Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This review is for the JIC SA-1 5-way adjustable coilover suspension system for the P11 (although they do make it for the P10 as well). They also offer the SF-1s for a few hundred less that are not adjustable (meaning rebound adjustable) They are both adjustable in height, although the travel is reduced the lower you set them unlike the FLT's which are not offered for the P11. The SA-1s have a 5-way adjustable rebound which is basically stiffness.
Also JICs are a complete setup, just bolt them right on. They come with pillowball mounts, so you do not need to re-use your stock mounts (ie. like most Tein setups).

This setup runs anywhere from $1250 to $1500 or so. I paid $1300 cash for mine in late 2002.

These are surprisingly easy to install, I watched someone do it (paid him $50) and then wished I had done it. Basically its only 3 nuts up top, and 1 bolt below. The fronts are a bit more complicated because you need to swing the A arm out of the way, but still, probably a 2 hour job if you are new, 30-min if you know what you are doing.

No HP gains but handle this!

The only problems I have had are 1. its really low in the front, and 2. they can be a bit noisy at times.
I currently run mine at maximum height in the front without pre-loading the springs and a little lower than 1/2 in the rear. If you have seen pics of my car then you will know that it is quite low. With the Wings West lip, you can barely fit your fist or foot under the front of the car making speed bumps do-able, but angled driveways a nightmare.
The noise is basically a squeek here and there and sometimes a psst sound from the shocks. What the heck though, they are coilovers, they make noise... all do.

As for stiffness... It all depends on how low or high you run them (suspension travel and spring compression) in addition to how stiff you set the rebound. I have mine setup with a 3 in the front and a 2 in the rear (1 being softest, 5 stiffest). The front is at the softest I can without worring about bottoming the Downpipe or scraping the tires in the fenders (freaken offset on my 18s). If you arent running 18's and dont have a really low downpipe (you turbo people), then this may not concern you. The rears are set softer, but because of the lower setting (1/2 way down) it feels stiffer (and my rear passengers complain... the old ones do at least :lol: ) I would say it is more than 2x, maybe 3x as stiff as stock the way mine is set up. You feel alot more of the road and it can be a bit jarry on rough roads. You will feel the biggest difference with large bumps and dips, not so much with small cracks and little pot holes and such. If you want a soft smooth ride, then this will probably be too stiff for you. Low cars and smooth suspension = shitty handling (think caddilac). You cannot have a great handling car and a smooth ride, the closest thing to that is a BMW.

Overall 9/10 - Great product, a bit expensive and hard to get ahold of, but great for the handling connosur.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have had the SA-1 on my P10 for about a year now. Handling is probably as good as you can get, although it is pretty damn bumpy on the rough roads.

The front is sitting pretty low, although my rear is tucked in nicely as well. I'm paranoid about the steep drive-ins, but no problems with the speed bumps as long as I go over them slowly.

Only complaint is that in the fast sharp corner you can hear the front rub a little over the fender, but it's really minute (i'm on 17s). The drop on my car is about 1.5-2 inch front and a good 2.5-3 in the back.

The downpipe sits the lowest under the car so I have to be carefull with that as well.

Oh yeah, I'm having my right front wheel bearing replaced as I type this. So there is more stress on the stock parts with this suspension.

Price is quite steep also, but if you want nothing but the best for your car then this is obviosly the right choice.

9/10

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
SA-1: i give it a 9/10

I miss this setup and wish i could find it again. like every other G part its almost impossible to find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts