Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this guy, He's got a Renault 5 Gt Turbo. Don't know if you have them on your side of the atlantic, but it's a crappy little french rust bucket.

He's been talking to people that have told him that they could put a setup running four small turbochargers on it.

Here's the spec of the engine. Well the bits you need to know to laugh yourselves into a coma.

It's french for starters, petrol, four cylinder (you're chuckling already, aren't you?) with the whopping displacement of 1.4 litres.

I've told him it wont be worth it. I've told him that the chances are the exhaust from a single cylinder will probably not be enough to drive the turbo, let alone get a reasonable amount of boost out of it. I've told him that it a waste of money and the people who told him they could do it must be rubbing thier hands together with glee at the fool they've found.

He seems to be under the impression that lag is a factor based purely on the size of the turbo, and has no idea that the engine needs to be running at higher revs to drive the turbo and that's what lag is. He doesn't seem to appreciate that now the exhaust output is split four ways, each cylinder will have to be cycling four times faster to get the same amount of exhaust driving the turbo. Yes, he is certain that four small turbos will have next to no lag. Because they are small turbos.

I can't get him to think reasonably about it, so have you guys got any suggestions to talk him out of it or should I just beat him round the head until he forgets about the whole dumb idea?

·
Registered
586 Posts
xenobait said:
I can't get him to think reasonably about it, so have you guys got any suggestions to talk him out of it or should I just beat him round the head until he forgets about the whole dumb idea?
Do you have Sport Compact Car magaizine over there? There's a really good feature on turbos in there.

If you do... go buy one, roll it up, and beat him round the head with it, until he understands.

If you don't have it and still want to inflict pain, I'll send you my copy and you can beat him with it, but, I'd like a video of that please.

We used to get Renaults here years ago, but we sent them back to the Frenchies because they are crap. :lol:

·
Registered
180 Posts
could you put four turbos on that new passat w-8?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Probably not conventionally. You'd need some serious custom piping, and the intercooler work would be a wreck. I don't think it'd even be worth having that many turbos. You see some people turning twin turbo systems into single turbos, simply for simplicity and more efficiency. More is NOT always better....

·
Registered
180 Posts
I completely agree, but wouldn't it be fun? Nothing like playing the what if game:beard: :asian: :beard:

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
SeminoleG20 said:
could you put four turbos on that new passat w-8?
I'd love to see which company will make mods for that engine. :confused: :confused:
Now THAT would be something...:monkey:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Quad turbo's (no, really)

littlerudegirl said:

If you don't have it and still want to inflict pain, I'll send you my copy and you can beat him with it, but, I'd like a video of that please.

No, we don't have SCC, would a series of digital stills do? otherwise I'll have to try and find a video camera......

·
Registered
222 Posts
OH

Oh almost thought you guys were talkin the R5 renualt with the engine in the middle

I dunno dont sound like 1.4 litre would be enough to spin 4 turbos unless they were wicked small impellers . it only displaces .35 litres per cyl or 350 cc which i have seen turbos for 250/400cc dirtbikes (aerocharger.com makes them i think) so it is possible but all the oil lines ,controlling boost ,4 throttlebodys have to be fabbed....... YUCK!!!!and for a econo renault that wasnt that great anyway?

i have seen a few twin turbo show only b18c honda engines but like i said those were for show not go

renault motors werent always bad , lotus used renault engines (and i think trannys)for the europa program for i belive the series one . then lotus took over on engines and built there own units so they could extract more power from them as some odd deal happend to the renault ties but the louts engine was a modified renault design from what i understand...sorry was a british car mechanic 4 years ago

·
Registered
222 Posts
oops

just realized the 350cc turbos are for 2 strokes , on that renault its a 4 stroke , the time between strokes is too long to keep generateing pressure against the impeler to keep the shaft speeds up high enough to do anything , they would be useless unless the engine would turn rpms that would make a rotary jelous ...and lag....eiwww

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts

littlerudegirl said:
If you do... go buy one, roll it up, and beat him round the head with it, until he understands.

Is it just me, or does anyone find this arousing.... :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts

littlerudegirl said:

Do you have Sport Compact Car magaizine over there? There's a really good feature on turbos in there.

HEHEHE, your a badass, and knock some sense into taht man, take the cash that hes spending on that sh*t and buy a new primera eh?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts