Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not quite sure where to put this, but here is my question:

Does anyone stick to a particular brand of gasoline? Do you notice any difference in MPG?

Reason I ask is that about a year ago I started working for Chevron. I had never purchased their gasoline before as it was always 5~7 cents more per gallon vs Valero or whatever else was cheapest around my area. Now, I figure I might as well give back to the company that is putting food in my families bellies and HD TV's in our Den. (although you would think they would give us an incentive to buy their gas - but alas - no discount for employees)

Having said that, I have started noticing about 20-30 more miles on the trip odometer per fillup than before (a little over 2 additional mpg). Could it be the gas? It just purely mental? Techron? If it really is giving me more miles on a tank, that surely offsets a 5 cent difference when gas is 3.50/gal. Thoughts? Is anyone else brand loyal, and do you find it makes a difference?

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
shell = 29.5-30.5mpg
citgo = 29.5-30.5mpg
stop and shop gas = 26-27mpg
mobile = 24.5-25.5 mpg
cumberland farms = 23.5-24.5mpg

I calculate at every fill up. I drive 650+ mile a week and the same exact route every week. Stick with the top tier gas stations and you will see better gas mileage.

edit: just found out citgo isn't top tier but I still get great mileage from them.

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
I did work for a guy one time and he was a market annalist for gasoline. he told me without a doubt that chevron has the best gas. Im not sure all what he based that on but......he seemed to be a car enthusiast so me and him talked quite a bit. I also have seen some pro BP gas things. At drift ATL this year they had a booth and had some V6 car set to run 3cyl. on BP and 3cyl. on closest competitor( i take that as chevron) they had mini cams set on the valves after it was run half half for 10k i think? HUGE DIFFERENCE. i still use chevron FTW.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
well we dont have Chevron stations anywhere by me,
so i usually shoot for Shell or Hess if i can. always notice
better fuel economy when using those 2 over the cheaper
stations and brands. and Hess is almost always the cheapest

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
swear by shell

·
Dude, your bed is a car..
4,567 Posts
up here north i use BP

·
Registered
277 Posts
i use wal-mart 93 octane gasoline. i'm getting 30-36 mpg depending on how bored i get on curvy roads...

i'll never use speedway gas again cause that shit ruined a brand new set of plug wires and plugs. never really been a fan of any gas outside of what wal-mart sells though. and when i really want more, i'll add octane booster.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Nobody mentioned 76 yet, i use 76 mid or regular, or Citgo mid only or better, Shell not that much and Chevron is fine gas but i found that i get more out of 76 and Citgo. And i add Lucas every fill up!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Shell 91 for the past 2 years and counting....

·
Registered
22 Posts
76 medium grade. There's a place where i live that has it cheaper compared to the other strategically placed gas stations(freeway exits/main street corners ect.) North OC area on Imperial Hwy La Habra for people familiar with the area.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts