Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, me and a buddy of mine went and took our vavle covers down to be powder coated today and the guy says hes not sure if he can do them because of all the like silicon and rtv on the inside of the cover and also the is like this mesh under the plate that covers the bottom of the cover that he says is probably gonna catch all kinds of silica sand and mess stuff up. WHat do you guys think, have you guys had any problems?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
No problems if you clean and mask it properly. When you take it to your powdercoater, there should be nothing but metal; no RTV, no gasket, nothing. Mask off the screen with tape if it makes you feel better, but you shouldn't be powdercoating the bottom side anyway. All he should be spraying is the top and just barely around the lip. All overspray should be taken off of all machined and concealed surfaces before being baked.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No the problem lies with sand blasting, since these items are soaked with oil then the silica sand sticks to it and eventually will work its way off and scar cylinder walls and all that. They will let us know tomarrow if they will powdercoat them or not.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You didn't use a cleaner on the metal before sand blasting? Sorry, I assumed you knew that much...

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Well, if the monkeys here in Tucson won't powdercoat it just take it up to Phoenix and have it done properly up there. I know for a fact there are shops up there that know how to do it. I just don't know which ones are good (yet).

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These guys know what there talking about but the problem is the are several parts on the underside of the vavle cover that are platic or RTV and that stuff is going to melt a 400*. Yeah i cleaned it before i took it to them with degreser but i'd rather the guy be honest with me instead of letting me do it and have them get silica sand all through my oil and score the hell out of my cylinder walls. Silica sand in oil = bad.
Also they have a color which is almost identical to the det valve cover but i was debating on either doing this or just doing gun metal like i originally intented. I thouhgt the det color would be cool for when i do a custom turbo. HEHEHE What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Blue93G20 said:
These guys know what there talking about but the problem is the are several parts on the underside of the vavle cover that are platic or RTV and that stuff is going to melt a 400*. Yeah i cleaned it before i took it to them with degreser but i'd rather the guy be honest with me instead of letting me do it and have them get silica sand all through my oil and score the hell out of my cylinder walls. Silica sand in oil = bad.
Also they have a color which is almost identical to the det valve cover but i was debating on either doing this or just doing gun metal like i originally intented. I thouhgt the det color would be cool for when i do a custom turbo. HEHEHE What do you think?
They should be masking off the underside of the valve cover as there's no reason they'd need to clean it by sandblasting it. I also don't think those parts melt, as TONS of other people have powdercoated their valve covers and I have never read of anything like that before?
I also think if you do gunmetal I'll have to kill you :evil: You have seen my spare valve cover, right? =) (hint, the color of it starts with gun and ends with metal.) =)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Whatever you saw the color of my rims didn't you. The first part starts with gun and the last part is metal. So don't go and start that up. :lol:. Mr. i got the idea from you. :lol: I thought you were doing anthricte (sp). They are more afraid of just loose sand getting in there even if its masked. Plus they don't have the color i want so forget about it. I'll go somewhere else, anyone?

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Blue93G20 said:
the problem is the are several parts on the underside of the vavle cover that are platic or RTV and that stuff is going to melt a 400*. Yeah i cleaned it before i took it to them with degreser
Hum...I thought the VC got a lot hotter than that...I could be wrong. Either case, it does get hot and the silicone goo on the underside stays pretty intact.

But, with Powder coating, you just need a clean smooth finish. Sand blasting is not really necessary. Since its an electro-discharge coating process the paint particles will *stick* to the VC. and get smooth when baked. If anything, you may want to sand out any imperfections on the surface, but you dont *need* to have it sandblasted....and like they said, a simply masking off the underside will solve any problems....just be sure to clean it really good when you get it back if they sand blast it....good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Blue93G20 said:
Whatever you saw the color of my rims didn't you. The first part starts with gun and the last part is metal. So don't go and start that up. :lol:. Mr. i got the idea from you. :lol: I thought you were doing anthricte (sp). They are more afraid of just loose sand getting in there even if its masked. Plus they don't have the color i want so forget about it. I'll go somewhere else, anyone?

hehe, man i don't care what color you get. I think anthracite, gunmetal and graphite are all pretty much the same color. I'll be up in Phoenix this weekend and maybe I'll stop by a couple places, or call up some places and see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that would be cool if you would do that justin. And thanks to everyone else for the info. I didn't really see the problem with sandblasting it either but hey the company doesn't want to risk it and i have to respect that so i'll just look somewhere else. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.