Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright. Im posting this in hopes to get an answer from someone who truly knows cars really well. I know Most will say "why didnt you go onto the search bar instead of asking some dumbass question that every newby has to ask?"
The truth of the matter is that I have found alot of stuff in here posted befor that was bogus information. I would like to find out from some one who has either done this or who is knowledgable of turbo instalations.
I am on the border of plopping down a whole ton of cash to buy a turbo system and I would like to know some basic info. I am doing the instalation myself, thus I am curious to know details.

I want to know; Do I need to get special valves?, or are the ones that come on the car suitable to the abuse? How much will the turbo screw up the air to fuel ratio without having to buy a new chip for the computer or jimmy rigging the system to accept it? What happens to the gas milage(numbers if you can)? Underhood temperatures, too much for the average components to take, or do they need to be well insulated? Intercooler, is their adiquate room without extensive modifications to the major components of the vehicle? And finaly, If you do have the turbo, are you happy with it? Simple enough. Sorry for this being so long, But this is my best bet on where to find guys who know exactly about my car.
By the way its a 93 G20, and yes I know I made a dumb ass typo on my info bar on the side of the message.
Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Dude, you need to do a lot homework before you even think about a turbo. You are not ready for it unless you want to waste a lot of money.

Search this forum. There is great info here despite what you say and from some very knowledgable people.

Search the SR20DE Forum.

Search the SE-R Mailing List archives.

You've got a lot of work to do.

Don't spend a dime until you're better educated on this.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I just noticed that you are in california too. You also have to seriously consider SMOG issues. I know a few people with some sweet ass turbos in their G20s that are just sitting at home unable to drive them because of SMOG issues.
Just another thought.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Hey GEO I think I figured it out and a good turbo swap should go for about 5500.....is this right or a bit much>? THis includes FMIC Cluch DET INstall Meters TImer and a couple of other things.... what do you think??? Also....whats the cheapest way to get boost but not worry about too much more maintance......:alien: :cheeky: :cool: :asian:

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Gtwenty said:
I want to know; Do I need to get special valves?, or are the ones that come on the car suitable to the abuse?
This statment right here tells me you need to do a lot more homework on this. Look for and find everything you can read about how engines and turbo's on engines work.

TIZAO said:
Hey GEO I think I figured it out and a good turbo swap should go for about 5500.....is this right or a bit much>? THis includes FMIC Cluch DET INstall Meters TImer and a couple of other things.... what do you think??? Also....whats the cheapest way to get boost but not worry about too much more maintance......:alien: :cheeky: :cool: :asian:
I'm not Geo but $5500US for a low boost turbo swap maybe pushing 240ish whp sounds about right. The cheepest way to get reliable boost is to do it right, with quality parts, the first time. ;)

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Its all good that your not geo....I just saw that he was the best man that was on this post. OK so does it sound like I did some of my homework?!!! lol :alien: :cheeky: :cool: :asian:

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
OK just to let everyone know, here's what I plan on doing for my turbo project. (I just need a job so I can get started. ;))

I'll skip all the suspension stuff I'm doing first and get to the engine kit. It's also best to do a turbo installation in stages unless you get a DET swap. I'm also assuming that I have all the parts already.

Goals: 240-250whp.

Stage 1:
---------------
  • 370cc injectors from a BB DET
  • Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator for 4 bar fuel pressure (this avoids getting bigger injectors, the 370cc injectors are good for about 220hp at the wheels at stock fuel pressure and that's pushing it.)
  • Andreas Miko special bored MAF
  • Andreas Miko special JWT ECU with turbo, S3 cam, and 370cc 4bar program (I have cams right now so you might not need that)
This all gets installed and I'll trouble shoot from there. If anything goes wrong I'll have an easier time finding and fixing it.

Stage 2/3
-------------------
  • Buy and mount FMIC. Haven't decided on what type or size to get yet. I'll have it mounted then removed untill I'm ready to install the turbo. No point in having it on the car if I'm not using it right? ;)
  • Install my ACT s/s clutch and Zex/Jun light flywheel. Get this broken in before the turbo get's put on.
Stage 4
-------------------
  • Install turbo and mainfold (I'll be using a GTi-R manifold and GTi-R T28.
  • Install FMIC
  • Install turbo outlet and downpipe (JGY customs).
  • Drive to good muffler shop and have turbo and FMIC piping done.
That's about it. It looks pretty easy but I'll bet I'm forgeting something. If you have any questions please ask. Just don't ask me where to buy anything, you'll have to do at least that for yourself. ;)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey I know what I was saying about the valves though. I already did this sort of project by myself on a volvo and a volkswagon. And I had to change to sodium cored valves on the volvo. It was said that the regular valves would break down from the extreme temperatures caused by the turbo. I am not just the everyday joe shmo boy racer just out to slap on some crappy turbo kit in my driveway one evening, using nothing but dryer hose, a water pump and a serpentine belt hooked up to my ac pump with a card board blower for that extra racer look. Im not trying to be a smart ass, but, I know where youre coming from, You see some guy come on here and spit out what seems to be newbie bullshit and you guys automatically start to imagine some white boy trying to look asian and thinking how he can look real fast to his buddies.
I in no way want to cause any harm to anyone. I just wanted to reply that what I wrote isnt some bullshit.
Thanks for all the input though. Sorry to lead any false ideas. I would appriciate any more input from you guys. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Gtwenty said:
I am not just the everyday joe shmo boy racer just out to slap on some crappy turbo kit in my driveway one evening, using nothing but dryer hose, a water pump and a serpentine belt hooked up to my ac pump with a card board blower for that extra racer look. Im not trying to be a smart ass, but, I know where youre coming from, You see some guy come on here and spit out what seems to be newbie bullshit ....
That's cool. If you just need to know some specifics about the SR20, doing some searching will either answer your questions, or make your questions become very specific, at which point we can give you a lot of help. Very general turbo questions seldom get much of an answer anymore since it's been covered so many times in the past. There are some really smart folks here and when searching through the site, you'll see that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thank you!
Im glad someone actually cares. Sorry to seem like an annoying pest repeating age old questions over and over again. Ill take your advice and try searching again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts