Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

Primera GT hesitiation?

896 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  J..M 
#1 ·
I've noticed on my Primera GT it get a strange hesitation and slight stuttering when at low revs and low speeds and creeping in heavy traffic. It mainly happens as you come off the throttle, and on a trailing throttle. Rev's don't seem to drop and it doesn't happen at higher rpm.

Its kinda like the effect you expect if you had dirty fuel and turning the AC on at the same.

#2 ·
Yeah, I had the same thing on my DE, and it happens a little now with the VE too. Changing the fuelfilter helped it a little bit on the DE, so did upping the timing, for some reason. Base-idle can also help it. If you have done these things, and a full tune up (plugs, cables, cap, rotor, fuel/oilfilter, oil..aaand..ehm..yeah), there could be other stuff wrong. Search around for directions on checking the maf-volt and possibly doing a reground, search for mautai's grounding kit and what that can and possibly will do, and search for setting the tps-voltage. You could also try resetting your ecu, but leaving the battery terminals unplugged for 24 hours(???many different values has been given for this time???). If this doesnt fix it at all, try unplugging your TPS as suggested in another thread in this forum, two places down from this thread as I'm writing this. Check that thread out, an see if Kwiky comes up with a solution.

#3 ·
One thing that can make the hesitation worse is when there is oil on the throttle butterfly, it causes hysteresis on the point at which air enters the engine, so the ecu is constantly having to tweak the "throttle open" volts, that tends to make it buck a bit, so clean that carefully when you do the base idle and it will be smooth for quite a while.

Mike

#4 ·
Hey Mike, do you know if sanding the area the throttle plate should be "closing" against could be necessary? I have two TB's, and tried to fix one of them up a little, cleaning and dismantling the whole thing. When I pullet the throttle backing screw, and let the throttle close as much as it could, when I held it uåp against the light, I could still see light coming out around the throttleplate. It wasnt much, but there is still air coming trough there. If it's the same with the one that's in my car right now, could this be enough to make it buck? Seems like my bucking comes mainly around 2-6% opening (as per the S-AFC reading of the tps-volt), and between 1000-2000 rpm.

#5 ·
I "THINK" they are meant to have a tiny gap, but it could be the idle air circuit for that, either way if you get the base idle set right it shouldnt matter, its only if there is play in the pivot and the closed cross section is variable that you may have issues.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.