Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was driving fine but one morning in would not start. It started for a sec then dies then in just cranks and cranks any ideas i tired jupming in and adding fuel :(

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
Ak1m0to said:
sounds like the starter might have gone out.
i dont know about that if the engine died, and the car still cranks, sounds like the starter is still ok. i would pull a spark plug and check to see if you're getting spark, second change fuel filter (it might be blocked or starving your fuel system if its old), also check around the block for any weird leaks (coolant especially, if this is the case a gasket might have went bad), if you are sure there are no weird leaks, remember A,F,F (air, fuel, fire) if your not getting one of these three things your car will just keep cranking and not starting, good luck

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
VWs are known for having electrical problems too, might be that.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i'm thininking it was a the spark plugs also, it seems like it not getting spark :(
i looked and didnt see anything wired things in the engine looks fine, maybe its the battery?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
If it cranks, I don't think it's the battery.

More then likely like I said, it's the starter.
If not, it's the basic Air, fuel, Fire. Ignition, dis. cap, fuel system,
something along those lines

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
what year grt-i ?
have you check fuelpres and spark? always first on the list in a crank no start

·
Registered
431 Posts
ChicagoG20 said:
it was driving fine but one morning in would not start. It started for a sec then dies then in just cranks and cranks any ideas i tired jupming in and adding fuel :(

TIMING BELT! :paranoid:

Very likely (this exact thing happened on a Scirocco I once owned)

If so, I hope your GTI is an 8V (non-interference). The sig looks exactly like another VW I owned ('90 8V GTI Wolfsburg in red).

·
Registered
526 Posts
Ak1m0to said:
If it cranks, I don't think it's the battery.

More then likely like I said, it's the starter.
If not, it's the basic Air, fuel, Fire. Ignition, dis. cap, fuel system,
something along those lines
How is it that the motor can crank over and the starter be dead? im scratching my head at this comment?

Check distributer and timing belt.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
When my starter died, the car still cranked, later it would just click.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
the belt on your car is very easy to change.
if you pull top cover for belt or if you remove dist cap and crank engine if neather one turns the belt is broken but if it jumped you will have to check it according to the manual. but have yiou checked engine getting fuel and spark at the chambers yet?
U didn't put deasil fuel in a unleaded car did you? that will cuase hard tio find problem

·
I'm Better Than Zohaib
1,024 Posts
starter selinoid could be the problem too...

and for who ever said that VW's have electrical issues, that is in the MK4's and even then, it wasn't really an issue, it was the coil packs (covered by warenty) do you're homework first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts