Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled my power steering fluid reservoir with power steering fluid after replacing a leaking power steering hose. Just now I happened to be looking at the online owners manual and I see Infiniti recommends Dexron II automatic transmission fluid be used in the power steering system. Did I just screw up bigtime or are these fluids compatible? Has anyone else used power steering fluid and did it cause any problems? Are power steering fluid and automatic transmission fluid basically the same thing?

·
Registered
415 Posts
you should be okay, with power steering fluid. I used this alot in my 300zx, before i read that you are suppose to use Dexron (a.k.a Automatic transmission fluid) however since the z had a leak for about a year, after all the power steering fluid had been flushed from the system i just started putting in ATF with no problems.

So to answer your question no powersteering fluid will be fine.

regards

joe a.ka wiGgY

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
Just suck all the fluid out of the reservoir and put in some ATF. The fluids are different. Youll notice ATF is red and the PS fluid is clear to help remind you of the difference. But I made the same mistake too, once ;)

You also didnt flush the whole system out so you still have a lot of ATF in the system. I dont think you will do any damage.

- Greg -

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did a little research. The Dexron II and Dexron IIE recommended for the power steering system and automatic transmission aren't even sold anymore, at least not in any stores I went to. They have been superceded by Dexron III. I talked to a transmission mechanic and he said he didn't see any problem with adding power steering fluid to an early model infinity power steering system instead of the Dexron IIE Infiniti calls for in their owners manual. My guess is power steering fluid may even be better if you use some good stuff.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
this is kind of an old post.....but i'm doin the power steering rack next week and i was curious what i should use to fill it back up....automatic transmission fluid or power steering fluid? some suggestions would be great!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think 1 quart might be enough, but 2 will definitely cover. After everything is put back together bleed the system with the front raised, reservoir full and rotate steering wheel lock to lock with engine off and again with engine running. Check fluid level and top off as it decreases. Keep turning lock to lock until fluid level stops dropping. Eventually fluid will be churning with engine on, but no air bubbles. There is air in the system if the steering clicks or the steering pump is making noise. Good luck with the steering rack replacement. I haven't done one on the G, but once on a GM product. Not a lot of room and kinda messy.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
yeah but it will be pretty easy cause i'm doin it while my engine is out! :)
but can someone tell me whey ATF is better to use than power steering fluid? I went and got a couple quarts of penzoil ATF....so that should work out! thanks for the help dave

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
but one more question....when you said to bleed the system with the front raised, resevoir full....did you mean to bleed the system and then fill the reservoir or bleed the system after i have filled the reservoir back up?

·
Registered
332 Posts
I saw a thread on Power Steering Fluid vs. ATF for SR20DE engines. I understand that ATF is called for by Infiniti and Nissan's manual.
I am curious, What is it about the PS fluid that actually causes the leaks in the PS system when PS fluid is used instead of ATF?
Detergents in PS reacting with rubber?, Detergents eliminating sludge that was actually preventing leaks at the seals? PS fluid's viscosity seems to be higher than the average Dextron II / III ATF, so it doesn't seem that the PS fluid is slipping past the seals due to its viscosity.
I appreciate any feedback you can provide on this topic.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts