Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and found nothing saying anything useful so sorry if you find something. But can a det ecu be used on a p10 without wiring issues and running issues on a det? Cause i would much rather pick up a det ecu and use it in conjunction with a AFC then have to reprogram through JWT. Any comments?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Det ECU was made for Det engine. Sr20de wiring harness plugs into any ECU and engine that is SR20DE.

My friend blew his DET ECU and plugged in his DE ECU and its runnin a lil' rich but needless to say its still runnin'!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
Sr20de wiring harness plugs into any ECU and engine that is SR20DE.
Wrong answer. Only certain years are plug and play. Some years have to be modified to work with other years. Several '98-'99 Sentra 2.0 owners buy an earlier model JWT ECU and modify it so they can use it in their cars since JWT has not made one for their cars yet. They go as far as swapping out O2 sensors as well.

More info:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20317

Another example, you can not use a '91-'93 G20 ECU in a '94-'96 G20. OBD-I -vs- OBD-II, and O2 sensors, etc. are different.

But Blue93G20, as for as the DET ECU, I have no answer for you there. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I've read a few first and second hand accounts of people using the DET ECU. Here is what I have observed....

Some people seem to run fine with it. Some have a bunch of problems. I'm not sure if the people reporting no problems have a high threshold for driveability issues, or if those who have problems have a bad ECU. There has been no resolution of this. You will find people who say it's no problem and others who say it is. You roll the dice.

As for being plug and play, just because the connector fits is silly. There are a lot of sensors on the cars and some may be different. The major one that may be difference (and nobody has yet to confirm either way) is the MAF.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm, thats what i've read a lot of, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't perhaps luck of the draw. I need to reserch more. thanks for the info Geo and everyone else.

Also geo did you you do any sort of rebuild on your det before install and where did you buy it?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Blue93G20 said:
Also geo did you you do any sort of rebuild on your det before install and where did you buy it?
I changed the rod bearings, installed a new water pump, and new main seals. That's about it.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
NismoPC said:

Wrong answer. Only certain years are plug and play. Some years have to be modified to work with other years. Several '98-'99 Sentra 2.0 owners buy an earlier model JWT ECU and modify it so they can use it in their cars since JWT has not made one for their cars yet. They go as far as swapping out O2 sensors as well.

More info:
http://www.sr20deforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20317

Another example, you can not use a '91-'93 G20 ECU in a '94-'96 G20. OBD-I -vs- OBD-II, and O2 sensors, etc. are different.

But Blue93G20, as for as the DET ECU, I have no answer for you there. Sorry.

There are sensors that will need to be swapped yes. MAF, COOLANT TEMP and TPS but other than that its plug and play

The reason I said it would work and threw your assumptions out the window was he aint OBDII he is a '93 P10, hence OBDI

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
There are sensors that will need to be swapped yes. MAF, COOLANT TEMP and TPS but other than that its plug and play

The reason I said it would work and threw your assumptions out the window was he aint OBDII he is a '93 P10, hence OBDI

And which MAF do you use? =)

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I have no idea what would work. I have heard of people just using the stock SR20DE MAF, I will try the SR20, GA16 and the KA24.

By the way why would the MAF be different if it still is an SR20. I never did ask about this before. What makes the DET and DE MAF's different?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Geo said:

I changed the rod bearings, installed a new water pump, and new main seals. That's about it.

Where did you buy it from?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
Ernt! Wrong answer again. According to his sig, he has a JDM engine, so we actually have no idea what OBD he is running. but I do believe you are right, it's OBD-I since Japan did not switch to OBD-II until a few years ago.

Sorry, it was there and I took it. ;)

Plus, wiring a resistor into the rear O2 Sensor, or drilling out the threads, retapping the threads and putting a different O2 sensor in (two options on that), etc. does not remind me much of a plug and play set up.

Also, hasn't it been noted that the 93.5 could be a high port or low port and then possibly a OBD-I or OBD-II as well since it was a mixed variety P10?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I cant speak for everyone out there but I do know for a fact that mine definately is a highport and so is BLue93g20's. I have been drooling over his engine for a long time now.

Oh yea, I aswell heard that Japan was OBDI until like '97 - '99, soomewhere in that range

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
I have no idea what would work. I have heard of people just using the stock SR20DE MAF, I will try the SR20, GA16 and the KA24.

By the way why would the MAF be different if it still is an SR20. I never did ask about this before. What makes the DET and DE MAF's different?
Well, there you go. Rumor has it that the MAF is different in the Bluebird. Why? Ask the Japanese guy who designed it. But, perhaps it's not. The MAF virtually never comes with the engine. You'd have to buy a complete front clip.

Also, by the time you're done buying and trying all the MAFs, you could have all your problems solved with less money spent by buying a JWT ECU. =)

Blue93G20 said:
Where did you buy it from?

Soken in Gardena, CA.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the motor pretty clean and was the turbo in good condition. I might drive out to california when i get the money to buy one and pick it up.

And yes mine is a High port and useing the obd-I computer from my stock motor. I didn't have to do anything out of the ordinary to replace the motor.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
you probably are right GEO and since you are the turbo pioneer I'd take your word.

I think I will try to use the DET ECU and the DET engine and just plug and swap. I will use my stock DE MAF and see how it goes.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
GTA_G20 said:
you probably are right GEO and since you are the turbo pioneer I'd take your word.

I think I will try to use the DET ECU and the DET engine and just plug and swap. I will use my stock DE MAF and see how it goes.

I don't know if I'm right. I only know what's been reported. It's been a mixed bag for some reason and no one can explain why.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Common sense would have it that nissan would use the same MAF for all variations of the SR20DE and the DET but as we found out the internal parts for the GTI-R are a lil different.

Like my daddy always says. "Common sense aint so COMMON"

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would risk using the det ecu but if i get it in there and it doesn't work right then i have to wait a month for JWT to get around to reprogramming my ecu so in my opionion its not worth the risk i'd rather it ran right from the start instead of having the wait.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Very true, However my friend is currently running a DE ECU on his BB DET b'cuz he blew his ECU when installing his gauges and the only problem noticed is rich mixture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts