Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i got a little bit of a problem with my system im running right now.

I've got 2 12" rockford fosgate punch Z's.(kinda shitty)
I've got an Alpine V12 2ch amp.
I've got a Kenwood Exlon 450w mono sub amp.
I'm only running one amp right now.

here's the problem: when i hook up either one of my amps to just one of the subs, it makes that sub bump. But when i hook up either amp to both subs they sound like shit.

I wanna know if i could just hook up both amps and have them each power one sub. And how would i do this OR is there something else i should be doing or trying? I'll take any suggestions.

keep in mind im broke as a joke

peace:smoke: 1

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Hope this helps

Im assuming that since you have a kenwood monoblock that would be runing your Subwoofer. Athough, if I were given the choice I would use the v12 over that Kenwood P.O.S. Anyways using the kenwood monoblock do as follows:

Wiring of the subs.
Two 4ohm subwoofers wired together yields a 2ohm load seen by the amplifier(4/2=2). Therefore when you wire two subwoofers in paralell you divide your resitiance of current flow. Less resistance = more power. Most amplifiers double in power when they switch from 4ohms to 2ohms.

1) Connect the positive lead from subwoofer (1) to the positive lead from subwoofer (2).

2) Connect the negative lead from sub.(1) to sub.(2)

Connecting your box to your amp.

3) Connect speakerwire to both terminals on your box.

4)Connect the positive wire from the box to the positive lead on the amplifier.

5) Connect the negative wire from the box to the negative lead on the amplifier.

·
Registered
138 Posts
hmm...heres some questions for you...

what "ohm" subs are these?
are the subs in separate enclosures?
what type of enclosure?
how are the subs currently wiring when running both of them to a single amp?
what are the model numbers for the amps you have?

my suggestions so far...

wire your speakers mono
make sure you have your speaker wires on the right terminals to put it in bridged mode
make sure the bridged mode switch is on if it has one
make sure the low-pass filters on the amp is on
make sure the gains/input sensitivity are up (enough)
do not run separate amps on separate subs

last resort: sell all your amps, buy an inexpensive but decent quality amp, such as a US acoustics or an Autotek amp, these should make it pound, considering you get the right one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im pretty sure that my subs are 8ohms, but im typing this in scoo so im not sure, ill go check after i get out. both subs are in one box.
[oIo]
the box looks kinda like that, ya know with a spot for each sub an a board in between to seperate each subs airspace. I know the gains are all set. I'll try the low pass filters an stuff, but can i wire them in paralell mode if they're 8ohms?

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
YES

spita07 said:
im pretty sure that my subs are 8ohms, but im typing this in scoo so im not sure, ill go check after i get out. both subs are in one box.
[oIo]
the box looks kinda like that, ya know with a spot for each sub an a board in between to seperate each subs airspace. I know the gains are all set. I'll try the low pass filters an stuff, but can i wire them in paralell mode if they're 8ohms?
you sure can. Its just that [8/2=4ohm load]
No extra power will come from your amplifier but you will get the factory recommended specs.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Very simple solution. Sounds like you got yourself some bass cancelation. Try reversing the + and - leads on one of your subwoofers. If that fixes the problem, DON'T leave it like that. Find out where you wired + and - reversely and fix it. Good luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yaaaaaallll sheeeeeeiiiit

dam, im confused. My subs are 8ohms each. So if i hook em up in parallel mode with the 450w kenwood will both be getting the same power, an will it sound better then just having one of the subs hooked up the normal way?

I've tried bridging to the two subs with the kenwood and also with the V12 (not at the same time) and neither of them sounded nearly as good as when it's just to one sub.

pics are real good too!

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
If you have (2)8 ohm subs and wire them in parrallel your amp will see a 4ohm load. The 4ohm load is shared between the two woofers. Since you have 450watts 450/2=225watts total output per subwoofer.

Are you sure the kenwood is a monoblock? If so It should only have 2 leads one(+) and one(-).

The v12 Is a two channel I think you said? Well it should say on the amp how to bridged it and make sure you flick the switch that will say mono or bridged.

If you have any questions honestly dont worry about asking.

Oh ya I can bet that the subs didnt sound good when you hooked up the two was because u wired them the opposite way its called SERIES. This happens when you put the negative on speaker 1 to the positive of speaker two and vice versa. that would give you 8*2=16ohm load on your amplifier. Seeing that your amp is rated at 450. You would be pushing a total of 450/4=112.5watts total split between two subs. So it would be 56.25 watts each sub.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the kenwood i got is a monoblock(KAC-819) with one (+)pos and one (-)neg lead. Right next to those tho it's got these things called sigma servo an there is a (+)pos and (-)neg lead for those too. I dunno anything about these but i'd love it if you could tell me about em.

The way I've tried bridging the kenwood to 2 subs is like this:

1.connect (+)pos on amp to (+) on sub#1.

2.connect (-)neg on amp to (-) on sub#1.

3.connect (+)pos on amp (already has sub#1's wires in it but i cram this one in there too) to (+) on sub#2.

4.connect (-)neg on amp (same as parenthesis on step 3) to (-) on sub#2.

i dunno if that's the right way to do it or not but lemme know if you know a better way or something else i should be doing or if im just being a retard like usual.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Well, that sounds right. What's wrong with the sound when they are both hooked up? If the bass goes away then I still think it's bass cancelation . Try reversing + and - on one of the subs (have you tried this) The problem might be in the box wiring. little confused but who knows

As for the Sigma Servo - it's kenwood technology. I had it on my old eXcelon amplifier. I NEVER noticed a difference hooking it up but what it does is increase the amplifier's dampning factor to an insanely high number. It makes the amp have better control of your subwoofers. It's pretty cool actually.

The way it works is that you also hook the + and - leads on the sigma servo to the same + and - leads on the sub. However, you are supposed to use the + and - leads on the SUBWOOFER and not directly on the amplifier's + and - output. I'm not sure if you can hook ONE lead up to two subwoofers. However, if the subwoofers are the same manufacturer, impendance, and specs, then just hooking it up to one subwoofer should also control the other subwoofer just as good. If you're confused, go check your kenwood manual.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Subwoofers in Box
>>\>> / >>>\>> /
(1) \__/ >>>>\__/ (2)
>(+)>>(-)>>(+)>>(-)
>>[>>>]____[____]
>>|>>>}>>>}
>>|____}___|
>>|>>>|
>>|>>>|
>>|>>>|
>>|>>>|
>>[>>>]
>(+)>>(-)
>>|>>>|

Do exactly this and it should work out fine. 4 Ohm load on the amplifier and I will guarantee that it will sound nice. Wire the subs together at the backside of the box from the terminals.

P.S. this took a lil' bit of time to draw with simple keys. Hope u understand.

feel free to ask more questions

Its kinda hard to see hope you can make it out. There is a left justification and I cant show it any other way

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright, i wanna thank all of you for the help with all these questions, but i got 1 last one. how would i go about hooking up the Sigma Servo leads?
i wanna know how to hook them up to 1 sub or 2 subs.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
spita07 said:
alright, i wanna thank all of you for the help with all these questions, but i got 1 last one. how would i go about hooking up the Sigma Servo leads?
i wanna know how to hook them up to 1 sub or 2 subs.

what are those?

·
Registered
138 Posts
i think your problem here is the amp, the kac-819 isn't really strong enough to be powering 2 subs, especially 2 - 8 ohm ones that can only make a 4 ohm load when wired parrallel, that amp is only rated at 150x1 at 4 ohms, which means the subs are only getting 75 a piece, which really isn't much at all.

2 solutions...

1. get a stronger amp, and if you wanna stick with kenwood, i suggest a kac-829 or a kac-929...or not look into to US acoustics or Autotek amps because of their price/performance ratio.

2. get 2 - "4 ohm" subs, so when you wire them parrallel the amp will see a 2 ohm load, which in that case the kac-819 will be pushing 230w x1 @ 2 ohms. so your subs will be getting about 115w each, which is a little better.

i'd go with number 1

btw, what model alpine amp do you have? maybe we can work around that one better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
get yourself a more powerful amps dedicated just for your subs:rolleyes: . Your amps is under powering your subs that's why you couldn't get more out of your bass. MTX is one of a good choice powering subs. The more power your amps..., the happier your subs will be =)

If you can get a hold of Kenwood PS300 like mine..., it's a great piece running my MTX 3x10's.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I just realized that you have a Kenwood Excelon Series? Hump? That's probably better than mine. So, I wonder what's the problem, because I'm happy with my kenwood :surprised.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
MTX and Kenwood both suck.

If you want good shiet get ZAPCO, PHOENIX GOLD, old PPI or old HIFONICS

·
Registered
158 Posts
I'm satisfied with it, serves my listening needs, had it for around 3 yrs., didn't have any problem with it yet. What else can I ask for? I used to have Xtant and Phoenix Gold (got stolen) I know they are excellent piece and highly recommended, but they are overly priced now. I know you pay what you get for, so I paid what I got from Kenwood and my other stuff now..., and happy with it =)

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
Sorry, didnt mean to bash you. I've been through alot of stuff and outta all that I've tested what I've listed are by far the tops of whats available.

Kenwood and MTX I have used some subs and they are ok. I used my boys Kenwood amp and it fried. MTX amps do pound dont get me wrong I installed (2) different ones this year into my boys cars. They rock (1) in an 90 accord the other in a 91 Scoupe. They both bang hard. But for overall clarity they dont compare but the MTX do perform

1 - 20 of 21 Posts