Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I looked through my FSM and I see one bolt on the bottom of the alternator which could be the one I found!...How long do you think you were driving without a bolt? This happened to me on Fri., but I don't know when I'm going to get a chance to go to the hardware/auto parts store. I'll check tomorrow if that is the bolt. I did an A/C delete 2 days before this happened, but I didn't touch that bolt..only the adjustment bolt and the other bolt you need to loosen.

Here's a picture from my FSM..is the bolt you were missing the one I circled in red? I think the one I found has a washer on it, but the picture doesn't show a washer.

Thanks for the help!!

P10SR20DET..funny thing..I moved to Texas from Fontana, CA!!..would've been cool to have a fellow G20.net member in the same city.

·
Registered
20,984 Posts
I looked through my FSM and I see one bolt on the bottom of the alternator which could be the one I found!...How long do you think you were driving without a bolt? This happened to me on Fri., but I don't know when I'm going to get a chance to go to the hardware/auto parts store. I'll check tomorrow if that is the bolt. I did an A/C delete 2 days before this happened, but I didn't touch that bolt..only the adjustment bolt and the other bolt you need to loosen.

Here's a picture from my FSM..is the bolt you were missing the one I circled in red? I think the one I found has a washer on it, but the picture doesn't show a washer.

Thanks for the help!!
Yeah that is it. I'm not sure how it came out. When we were building / installing the ASP header I noticed the alternator wasn't sitting perfectly square to the engine. Several months prior my alternator belt was squeaking so I tightened it a little bit and it went away, I don't know if it fell out before or after that as i did everything from up top at that time, and I didn't notice it was gone till looking at it from below and took this pic.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good thing I kept the bolt!! Oh and when I used the smaller belt for the A/C delete it was fine, but a few days after I noticed it started to squeel..haven't had time to adjust it yet though..I've been driving my car petty hard, so it's a good thing the alternator hasn't fallen off yet. Tomorrow it's off to Autozone or Home Depot for a replacement nut!!!

Thanks for the help!! I probably would have just disregarded that bolt!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hehe, I was spot on with my guess on alternator bolt!

But thinking that tightening the axle nut by hand would be enough was a pretty dumb and irresponsible decision, (sorry for being a dick)

The strength of a bolt/nut joint is reduced to zero when that nut is not tightened as it needs the preload to be strong. It is like a tent not set up nice and square, if it starts raining it will soon collapse.
If it were your lugnuts you had probably lost a wheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The weird thing is that this noise started the same day that I felt something hit the bottom of my car. I turned back and saw a long bolt in the street..I didn't know if I ran over it causing it to jump up and hit the bottom of the car or if it fell off. I did this engine swap and didn't recognize that bolt and it was pretty clean..no grease on it at all, so I don't know. It was pretty hot when I picked it up though and it was a cool day, so I don't know if the sun warmed it up since the sun was out. While I have the car up I'm going to check for any missing bolts just in case.

Oh and when I removed the axle nut the first time for the swap it didn't have a crown lock. I put everything in a plastic bag when doing the swap and I don't think I saw one in there.
Are you sure that the bolt you seen flying down the highway that was so hot wasn't your brake caliper bolt??

21 - 27 of 27 Posts