Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
North Star Fighter
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing that the QR25 6-speed tranny will bolt up to the SR20, but there are a few things that are different. I've heard rumors of just having to change the input shaft. But I also heard having to change the mount locations. Can anyone shed light as to what the real deal is?

·
Registered
20,842 Posts
better? hmm that is completely subjective question. It is the newer style transmission which is good, but the gear ratios are all different so it really depends what you want your car to do. I think it is too much hassle for the average g20 owner to deal with compared to any benifit.

The 00-02 p11 transmissions is 'better' than the 99. Plus it swaps right in.

·
Registered
191 Posts
A six speed G20 would be awsome though. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just wanted to know what are the HP ratings of all the SR20DE transmission ive done a search but have not found anything.. can anybody point me in the right directions.. sorry for stealing the thread..

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
the best tranny i've heard of using for high hp cars is the N1 tranny. Good luck finding one though.

So what it comes down to is what is the best tranny for the relatively least amount of money and easiest accessable. That tranny would be the P11/B15 tranny 00+

One of the guys on here has run close to if not more than 500 hp on it and with a bit of luck still hasn't blown it up yet.

Gmac

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
The QR transmission is unsuitable for many reasons:

- It probably needs an adapter plate to mate to the SR20
- It probably needs different axles
- It is probably too big for your engine bay (hope youre good with a welder)
- It has a cable shifter not a rod shifter like all SR20 transmissions

Save yourself a lot of time and money and stick with a 5 speed SR20 gearbox.

- Greg -

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
Lemute said:
i thought the '99 p11 tranny was just as strong as the +00, except that the ratios were different
You thought wrong then ;)

The '99 P11 case is stronger than all previous generations of SR20 trannies. The gears reportedly are made of a stronger alloy as well. The '00+ has an even stronger version with a completely redesigned gearbox.

- Greg -

·
Registered
288 Posts
cool
i guess a turbo p11 would benefit from slightly longer gears in a '99 then right?
how is the '00 stronger than the '99?

i'm looking into changing my final drive gear so that i can have longer gears all around. this way i wont' be redlining in first right when boost hits haha. and i will also benefit on the highway (right now when i cruise 120km/h i'm over 3000 rpm, i want to bring this down)
thanks for clearing it up though

ps: sorry for hijacking thread with my own Q's

·
Prince of Joy
4,614 Posts
The '99 has taller 1st and 2nd gears than the '00+ models. I dont believe that any parts are transferable between the two. The transmissions are completely different in design. One of the tradeoffs of the stronger '00+ model is the shorter gears, but it's worthwhile if you want to go for really big power.

The only taller final gear that Im aware of is on the early ('91) P10. The bad news is that it's the non-LSD version, and is non-transferable (won't fit) into a LSD transmission. On top of that, if you change out the final gear you have to change out the main shaft to match, which is a major undertaking (parts, bearing tolerances, etc.). The P10 transmission also wont bolt into a P11 because the transmission mount is different -- not that you'd want to since it has a weaker case.

So basically, there is no taller first gear that is readily available for a '99. The best you can do is install the '91 P10 5th input and main gears and associated synchros into a '99 to get a taller 5th gear. I think you'll save about 350-500 rpm at highway cruising speeds. Youre kind of stuck with everything else.

- Greg -

·
Registered
663 Posts
Well you could try the maxima 6spd manual.
Spec V 65.5 at 3K in top
Maxima 75mph at 3k in top...
But you would possibly have welding problems?? but hasnt someone put a VQ35 and 6spd into a B15? or B13?? are they wider??

Mike

·
North Star Fighter
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hmm...for some reason i didn't get e-mail notification for this thread..but thanks for all the information everyone. i guess my dreams of a 6-speed in the g just aren't worth while...but since we got so many tranny guru's on here, i found an 00+ SR 5-spd, however they say it's a non-locking differential. I guess that means it's not really worth it (no lsd and can't install one [at least that's what a teacher said..])? It was for a sentra.

·
Registered
288 Posts
i was also considering the 6 speed from the max or spec, just make a adaptor plate, but its too costly for the stage my project is at. maybe later on i will get thte 6 speed, but for now i will try to find a shop that will make me a longer final drive gear.
wish me luck :D

·
Registered
961 Posts
Just go all out and get a vq35 and the six speed and drop it in. It has been done with B15's over on sr20forum.com I am sure the p11 is just as accepting to awesome v6 power as the b15 is.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
phxg20 said:
Just go all out and get a vq35 and the six speed and drop it in. It has been done with B15's over on sr20forum.com I am sure the p11 is just as accepting to awesome v6 power as the b15 is.
Do you have a like to the thread on sr20forum? I have read about the same or similar on b15sentre and the vboard, but missed and cannot find the one on sr20forum.

·
North Star Fighter
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sorry to interrupt, but can anyone fill me in on the whole lsd deal? or link me to a thread that has some data on it? i keep hearing all these different stories. "you can't install an lsd on a car that has viscous already. you can't install an lsd period. lsd's costs $1,000+ dollars." i really don't know what i'm looking out for anymore. should i go for a trans that has a "locking" differential or a "non-locking" differential? and what kinda lsd do you guys recommend?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts