Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start posting here as its more relevant.

Norris Designs are selling 200sx engines for £1175 imported from japan with a guaranted mileage of less than 35k. there is then a turbo for about £600 and other bits and pieces.

I'm going to start looking for a wrecked 200sx in the scrap yards and see what prices I can get. That would then give me a complete engine and turbo although I guess they would need to be from a low mileage one or it wouldnt be worth while.

If it doesnt get cheaper than this maybe a Primera GT engine @ £650 and a custom turbo will be a better option. Any thoughts people?

lemme know what you think.

Kev

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Clearly we're talking about two cars here, right? You can't put a Silvia engine in a Primera, nor can you put a Primera engine in a Silvia, without quite a bit of external block machine work. Get one of those Sunny GTi-R boys in the UK to sell you an engine and put that in the P. ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 200sx engine is the same type as the primera one and should be a direct replacement so I'm told. I'm not talking about the silvia engine. Maybe its the 240sx you have in america. The sports car looking one already turbo'd.

The reason I'm nto going for the GTI-R is because its looking too expensive. Unless I can find one at a scrap yard.

Anyone got any more input? I need some help!!

cheers
Kev

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the 200sx engine (in the uk) is a SR20DET is it not?

I'm awaiting an email from norris designs so I will let you know.

Kev

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
The Silvia/240sx (s13/s14/s15) motor is a RWD motor and will not fit properly in a FWD car (P10/P11/B13/B14, etc..). Although they are both technically SR20DET motors, they are infact different.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bizzarre, I had been told it would fit even tho it was RWD.... oh well that answers that one then. so its a GT engine plus turbo or a GTI-R engine. hmmm looks like the GT engine it is then. what an arse that is!!! Can I still use the turbo off a 200sx on a GT engine?

are there no other engines that will fit?

Kev

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Kev, here's an idea...

Why not save that £650 and put it towards turbo charging your 1.6??

Maybe with the smaller engine and no air con(?) you'll have more room under the bonnet for your conversion. See Kev Shek's pages for all the trouble on fitting stuff into the engine bay.

I don't think anyone else has done this (?) - probably cos across the pond they don't have the 1.6 - or maybe it can't be done easily??? It would be unique, that's for sure!

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
something quickly on this.

an engine swop from a 240sx has been done to the primera so it is actually possible although I dont know what modifications were needed. But just to let you know it is possible.

Kev

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
kfairburn said:
are there no other engines that will fit?
There are three easy options:
  • GTi-R Hatch Engine (not exactly easy).
  • Bluebird SSS ATTESA Sedan (not easy to find).
  • Avenir Estate (I have no idea whether these were sent to the UK or not).
The Bluebird is the easiest, since it's almost identical to an SR20DE on the outside except for the overgrown hairdryer attached to the exhaust manifold. The Avenir is less common, but produces more power, and is almost identical to the Bluebird engine. The GTi-R is the only one I'm certain can be found in the UK without the aid of an importer, and is also the most complicated mechanically and electrically to swap. Unless of course you count the Silvia engine (S-platform), which is completely not worth the effort, but is actually possible.

Yes, a Silvia turbo will fit on a GTi-R manifold, but maybe not on a Bluebird manifold (depends on the turbo), not sure about the Avenir yet. Depending on the year, it may not be a good idea, since the S13 and U12/U13 used very similar T25 turbos. GTi-R manifolds were designed to hold a T28 further off the block, so any Silvia turbo will definitely fit to it. The Avenir manifold is of a similar design to the 'R unit, but nobody seems to know if a T28 will clear the block with it or not. To fit a T28 on a Bluebird manifold, you have to shave the block. Fitting a Silvia manifold to a FWD engine configuration is not exactly practical, and I'm almost certain it wouldn't be worth the effort under a Primera bonnet.

Geo put a fairly plain Bluebird engine into his G20, and it was relatively easy. By "plain" I mean externally; he had lots of cool stuff like the manifold coating, but he didn't have any exotic tubular manifolds, just factory type ones. I've never seen a GTi-R engine in a Primera, but I think it'd be Hot as Hell to get running. One might as well put in an Avenir engine and mate an 'R manifold and turbo with a Silvia compressor housing, though; it'd be easier.

If you want a turbo SR, you're going to have to dig a lot deeper, but lots of people will be more than happy to help you figure it out. BTW; I didn't remember that you don't call Silvias by their proper names, as we don't, either. Sorry for the confusion. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
What might be a usable solution, as getting the bb det in the UK is going to be damn near impossible, would be just to get the turbo pipework and bolt it onto a uk 2-litre. To use a turbo'd sr20 in a P11 you're going to end up wanting custom intercooler work anyway so really the manifold and downpipe are going to be the most critical. If you can get these and find a suitable turbo, get the custom intercooler and sort the pipework to get the air back in the engine you should be done.

As a side point, I might well be wrong on this, you could possibly be better off with a normal sr20de and turboing that rather than a GT sr20 as the GTs have a 10:1 compression and the rest have 9.5:1. But i could be wrong....

What's happened to my grammar? (She's gone shoppin'...) I'm hoping you're getting the point.

And for all our transatlantic friends that probably couldn't care less:
England 1 Argentina 0
England and Sweden leading Group F

·
Registered
311 Posts
While I think of it.... You're running a 1.6 right? The possibility of sticking a bloody great supercharger under that has crossed my mind.

The requirements of a supercharger and turbo are different. The sr20s have enough low end to make the most of a turbo and you'll find that the general concensus round here is that turbo is the way to go.

The 1.6 might prove better off with a supercharger pushing from lower revs.

A little bit of work (and a fair old chunk of boost) and I don't see why you couldn't be pushing the 220bhp mark of the GTiR engine with the one you've got. And using a 1.6 it's got to be a little more insurance friendly too.

Maybe a 50-75 shot of nitrous on a progressive controller (no I'm not being ricey, I'm being budget concious) and you'd upset most things on the road, including the majority of scoobys.

Just a thought anyway.

-edit-
UK boys: take a look at http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2066

1 - 11 of 11 Posts