Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '99 G20 has about 45k miles on it, but I have this bad, lazy habit of leaving the clutch near its friction point at signals, hills, etc. Plus, my friends and I abused it quite a bit. So, my clutch is already starting to slip a lot. I have a new clutch disc sitting at home, but all the mechanics I've asked say that I should replace the fly wheel too. I'm thinking the car's still fairly new and that only the disc needs replacing. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The flywheel should be fine. Mine had over 50K on it and it was in great, if not perfect shape.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The flywheel shouldn't have to be replaced, but it may need to be resurfaced based on its condition. That's not a bad thing to do while it's all apart because you'll probably have to do it sooner or later.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I would guess 2-3 hours depending if the mechanics is fast and knows what he is doing....what takes long really is resurfacing flywheel....if they have it inhouse then it will be fast...but usually they send it out or something I think...

What clutch do you have??? Did you get a pressure plate and disc???

Also with 45K miles you really really really abused the clutch then....sitting at a light on a hill balancing with the clutch must be one of the most stupidest thing to do.....you are pretty much RIDING YOUR CLUTCH AND BURNING THE SHIT OUT OF IT....Clutches are not meant to be rubbing and heating up like that long...its just to grab and go....not just sit there and heat up and burn....Did you ever smell anything funny? kinda sweet smelling? probably your clutch...

Also...advice....You must break in your new clutch...I would say 500 miles ATLEAST!! If not then save up to replace your clutch at around next 45K....which would be 90K.

I just replaced mine at 71K and I think I messed up my clutch....but when I took a look at the disc after it was taken out the clutch disc surface was good...but there was a weird play in the bearing like thing....so I actually could have driven it longer...

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
akg20 said:
How long does it take to replace? ..since mechanics charge by the hour.
It doesn't matter how long it takes them. They charge by the book rate. They have books that tell them how many hours to charge for. A good mechanic can log 70 book hours in a normal week.

Money G20 said:
The flywheel shouldn't have to be replaced, but it may need to be resurfaced based on its condition. That's not a bad thing to do while it's all apart because you'll probably have to do it sooner or later.
Given the fact he was slipping it at lights, I guarantee it will need to be resurfaced.

TY423 said:
I would guess 2-3 hours depending if the mechanics is fast and knows what he is doing....
But the book will probably allow about 4-6 hours.

·
Registered
562 Posts
TY423 said:
RIDING YOUR CLUTCH AND BURNING THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Ok, if I sit in traffic everyday and have to have my clutch in a little bit.. b/c if I don't have it in I'm going to slow and I'll stall. Will this burn the clutch if I'm for like 10 minutes a day in traffic in 1st gear.. it's flat ground by the way.

·
Registered
562 Posts
But the book will probably allow about 4-6 hours.
Geo I know what you mean....I remember talking to a dealer mechanic and its called flag time or something like that....the book says it should take this much...and if you finish earlier than that then you get more pay or something....

·
Registered
579 Posts
Yeah, it's called flat rate, and if you're good and experienced you can make alot of dough that way. I've been at Infiniti for almost 2 years, first year I got paid salary, second year I switched to flat rate. I average about 56-58 hours a week, while actually only working about 37. Last week I clocked 62.5 hours!! It works like this...every job pays a certain amount of book time, like an oil change pays .4/hour, you can normally get it done in .2/hour, and then you move onto the next job...say brakes, pays 1.5 hours, you should be able to do it in .6 hours and so on and so on. For the most part, you can make good time, but there's always those jobs that'll kill you, especially if it's your first time doing it...and especially warranty work, cause the factory pays the dealer for that and they're tight-asses!

NE-way, we will never replace the clutch alone at the dealer, a flywheel is always sold also, along with a pressure plate and a throw-out bearing. For the simple reason that when all the friction material on a clutch disc has worn off, the flywheel rubs against the disc backing plate which often gets very hot and heat-spots the flywheel which is bad. Every time a clutch is done at work the flywheel is always heat-spotted and dis-colored, I just did a clutch on an I30 on Friday...the lady only had 39K on the car and the clutch and flywheel are TOAST!! It all depends on how you drive...traffic is a different story though cause you really can't help but feather the clutch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My friend told me to test how bad the clutch is by trying to engage in first gear with the e-brake up. Well, my clutch can still handle it and doesn't stall when I do it.. and the friction point's obviously a little higher. I don't ride the clutch or burn it when I'm in motion.. again, it's me being lazy when I'm stopped on hills and signals. When I'm on level ground it's not that bad. Judging by how excited TY423 got, I think I may have exaggerated too much when I was describing how much it was slipping. I'd say the friction/grab point is close to two-thirds of the way up from the ground as opposed to about half way. I'm sure this sounds contradictory to what I first posted... I think this is more accurate. ;)

I bought an OEM disc for now, but no pressure plate or flywheel which I'm thinking I won't need just yet. And I'm thinking of investing in an FSM.

Cheers

·
Registered
562 Posts
nah....I forgot to tell you that I used to live near La Cresenta...I lived in La Canada almost my whole life...about 11~12 years. La Cresenta has alot of hills and slopes...I'm sure you know what I mean by the streets that meet foothill blvd...Just don't abuse the clutch so much...and 45K pretty much means abused..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts