Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a cheap P10 that would start but not drive. The motor starts and runs great and has really good compression (180 +/- 5). Trans felt like it had gear stacks and the clutch pedal felt like it was trying to do clutch things, but the thing just wouldn't move under its own power. As it turns out, the clutch disc itself is completely shattered. Pretty amazing.

I picked this up with the intention of dedicated track car, hopefully road race, time trial, and hill climb. This is my first Infiniti, first SR20, and first FWD car. Not my first track car, not my first project. I'm good with a wrench, moderate at fabrication, excellent with electronics, ECUs, wiring.

With the above in mind, any pointers for "must do's" to get a G20 on track? I promise I'm pretty self sufficient, but I haven't even been able to drive the thing yet.

Things I see it needs so far: clutch & flywheel, one CV axle, lower ball joints, tie rod ends. Going to replace all those and stabilizer bar bushings as well.

Thanks for any pointers.

·
Registered
13,188 Posts
We found it necessary to add a power steering cooler in ours. Get yourself offset bushings to get more negative camber in front otherwise you will eat up the outside corners of tires and cord the edges before the rest of the tire rubber is used up.

We also went with solid aluminum home-made motor mounts (see my avatar for them)

Fidenza lightweight flywheel in ours as well.

We've logged over 25k track miles on our track-rat G20 (pretty sure we have the most used w2w p10 in the continental USA ATM and very much welcome more to be out there!)

Will you be running with NASA? What class are you building for? What year g20 did you get?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, that's very encouraging. The SR20 guys I know are all RWD guys and tell me you can't run a transverse mounted SR20 reliably on track due to oiling issues.

Planning on running SCCA time trial and hill climb, LeMons, and/or Chump. Also planning on removing the p/s pump and "depowering" the rack. I've done that on other Japanese cars... Not that I have ever opened up an Infiniti rack before.

Car is a 92.

·
Registered
13,188 Posts
92 is a good year to have because you start out lighter and don't have to worry about removing the airbags like we did.

I'll be very curious to hear what weight you got down to after stripping everything out so please do post up what you ended up with. We've been curious to know if there is any way to get a 91-92 lighter than what we did with our 95. I'm also curious to know how much you add back with the cage and what tubing you decide to go with.

Getting rid of the stock exhaust helps a lot but we don't have big money for a titanium or aluminum exhaust so we added some weight back with 2 cherry bombs and conventional 2.5" custom exhaust. We temporarily had a 'shorter' exhaust going out the side but it was so damn loud it hurt our ears even with ear plugs and was too many dBs for some of our tracks and we wanted no issue with running on the street to drive to/from events as well since ours is technically still titled and there is no emissions test here in Illinois for anything 1995 and older

We have not installed it yet but a carbon fiber hood will save you 18 pounds if you are looking for more weight savings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will be going by the Chump rule book, so I probably can't get away with an aftermarket hood. I can however cut all the webbing out of the stock hood and turn it into a floppy noodle of its stock self. That should make it pretty light.
I can't weld aluminum, so exhaust will be mild steel, probably 2.5", and will have a muffler. Some of the local venues have sound restrictions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here is my current progress.

This is the car as I picked it up, literally. It had been sitting for 18 months.

The car didn't move when the clutch was engaged, though the pedal and shifter both felt good. This means the trans was coming down, but the shop that employees me has a really nice wireless scale set, so that's where I started.

This is what I found when the trans came down:

So I replaced the clutch, and she purrs like a kitten. I also got a set of $100 P11 15" alloys to replace the factory 14's. I put some race used 205-50 Star Specs on them. Tires won't be competitive for race use, but will do fine for some daily and 1 track day. Total cost wheels+tires+mounting=$128. I weighed the wheels individually and then weighed the car again. The 15" setup weighs within 1 lb of the 14" setup. After the clutch job, I did not reinstall various bullcrap plastic panels, clips, etc. I vacuumed all of the dead leaves and pinestraw off the car, and threw the owner's trash away. I also replaced the battery with one from a Miata.

Yeah, look twice. I dropped 57lbs, without taking anything real from the car. It still has full interior, the spare tire, a/c, everything. I drove it for the first time today. I made it 15 uneventful miles from work to home. The a/c blows cold, but the radio is beyond awful. I am going to run the car through emissions tomorrow and daily it for a few days, see what's up with it. After emissions tomorrow, I should be able to get a tag for it on Wednesday. The tag office here is open Weds-Sat.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
welcome to gnet. i too track my g20, its a p11 (new at it. only 3 track days at same track under my belt)
its more a track day have fun car, not ready for nasa or office events yet.

looking forward to see how this goes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a regular track day in June at Road Atlanta and a Chump "double 7" (14 hour enduro, broken up into 2 x 7 hour races) on Halloween at Atlanta Motorsports Park. I will only be doing a few local venues this year to help keep cost down and because of family obligations.

·
Registered
12,425 Posts
Um yeah with a clutch disk like that I bet someone was trying to do a redline wot clutch dump in 5th gear

Oh. With the brakes on

·
Administrator
5,857 Posts
Welcome, P10's are becoming pretty popular for track cars.

I've been tracking mine for just shy of 10 years, just recently (in the past year) went full cage, weight reduction, lexan, you name it. The girlfriend is getting into HPDE so we just picked her up a P10 and am doing the exact same thing you are right now (so this will be my 2nd track P10 build). Let us know if you have any questions! I know myself and Chris both do NASA events regularly for HPDE/TT/Race groups with prepped P10s. Charles has a [email protected] P10 build but its a bit on the extreme side for classing with time trial, but for everything else its on point!

·
Registered
13,188 Posts
I'd love to see more P10s at NASA events setting records.. (or even breaking the 16 still current records we have -- that would give me a big smile!) Heck, I'd be delighted to see at least 2 other p10s show up for a w2w race so we could have our own 'spec race' It's lonely being the only p10 here in the Midwest/Great Lakes/Central NASA region. :( ...and if another P10 wins NASA Nationals PTF or TTF like we did, all the better because maybe that will entice more people to build P10 race cars!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Passed emissions; I can tag it now. My last dedicated track vehicle was never tagged or registered, so I'm looking forward to it. After the test, I bumped the timing a couple degrees, which helped wake the motor up.

I think I'll daily it for a few days as I won't be able to work on it in the meanwhile. In the next couple of weeks, I'll get it on a dyno to see what the stock computer will do. I'll then put a MegaSquirt on it and see if I can beat the stock computer. I have a road race and a land speed event both in the next month, so not a lot of time to work on my own stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do any plastic lens headlights exist? I bet those glass lamps are heavy. I'll gut the housings and put projectors and HIDs in them, so quality of the optics isn't important.

·
Registered
20,819 Posts
Do any plastic lens headlights exist? I bet those glass lamps are heavy. I'll gut the housings and put projectors and HIDs in them, so quality of the optics isn't important.
Nope, P10 headlamps are glass worldwide. People have made their own clear lenses out of plastic though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's awesome. I don't know what ECU I'll run yet, but likely not MS3-Pro just because it may not be in the spirit of Chump Car. As I happen to be head of product development at DIYAutoTune, I'm sure I can come up with something. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts