Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...

I just finished swaping the engine in my 1996 P10 w/ AT. It was a lot of work but with the FSM and reading the forums, I got it done.

Note... The engine came from a 1998 Sentra with MT.

Hint... I had to change the top half of the intake because it was different... I had to swap the AC mount plate because it was different... I had to swap the passenger axle support ring... because it was different. I had to swap the exhaust manifold because it was cracked. Lesson learned... all this would've been easier if I had done this before the engine was in the car!

Anyway... the engine started and ran well with the first turn of the key. The initial drive was ok, engine wanted to overheat, but adding more coolant fixed that. That's when I found (heard) the crack exhaust manifold. After fixing that, the car was driving great... until the first hard acceleration.... then transmission dropped to neutral and will not engage.

I was going fast enough to coast a long way, and the car continued to roll well, no unusual noises, no pull to one side, etc.

1. I used Valvoline Maxlife Mer/Con to refill the AT.
2. I followed the FSM in car diagnosis and everything indicates ok, except the overdrive on/off switch isn't working (which didn't work reliably before the engine died). All lights on the AT mode switch work as expected, car won't move in "Park".
3. The engine is idleing / running great, no unusual noises... except when the shifter is moved to Rev or Drive, I think I can hear a electical buzz for a second or two.
4. No check engine lights, etc.
5. Moving the selector doesn't cause the slightest jump, change in idle speed. NOTHING! It acts like the shift linkage isn't really attached.

One thing I do need to check is the transmission cooler lines. I had the radiator fans out to get to the exhaust manifold. When I put them back in I guess I could of pinched the cooler hose blocking the flow.. but that's a long shot.

I would really appreciate any other thoughts.... otherwise it's going to the transmission shop for diagnosis.

Fred.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok... I fixed the Overdrive On/Off button so I could run the dianostics in the FSM ... all indications are that the transmission is ok....

I checked the cooler lines... ok...

One thought... I assembled the transmission to the engine a little differently than the FSM calls for. I bolted the torque converter to the flex plate, then worked then transmission on. It was difficult to get it to line up, but it worked. Here's my thought... I know I didn't get the bolts particulary tight because I planned to torque them once the engine was in the car.... but I forgot to do it until after the crossmember was in, blocking access. If the bolts weren't tight, would they shear easily under the first hard acceleration? I don't think so, but it certainly explains my symptoms...

Also, what pumps the oil in the transmission? If the "pump" failed would that explain the symptoms? Could I tell by removing one of the cooler lines and seeing if oil was being circulated? Wouldn't that cause a problem that would cause a CEL?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

Oh... if you have a AT tan colored shift lever, I'd appreciate it... The wires for the OD switch inside mine are bad.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts