Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because Ive been a Toyota fan for over 20 years now...

Im still kinda new to the Nissans. Sorry for my NEWB questions.

With my Toyotas, when the power steering fluid is low or empty, I just top off with ATF fluid. Ive been doing this for years.

However, on my P11 G20, I didnt see an Dextron II/III notice on the reservoir. Does it take a certain type of power steering fluid or can I put ATF in there as well?

·
looking for a can opener
2,399 Posts
NO conditions is ATF to be used in power steering systems. The pressure in a power steering system on hard turns is much higher than that in an automatic transmission under load. Power steering fluid is clear in color. Power steering fluid turns dark because of heat created by the high pressure when held in hard turns. ATF will become very hot under loads and start to break down causing electrochemical degradation, this also happens with power steering fluid but not as fast was with ATF. Once this process starts, your power steering pump and rack & pinion begin to clog with sludge and varnish deposits. The sludge and varnish can cause stiffness, leaks, or complete system failures. "
-tHE iNtErnet

(i would have never been able to explain it as clear as ^)

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
NO conditions is ATF to be used in power steering systems. The pressure in a power steering system on hard turns is much higher than that in an automatic transmission under load. Power steering fluid is clear in color. Power steering fluid turns dark because of heat created by the high pressure when held in hard turns. ATF will become very hot under loads and start to break down causing electrochemical degradation, this also happens with power steering fluid but not as fast was with ATF. Once this process starts, your power steering pump and rack & pinion begin to clog with sludge and varnish deposits. The sludge and varnish can cause stiffness, leaks, or complete system failures. "
-tHE iNtErnet

(i would have never been able to explain it as clear as ^)
Well we do use ATF in our PS systems and it isn't clear it's red :p

From the 2000 FSM.

"Genuine Nissan PSF, Canada Nissan Automatic Transmission Fluid, DexronTM III/MerconTM or equivalent ATF may also be used."

·
Registered
311 Posts
nissan and most other manufacturers use a dexron II/III in their power steering systems.
however, honda uses a specific power steering fluid that can't be substituted with a dexron II/III lubricant.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The p10 service manual calls for Dextron type automatic transmission fluid to be used in the power steering system.
A local Nissan dealer's parts counter and Infiniti dealer's parts counter says the G20's SR20DE engine requires Nissan Power Steering Fluid, part # 999MPAG000P.

After having spoken with dealership parts counter staff, I understand Nissan Matic D ATF is also approved by certain technicians, as it superceeds the "Dextron type ATF" recommended in the p10 service manual, and is DEXTRON III ATF.

Is it advisable to use Nissan's Matic D ATF in place of aftermarket Dex Merc ATF these days? Or are aftermarket DEX MERC ATF's just as safe to use?

·
Registered
20,795 Posts
I'm at the point now, where I'd say just use what Nissan says. I can't imagine you'd use enough of it that even paying the dumb dealer markup it would cost of whole hell of a lot.

The reason I say so is a million years ago, I had this p11 that gave me nothing but grief. P11s are supposed to be dexton III on power steering, and matic D on slushbox. My engine failed and when I put the new one in I replaced the autofluid with MDIII. What is MDIII? Well know one knows. dextron doesn't license the specification anymore so there is really no way of knowing what you are getting or what people are selling but people still put something that looks like the old dextron III name on the bottle even though they can't. The gearbox failed a year later. Because the fluid? Maybe. Because it was turbo for a while? Probably a bigger factor. Maybe the car hate me.

I also had a p10, cv failed. So I drained the manual box when I replaced it, and replaced it with whatever I could get that was sort of 75w90. Syncros were gone asap. Wrong fluid because it wasn't GL-4? Maybe. It is crap like this that makes me second guess all my decisions.

So now I overthink everything when it comes to fluid. Cause I don't want my stuff to leak or fail. Automotive fluids are this one big voodoo magic thing that no one understands anyway.

Except Prestone 50/50. That shit works. I know people are like "but I use a combination of water and unicorn tears to lower temps" but I'm telling you the green stuff works.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Am I wrong in assuming the Synthetic PS fluid would cause leaks in the seals, especially in the steering rack? I am basing that assumption on my understanding on synthetic as being "thinner".

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have read posts here in which drivers tell about leaks developing throughout their PS sytem after having used PS fluid instead if Dextron III ATF. (I don't want to develop leaks or to have to replace the passenger side LCA again due to PS fluid leaking and making its way down to the pressed in bushing on the LCM, like it did previously when the old high pressure line was leaking.) This is my concern.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Nissan says to use "Nissan Power Steering Fluid", as it supersedes the prescribed use of MATIC D ATF in PS system by Nissan mechanics. It is more expensive than Nissan MATIC D, but Nissan says they are both Dextron III.

I am with you when you say, "I'm at the point now, where I'd say just use what Nissan says. I can't imagine you'd use enough of it that even paying the dumb dealer markup it would cost of whole hell of a lot."

·
Registered
329 Posts
Interesting detail I found in Valvoline's Safety Data Sheets:
Valvoline Power Steering Fluid is RED, 35 mm2/s at 40 ºC
Valvoline Professional Series Power Steering Fluid is AMBER, 42 mm2/s at 40 ºC, 7 - 8 mm2/s at 100 ºC
Valvoline SynPower Power Steering Fluid is OLIVE GREEN. 18.7 mm2/s at 40 ºC, 6.0 mm2/s at 100 ºC

The viscosity of the Professional Series PSF is 42 mm2/s at 40 ºC.
The average viscosity of the Dextron III ATF equivalent is 36 mm2/s at 40 ºC, 7 - 8 mm2/s at 100 ºC.

It looks like the Professional Series PSF is actually thicker than the average Dextron III ATF.
It seems like the thinner of the two would be the one to cause leaking at the seals, No?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts