Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so tonight I fly out to hartford, CT to potentially pick up my 04 SRT4...

Well, my initial intention was to just take my plates with me (figured I'd transfer them anyway as soon as I got back so no big deal)

...well, someone mentioned to me how I probably can't take a license plate on as carry on with the new 9/11 flight carrry on rules... ARG! I never even thought about the idea of a license plate being used as a weapon but I guess it makes sense with the sharp edges they have and are metal (even though it's aluminum)

...so sure enough, i called Southwest and NOPE.. not allowed as carry on.. well, I don't want to check anything (only have 1 backpack) Plus this way It should go faster through the airport, etc. (learned many interesting rules about what you can and can't take on as carry on now... interesting stuff)

So... I tried to see if I could get a 'temporary' from my DMV.. NOPE.. no plate without title here in Illinois..

..then I called CT DMV and they have this thing called 'in transit' temporary good for 7 days... GREAT! That would work perfect!

..BUT guess what... even though the local DMV was an easy exit off the I84 on the way home, and is usually open on Saturday's from 8am until 1pm, it will NOT be open tomorrow (closed on Saturday in honor of Monday Martin Luther King, Jr. holiday) ARG! so this rather nasty lady (her name was Shenequa) tells me that I can't leave the state and drive on any public road with the car until Tuesday when they open up again at 8am.. Um, yeah, right.. I'm not sticking around just for that... Then she told me I better change my flight then to get there this morning before 12:30 because they are closing early due to the holiday.... ...and NO I can't do this over the phone...

What a total joke!

...meanwhile.. the Illinois DMV won't allow me to do a transfer until I show up with title in hand...

I refuse to miss 2 or 3 days of work so this will be an interesting drive home..

Hopefully whatever police pull me over will be reasonable when I show them the Saturday dated bill-of-sale, title, my insurance and Dr. License.... otherwise I could get a ticket in every state I am driving through and this could be an expensive drive home...

....all assuming the car is as expected and I'm taking it home instead of flying back home that is....

Wish me luck guys..

I will NOT have my pc with me so I won't be able to respond ONLINE until after I get back as an FYI

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tealturboser said:
dude your crazy... do you have any plates at all? or will the previous owners let you use their plates cause there is no way your gonna drive from ct to Illinois and not get stopped for no plates

new owner will not allow me to drive in her plates (can't say I blame her)

..what I did do is overnight her my front plate only yesterday via fedex (cause I still needed to drive to work today obviously)

...and I might put that on so there is somthing on the back at least (without a valid sticker but something anyway)..

and I expect I'll be pulled over anyway regardless... so we shall see how it goes!

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no worries there.. have NO intention of drawing ANY attention to myself by speeding.. so it will be a long drive home...

DID i mention that the car is red? ..with an obnoxious wing that is going to be one of the first things to go!

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
Chris said:
no worries there.. have NO intention of drawing ANY attention to myself by speeding.. so it will be a long drive home...

DID i mention that the car is red? ..with an obnoxious wing that is going to be one of the first things to go!
and no Muffler either, so keep it in low revs :p

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
davew7 said:
Can the seller get a 7 day temp for you today and have it ready for you when you arrive?

nope.. she cannot take any time off work (already tried that angle)

AND I have to be there in person with my photo ID, driver license and sign something in front of witness.. blah blah blah

..you'd think i was buying a house instead of getting a temporary intransit plate.. sheesh..

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
/\/\/\ Yeah, funny how some people want you to come up with the $$$ but they dont wanna help with facilitating a smooth transaction. Good luck Chris, I'm sure with the right explanation a logical po po will understand. Hopefully thats the kind that nabs ya.

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MrFancypants said:
The AZ DMV has a website you can print off temporary permits and give your CC directly online to pay for it. I would hope CT/IL have similar setups.

- Greg -
yeah.. i know.. bought a car in AZ last year... that was such a breeze.. every state is different though.. no such luck with IL or CT :(

..oh the seller made it a HUGE point to emphasize what a big deal it is to rearrange her work schedule to meet me tomorrow morning at the hotel and how it is an hour drive away from her home.. blah blah blah.. so there is some effort on the seller's part...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Chris, I flew to Boston in September with a plate when I picked up our P11, I flew to Atlanta with a plate when I picked up my SE-R in October, and I flew back from Atlanta in December with my plate when I delivered my hardtop NX to it's new owner. Each time I had the plate in my backpack as a carry-on. The airlines don't control the security, the TSA does. I was not questioned on the plate once, nor did they physically look in the bag after the X-ray machine. You will be fine carrying your plate!

·
Registered
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
have you flown since the 'no liquid rule' though? things got WORSE with TSA

no water bottles even now!

..only items no bigger than 3oz in ONE ziplock back per passenger... INCLUDING DEODERANT is considered liquid (cause it's a gell)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Yes, all 3 of those flights were after the new rules.

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
Man that rule has been instated for at least 3 months...

You can buy liquids past security and carry them on now, though. Used to be no liquids of any kind even those purchased by the gates.

Medication (nasal spray, prescription creams, etc.) are allowed regardless of size. Also, if you dont declare something in your plastic baggy before security, they never notice. I've forgotten a couple items before. Make sure you bring your own baggy too -- not all airports have them to hand out and you lose everything if you dont have one.

- Greg -

·
Internet Mechanic
2,256 Posts
on my way back from colorodo in december TSA confiscated some little girls snowglobe

1 - 20 of 24 Posts