Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i picked up a Progress bar from Cattman and got it installed today.
It was fairly straight forward. Only thing is that it used American measurement nuts and bolts...which i had none of; thankfully my friend had a few.
The bitch is that it's pretty heavy, so trying to hold it up with your gut, with a flash light, and threading on a nut with a washer is a pain.

Plus it starting raining really hard.

Now...does it work at all? Yes. It actually works great. The car really handles better and goes wherever you point it. It holds the corners really really well now. It would have held them better if it wasn't raining and I had decent tires...
Car still has a ton of body roll, but nothing a few coilovers can't fix.

Here's some pictures...

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
What are the zip ties for. I've got a Maxima sway that I need to install along with all my other crap. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have to remove the small bolts that hold the brackets for the ABS and Emergency Brake in order to get the big silver saddle thing onto the arms there. There are three of them, 10mm. It comes with the zip ties for that very reason. Seems a little hack-jobish, but it get's r done.

·
Registered
8,918 Posts
Thanks for the answer. Guess I'll have to use some that I have.
Mine was from a local Maxima part out.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the addco has squared U bolts instead of of the saddle deal, right? That would have been ALOT easier to install.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
I have a few questions here :)

What does this bar actually do ?
Can you not just fasten the two heads of the suspension mounts together & get the same result ? (Like ya do @ the front) ...........

I'm not knockking your improvement ....... In fact I'm thinking of getting one myself ......... Could you scan the instructions & post em up ....... ?

JM :beard:

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
yeah theyre squared u bolts. very easy install.
as far as what it does. this is supposed to be the best bar mod you can do. it essentially has the same effects as the rstb, or fstb, or lca brace does. just tightens things up more. once youve got all those, youll have as minimal sway as possible. however i cant say after any of my bars ive felt a huge difference... others disagree and say its made a huge difference. my springs are soft right now, so i think body roll eats up most of the effects ill feel when i get stiffer springs.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
it essentially has the same effects as the rstb, or fstb, or lca brace does.
Errrrrr ? :smoke:

:beard:

So we are combatting against Roll, Yaw ? what ?

·
The Emo Kid.
6,673 Posts
yeah, flex between one side of the car and the other.
essentially this is how it was explained to me:
you take a hard corner left, the right side of the car is pushed inward, the left side pulled outward, the car sways. this ties the push and pull together, and is supposed to help cause less sway.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
2000 G-Twenty-T said:
yeah, flex between one side of the car and the other.
essentially this is how it was explained to me:
you take a hard corner left, the right side of the car is pushed inward, the left side pulled outward, the car sways. this ties the push and pull together, and is supposed to help cause less sway.
The laws of Phsyics says .......... Hit the gas ........ That rights it ............ Am I wrong ?

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not really sure on the size of the bar, it was quite beefy though.
And yes, it reduces the flex when turning. It essentially makes it feel like it's riding on rails.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
nice man, I helped a buddy put the progress bar on his maxima....same thing with the zip ties (hopefully he hung onto the brackets in case he decides to go back to stock) after removing the bracket. I know what you mean about the weight of the bar. We did it with the car on ramps, definitely was the way to go. He said it was definitely worth while in terms of increasign the stiffness (maxima = big)

Definitely make sure, you retorque them after a week or so and then check them periodically. The bolts definitely got a little bit loose (primarily the U-bolt ones) on his after a week and half...he'll probably need to check them again soon.

check this link too, I thought it was decent (on sway bars)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar

·
THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!
13,766 Posts
merlin said:
Definitely make sure, you retorque them after a week or so and then check them periodically. The bolts definitely got a little bit loose (primarily the U-bolt ones) on his after a week and half...he'll probably need to check them again soon.

check this link too, I thought it was decent (on sway bars)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sway_bar
i'll have to retorque them this weekend, thanks for the warning. and great article. very technical, but easy for mechanically-challenged (me) people to read.

concerning the rear axle mounting points for the U bolts, is it better to have them closer to the center, or towards the wheels? and why? mine are a tad more towards the center than Austin's. maybe i can slide them a little this weekend, and see if it makes any difference. TIA guys.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the idea is that the close the ubolts are mounted to the outside, the more pressure there will be applied between the arms and the axle...if that makes sense. Plus in the instructions it said to place them as far out on the axle as possible. I have mine about 1 finger width between the ubolt and the weld on bracket there. It also said that the brackets mounted to the arm should be about one inch from the edge of the bar.

And good idea about re checking them, don't want that bitch to fly off on the freeway!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
P11Gdub said:
i'll have to retorque them this weekend, thanks for the warning. and great article. very technical, but easy for mechanically-challenged (me) people to read.

concerning the rear axle mounting points for the U bolts, is it better to have them closer to the center, or towards the wheels? and why? mine are a tad more towards the center than Austin's. maybe i can slide them a little this weekend, and see if it makes any difference. TIA guys.
Lock tite.

Gmac

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Same install for me however I did not use the zip ties. If I recall I just bent the bracket a slight bit. It has been a long time...

Rechecked the tightness of the gear three times so far. Seemingly after the first re-tighten they are just about set - ymmv.

·
Registered
216 Posts
How many ft/lbs of torque are you using for the bolts? Or are you just making them tight? Just curious for my own install coming soon. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts