Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whenever i accelerate into each gear my g has a faint puttering noise its fine at idle but im pretty sure its not a knock, it didnt occur till about a month ago(i hit 80k) i remember advancing the timing around then but i didnt notice any performance gain so i moved it back?
any help? thanks

matt

·
Registered
223 Posts
i've just had that problem yesterday i got new wires and densen spark plugs. what happens with the original factory wires is that the end of them the part that goes into the engine has a small hole in them to let out steam. but when it rains outsite the holes allow rain to get into the engine take it to like citgo or somewhere and have them clean the engine out of all the water build up and install the better designed wires and sparkplugs

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
I don't think the rain is a major factor. I'm more inclined to believe that the wires and spark plugs themselves may be the culprits. I say try switching back to the OEM wires and NGK Platimun spark plugs and see if that solves your problem.

http://www.se-r.net/engine/ignition.html

·
Registered
5,733 Posts

A 'puttering' noise?... sluggish acceleration...? Could be the spark plugs, the wires, the distributor cap, or even a leak in your exhaust system either before (header pipe) or after your cat convert.!! Casual is also right about the fuel system... try some fuel system cleaners (Prolong) or new fuel filter/pump ... Definitely look for any kind of leaks or colored smoke out of your pipe!!!
Good luck...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i know the wires are the old stock and the plugs i put in maybe 5k ago and they are bosch4 i believe and the puttering is obvious but not to knock on the g but i though all g's were sluggish until about 2-3rpm at openthrottle. and for the fuel system i would put octane boost and fuel system cleaner in about every 1k miles but i heard that stuff doesnt really have a effect either way for being good or bad on your car?thnks for all the replies though, i'll throw the stock plugs back on tomorrow.

matt

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
this paage should help out alot and bosch might be the prob theres some debate on the bosch too some people say on the sr20 the best plugs to go with are the stock plugs..
check it
link

and bosch disscusion

link
casual

1 - 8 of 8 Posts