Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experience or heard anything good or bad about them ?? I've seen the PureOne filter mentioned on sr20forum.

I picked one up yesterday from a local motor spares shop as I couldn't get to the dealers and want to do the oil change before I go to the coast. It's past due, I've done almost 9k since the last change....

I said I was gonna leave it on until I could get a genuine Nissan one and the guy in the shop said it was probably better than the Nissan one and that it had the anti drain back valve in it..

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Mark,

Any decent (even inexpensive) filter is going to have the required anti-drain back valve. You just will not find a filter that is designed or recommended for the SR20DE that does not have the anti-drainback valve. There really is nothing about the factory filter that is better than an aftermarket one. Nissan has one of their suppliers make it.

Filters that have "finer" filtration ability are a double edge sword. On the one hand they can filter out smaller particles, but they may also clog sooner and go into bypass mode. They also have the real potential of oil pressure drop due to flow restriction because the media is harder to flow through or because they start to clog sooner. I have talked to several powertrain engineers in Detroit, and many of them do not recommend a smaller mesh (finer) filter.
The fact that you have the filter in your car for 9-12k miles might be a concern that it might go into bypass mode at some point.

Me? I buy name brand filters, and use the taller filter version recommended for our cars. Typical cost is $3-$5.
My personal opinion is that people make too much out of oil filters. There just is not that much difference between any of them. The quality of your oil choice will make a big difference, not your oil filter choice.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it's done now....The filter is a little shorter than the Nissan one.

It wasn't 9k, it was last changed at 94k and it's now 101.5k so 7.5k.....

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I remember seeing an article from the forum that linked to an experiment in oil filters.
The compared a bunch of different brands after taking them apart, and mobil1/purolator tied for runner up to the factory filter.
Seeing that purolator is a few bucks cheaper than mobil1, its what I always use.
But I just use the regular purolator (usaully for just shy of 5000 miles)

·
Registered
75 Posts
how much was that from the factors then Mark?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts