Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to clean the engine bay with some degreaser. Once that is done is it ok to pressure wash it clean, or should I just hose it down, or nothing? Or is it just a bad idea?

Of course, I can wait after I do it for it to dry before driving again. Thoughts, Ideas?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the same question. Unfortunately my engine bay is really dirty - I've tried hand cleaning everything, but it just needs to be sprayed out - I haven't done it yet just because I didn't want to cause any problems. It's not like I'm showing my engine off to anyone - but when I change the oil or open the hood for something, I'd like to see a clean engine - and I'd like to be able to pull the dipstick or open the airbox without getting quite as much crap all over my hands!

·
no rainguard clips...FML
4,132 Posts
its generally suggested to NOT use a a pressure washer in your bay as you will be forcing water into little crevices that usually dont have water, therefore causing you car troubles.

search sr20 forum and you'll see a how to for engine bay cleaning. most people just bag up all the important electrical stuff and spray degreaser all over the place or even engine bright, then hose it down using running water. gently!

*edit* or i paid $50bucks to get it professionally cleaned top and bottom at a local detail/hand car wash station

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
yup, just spray engine degreaser all over under there (avoid things like alternator and open electrical components as well as intake...) and then basicly steam clean it and you should be fine.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
iv taken a pressure steamer/washer to my engine bay several times... just dont hit the hood liner, and give it time to cool and fully dry if you use steam.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
it would be more like a steamer with a pressure attachment ;) any decent car wash should have one, but i wouldnt trust them to use it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AzG20P11 said:
it would be more like a steamer with a pressure attachment ;) any decent car wash should have one, but i wouldnt trust them to use it.
haha, my bad....hrmm...must find someone around who has one! How often do you do yours? As necessary or one a year or whenever you feel like it?

thanks for the info!

·
♥
3,947 Posts
iv done it 3 times.... in bout 2 years. i like to rally dirt roads some times(we have enough of em), so it really needs it every so often.

honestly iv never experienced any mechanical problem from it. the first time, i diddnt allow it to dry completely before shutting the hood. the next day i opened it up, and some of the hood liner had come loose from the steam. but your engine bay will look showroom quality after the steam, something that cant be accomplished with a rag.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
if you do spray water everywhere like everyone said make su eyou cover the alt and any electrical shit, but also before you even try to start your car make sure there is no water in the holes where the spark plugs go. if souse a rag or paper towels to dry it, i didnt know it was there and about a mile after driving(everything looked dry to me, never checked the spark plug holes) the engine started getting hella hot n i started seeing smoke. thank gawn i caught it early. that was a few years back with my old b13.

·
♥
3,947 Posts
there could be cheap ones... you may want to check locally

the pricey problem is you need an electric or gas powered water heater and tank

someone might make a portable water heater that hooks up to an existing pressure washer. buy one, and start your own pressure washing business. :D

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
I'm doin mine as soon as I get my PC VC back. Plastic bag over the alt and whatever else and it should be good to go. I remember when I did it on my old El Camino and forgot to cover the dizzy, water under the cap = rough runnin. :smile:

I have a gas powered pressure washer if anyone wants ta come to Spokane. :p

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
^^^I havent used it on the G yet but my friend is a mech and if he says its alright then I will and if it F's anything up then he'll fix it. :smile:
I know I will use it on such things as the brake calipers before painting them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts