Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting the primera header and a high flow resontor to replace the factory resonator.
Can the EGR be welded to the primera header? I want to keep all my emissions. And what is the size of the factory exhaust? How long is the factory resonator or whats the biggest I can fit in it's place length wise?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
  • Good idea, okay idea.
  • Yes. No.
  • Big enough. I'm not sure.
Now that I feel like making more sense: :D

The Primera exhaust manifold will bolt to your head and cat section. It will eliminate one of your cats (the little pre-cat under the head), so you'll have to extend the second O2 sensor to behind your main cat. Not a big deal, but this is critical for the MIL (aka CEL) from coming on. The Primera manifold may also be missing one locator bracket that your P11 may be able to use, but don't quote me.

Unless you can fit the heat shield over the Primera manifold, though, you will definitely fail the visual part of some states' emissions tests. Depending on whether they actually look for the precat, you may still fail. The EGR system can be retrofitted, but you want somebody that's good with a welder to do that part.

I'm not sure about the '99 G20, but pipe size is likely between 1.875" and 2" depending on where it's measured. If you are looking to upgrade your cat-back, 2.25" with mandrel bends is a really nice boost all around. I have no idea how long the factory resonator is, but it's of an okay design to start with. Don't expect power gains, but you should have quite a bit of room to change the tone and volume by tuning the resonator.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
If this is the primary section off of a JDM SR20DE I don't believe it'll bolt up to your secondary pipe. I know on the P10 it won't, i'm not sure if the length of the primary and secondary changed later, although i don't think it did. I'm pretty sure you'd have to get a custom secondary header section fabbed up to work with that Primera exhaust manifold.
Also, if you're going for performance i'd suggest a full exhaust over just changing the resonator, or spend the money elsewhere, such as CAI, header, or maybe a set of UR pullies.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check my sig. I have a CAI. and I'm working on the header w/ the primera header. I don't need super performance just a little more so I'd rather not spend big money on a header and pulleys. The primera header can be gotten for $50-$75 and a resonator is between $20-$30. I am pretty sure (from what I read) that the down pipe from the factory manifold can be shortened to accept the primera header using the same joint setup. I am going to find out how much to add the EGR and shorten it soon. I just didn't want to go in there looking ignorant because the price would probably get inflated if they think they have a sucker. The resonator I want to get is perforated and should help flow. I was told by the exhaust shop that installed my muffler that removing it would help alot. but I don't want it to be to loud so I want to replace it with a higher flowing longer one (If possible). I think all together it should cost in the ball park of $150-$200 w/ header, resonator and installation.

That is probably the most I've ever typed. WOW

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Importers that salvage the entire front clip should have no problem finding the secondary pipe as well. There are a number of them in the Wild in the US already, and I don't see why they would be so difficult to get.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never checked an importer. I just seen on the SER forum every one that installs the primera 10:1 motor sells them because they can't use them on their US exhaust. the two reasons they give are the secondary and the EGR. I don't want to spend alot and I think the pacesetter is a piece of junk( no flex pipe just a ball joint). with the factory secondary I'll keep the flex pipe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts