·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Project Green Machine: P10 VE-T - The never ending build

Page 2 progress
Page 3 Progress
Page 4 progress

So since my project has been taking longer than I anticipated, and I'm loosing some motivation, I decided to post some teasers before everything is done.

UPDATE: Project Revived Feb 2013

A new little goodie pickup up from Vadim.

VET Cams :)

Special thanks to Thunder Storm for his help.

Chassis:
DP0 96 P10 with SR20VE swap.

Go Fast Parts List:

NGK R5671A-8 non resistor plugs

Oil cooler

Competition Clutch Stage 4 Kit

740cc injectors

Prosport electronic boost gauge

Energy suspension sway bar bushings and Vision motorsports high pressure radiator cap.

Garrett t3/t4 60-1 with stage 3 turbine wheel and ported compressor housing

ARP rod bolts

TRE 255 LPH fuel pump

Devil's Own Methanol Injection kit

Slim radiator fans

ACL Main, Rod and Thrust bearings

Mishimoto Intercooler; baby's first intercooler

Prothane motor mounts, Energy Suspension Sway bar, transmission stabilizer and steering rack bushings.

GTiR pistons, s13 DET rods with the ARP rod bolts.

Falken Ziex 912s

Raizin voltage stabilizer

VooDoo Manual Boost Controller with ceramic ball upgrade.

Getting Down To It:

Back in August my P10 VE took a dump and overheated on the freeway. Since I was going to have to take apart the engine and rebuild, I decided to was a perfect excuse to go VE-T like I've been wanting to. Makes sense right?

Popped the valve cover and almost made me cry, all the scorched oil on the cylinder head and under the valve cover.

After day 2 we had the engine and transmission taken out and started stripping it down.

Turns out the water passages in the head gasket had clogged with some type of metallic sediment causing the temperature to spike very quickly when driving on the freeway. This lead to a partial head gasket failure, and warping the cylinder head and block.

Also, took the opportunity to rebuild the transmission and replace all the bearings. Thanks to Jav for his how to, helped a lot!
How to

Like I mentioned its taken a lot longer than I expected, started this project in August. Waited nearly 3 months to get the engine back from the machine shop, but had the head and block decked, cleaned and honed the cylinders.

Shiny clean block.

Tapped for oil return; I heart AN fittings :D

8 CW cranked.

and girdled for good measure.

Had to shave down the VE oil baffles to get the upper pan to clear the girdle.

Also found a dinosaur!! Sure some people WOULD think its just a kangaroo, but I like to think of it as a T-Rex ready to eat any wanna-be's!

Water Pump installed.

Oil Pump installed.

Rear main cover and seal.

Upper pan and baffles installed.

Porting the exhaust runners and flange

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I love ve-t's! Just wait when the vvl kicks while under boost! You'll have a grin from ear to ear like me:D

·
Top5DOA
1,967 Posts
:)

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So some more complications:
The guy that was going to weld up the manifold for me just backed out said he can't do it. This is a big set back as he was going to do it for just about $150 since I'm low on money. Also, the owner of the house where my car is being built (mi madre) is getting very anxious to use her garage again.
Therefore, I might have to rethink my tubro selection in favor of something that will be quicker to put together and involve less fabrication... *sigh* :(

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
i ran a 60-1 stge3 turbine on my gtir motor back in the day. it was nice and cheap, but above 20psi, the comp wheel is really inefficient and over heats the air a lot. also the stg3 wheel is pretty restrictive above 400whp. i later got a stg 5 which on the VE-T was way better IMO.

but the 60-1's are like $650...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Javier at turboFX in Tempe is pretty good welding on manifolds. Have you talked with him?
Not yet, but project is back on track. I'm going to trade the main studs for a manifold on the dash. It's not a divided one, but it is t3 tubular, and won't cost me any extra. Later when I get extra money saved I'll contact javier about getting an equal length divided manifold fabbed up.

i ran a 60-1 stge3 turbine on my gtir motor back in the day. it was nice and cheap, but above 20psi, the comp wheel is really inefficient and over heats the air a lot. also the stg3 wheel is pretty restrictive above 400whp. i later got a stg 5 which on the VE-T was way better IMO.

but the 60-1's are like $650...
Do you know what the size is of the stage 5 turbine? Curious is it just more closely sized to the compressor wheel?

1 - 20 of 227 Posts