? I'll post a picture up tomorrow because it's too late to go get it from the car.

I might make another thread when I take a picture of it. Car runs fine and hasn't had any problems other than the axle nut being loose...and yeah..dumb me!! I only hand tightened the axle nut after my swap. I thought since the cotter pin was there it wouldn't make a difference, but than I started to notice that I was wrong..I don't own a 36mm socket, so when I took it back from where I rented it from I didn't have one anymore and I wanted to wait until I went to go rent it again.

Thanks for the comments and help!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I looked through my FSM and I see one bolt on the bottom of the alternator which could be the one I found!...How long do you think you were driving without a bolt? This happened to me on Fri., but I don't know when I'm going to get a chance to go to the hardware/auto parts store. I'll check tomorrow if that is the bolt. I did an A/C delete 2 days before this happened, but I didn't touch that bolt..only the adjustment bolt and the other bolt you need to loosen.

Here's a picture from my FSM..is the bolt you were missing the one I circled in red? I think the one I found has a washer on it, but the picture doesn't show a washer.

Thanks for the help!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts