Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I guess I will start this off...

5 ***** out of 5!

The B&M short shifter was the very first modification I did to my car seeing how it took me the better part of a day to get it in. I would have to say this is a must for any of those people out there new to cars.

The first drive out after the installation I was actually a little scared as to whether I even installed it right because the throw was so short compared to stock it didn't feel right. After a few shifts I dropped it and it was amazing how solid the shifts were and how fast I was able to get the car into gear.

This is a must for anyone out there!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
The rattling is the shifter up against the side of the hole it goes through in the chassis. When you do the install you need to make sure you use a dremel to widen it up a little bit to prevent that from happening.

BTW I thought we were reviewing the product not how hard it was to install.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
1993.5 Infiniti G20 (US-Spec SR20DE highport)

Installation was pretty simple w/included instructions (even though making sence of all the tech words wasn't, just read the instructions 5-6 times and it'll finally make sence) PB Blaster is your friend w/this install.

The first drive out after the installation I was actually a little scared as to whether I even installed it right because the throw was so short compared to stock it didn't feel right.
It is real tight @ first!
I felt like I was a racecar driver slammin the gears.
HUGE improvement over stock

10/10 stars:
Best SS on the market!
Relatively easy install, BIG difference from stock!

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Chris said:
maybe there should be a seperate rating for installation?

I didn't install it myself but I heard all the cursing during the install process AND I hear it is a difficult install no matter which car it goes in! (VW, Porsche, G20, etc.)
Must be diff on a porsche then because on the g20 it really is simple. I just didn't have the right tools so it took me forever.
All you do is remove the heatshield, remvoe stock shifter and bolt in the b&m literally that easy.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
great mod, installed it shortly after purchasing it off of a member slightly used. install was fairly simple cept for my stripped wrench. first run around the block (streets set up like a mini race course:p ) was great. felt like i was in autocross race:lol:

highly recommened!

·
Registered
451 Posts
yes, it is a great mod for your car.

i actually used to have an auto tranny and had a sentra se-r swapped into my g20. first i thought that the feel of the shifter was pretty nice and precise and relatively short.
however, once i had the B&M in, i was like WOW, there is no way i'm going back to any other shifters. i drove a bmw 328i w/ a manual tranny and that thing sucked compared to an engaging, short, precise throws of the B&M.

i love it and highly recommend to anyone. absolutely worth it. if you don't believe me, try it on someone's car first and then you won't want drive your own!

·
Registered
453 Posts
5 out of 5

BeyondRiddIck said:
4 out of 5. Maybe its just b/c I'm an idiot, I had the hardest time getting the damn thing in, but now that it is in I love it, mine rattles at around 3500 rpm.
the sound might also be the bottom of the shifter rattling against the upper heat shield for your cat...

drove a g20 with a B&M ... one word... sexy... :p

·
Registered
12,427 Posts
I've done several porsche short shifters and they are way different than the g20 ones. Your boxster is a cable shifter and you have to break the shifter mounts for the stock shifter then put the b&m one in. Basically once you've put a short shifter in a porsche you can't put the stock one back in unless you get a new stock shifter assembly.

Chris said:
maybe there should be a seperate rating for installation?

I didn't install it myself but I heard all the cursing during the install process AND I hear it is a difficult install no matter which car it goes in! (VW, Porsche, G20, etc.)

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
8 of 10.

Great product, still for the money I prefer a pacesetter. The third is so close to the center console. The shift are so close you'll have to learn how to drive again :thumbsup:

Some rattling will occur.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have not tried the B&M or Pacesetter for that matter, but I would say the same about the Cosmo SS as Carlos did about the B&M.
CarloSR said:
8 of 10.

Great product . The third is so close to the center console. The shift are so close you'll have to learn how to drive again :thumbsup:

Some rattling will occur.
I know this is not a Cosmo SS review thread, but he did ask!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The rattling can also potentially be the bolt that holds the shifter to the shift linkage loosening :(. Happened to me, and I lost the nut :(.

This was my own fault though, didnt torwue it enough.

Otherwise this mod is great, much shorter shifts, and a better general feel. Third does sit fairly far forward, but now, I kinda like its placement.

·
Registered
642 Posts
how much shorter in height is this from the console than stock? I dont want to loose the 2.5in like in the twm shifter because I am tall and my torso already sits pretty far back from the shifter.

·
Premium Member
6,140 Posts
misconception about what 'short shifter' means

how much shorter in height is this from the console than stock? I dont want to loose the 2.5in like in the twm shifter because I am tall and my torso already sits pretty far back from the shifter.
Go to post #10 in this thread. A picture is worth a 1,000 words! BTW, I'm 6' and and I have had no issue with the shorter length.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
perhaps someone could compare to the ebay cosmo short shifter?
The ebay shifter works.... deff not as solid of a feeling when you shift but I think that may have to do with the MOUNTING equip for the actuall linkage....

THe MAIN difference is... QUALITY... B&M just feels right... and when I had my e=bay shifter it SNAPED right on the ball when I was shifting from 2nd to 3rd.... Right on the weld! After that... i would rather spend a little more money....

The only thing I dont like about the B&M is that you can just buy a new hardware kit if you loose something....

I really do like how the TWM shifters mount to the linkage and wonder if you can feel a difference... the biggest thing is that they use specific spacers as opposed to using washers like everyone else... I want to know how much of a difference that makes!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts