Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Sebring fireball style muffler with a silencer($180can.) and I going to get my exhuast setup pefectly so I want to know if I should take out the resonator and get 2.25' manderal bent piping all the way back to the muffler from the cat. What is the resonator for exactly ? If I remove it, will the chances of failing an emisions test go up ? I read that the G20 exhaust system is " pretty hard to improve on "-SE-R forums, so is all this necessary ? Can I expect any HP gains ? Or should I just leave all the stock piping and weld the muffler on the back ?

·
Registered
411 Posts
i no when i got my cat-bak system, the guy told me if i leave my stock resonator i will get a deeper sound. if that helps any.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20

Of all people, you should know by now that you should done a search for resonator. ;) There has been a lot of threads on this one.

Anyhow, go with the 2.25" cat back piping, but have a 2.25" non-louvered glass-pack welded in place of the resonator. It will help out with in cabin resonance and keep the tone of the muffler down.

Most go with the $14.99-$19.99 Dynomax Thrush Glasspack. Seems to get the job done for a good price. Walker makes a real nice one too!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
I read that the G20 exhaust system is pretty hard to improve on, so is all this necessary ? Can I expect any HP gains ? Or should I just leave all the stock piping and weld the muffler on the back ?
I would say start all over again and go back to stock. As it stands right now "Custom cold air ducting with K&N intake and breather,Magnaflow cat-back exhaust,Bosch platinum plugs,NGK wires,17 degree timing" isn't really a reason for a whole new exhaust system. SE-R.net is right. The G20 exhaust system is pretty hard to improve on. Not that it can't be done, but you'd have to spend a heck of a lot of dough for a few more HP:-\ .
Try this:instead of the cat-back, try getting a Hotshot Header(15+ HP for $450) or a Pacesetter Header(8-10 HP for $150). THEN you'll notice some improvement.;)

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Re: Re: Question about resonator

MR. RYTE said:
<snip> isn't really a reason for a whole new exhaust system.

Try this:instead of the cat-back, try getting a Hotshot Header(15+ HP for $450) or a Pacesetter Header(8-10 HP for $150). THEN you'll notice some improvement.;)
True dat! next save for the JWT S3 cams ($550)...

Dont waste your money on something you dont need....

·
Registered
520 Posts
Varooooooommmmmmm.. Ehhhhhhhttttttttttttttt.. 2nd....psssehhhhhhhhttttt. Buzzzzzzzzzzehhhhhhhhhhhhht.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Mista McCoilover said:
Varooooooommmmmmm.. Ehhhhhhhttttttttttttttt.. 2nd....psssehhhhhhhhttttt. Buzzzzzzzzzzehhhhhhhhhhhhht.
couldnt have described it better!!

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
...he he ....

Glass Pack vs. Stock... dunno what the difference is...Tell you this much... I remember removing the resonator on my Civic...and it made my Osoki exhaust sound like screaming bee!! It makes the noise ten times louder for sure... about HP gain... I'm not sure... it's just that the air flows out more freely...
Varooooooommmmmmm.. Ehhhhhhhttttttttttttttt.. 2nd....psssehhhhhhhhttttt. Buzzzzzzzzzzehhhhhhhhhhhhht
That's exaclty what a good exhaust system sounds like... then you go up 3rd and 4th and 5th... :p
Want real HP gain? The guys are right, get a new Header!! Pacesetter or HS (money)... maybe a new Cat-Conv... magnaflow?(some money) Get that S3 Cam and JWT ECU upgrade (mo' money)... You still don't have an HS/PlaceRacing CAI yet... Man...what are you waiting for (even mo' money)?? ...the pipe size increase also helps... so take it into consideration as well... then meet a couple of us for beers, chips and a dirty action movie!!... We'll have a blast arguing over who's got more HP... (I know I don't) :lol: HEEYYY where's the Queso!!! :mad:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Read Mike Kojima's articles (Magnaflow.com, Sentra.net, Nissanperformancemag.com) on exhaust system design. A properly-designed resonator does practically nothing to power levels and precisely nothing to emissions, but the bigger it is, the more likely you are to keep your sanity. Most resonators are just glasspacks with less-redneck names. Read Mike's articles; he explains it all there.

I personally like the DynoMax Thrush Glasspacks, of which there are a few to choose from. Just pick one with the right I/O diameter and the longest shell length that will fit in the length of your B-pipe, and you'll be on the right track. If you look, you'll see that P/Ns 24201-24211 all neck down to only 2" internally, which is theoretically bad. I don't think this is really a problem, you just won't be harvesting the absolute most from your exhaust vs. one that is 2.25" or even 2.5" internally. Whatever you do, don't get a louvered-core resonator (none of the Thrush glasspacks are).

I hear stories that Mike Kojima and maybe it was Rob Cadle were talking about a megaphone-style exhaust system once, where the exhaust tubing starts at 2" or so near the cat and then opens to 3" or so by the time it gets to the muffler. This is why I'm leaning towards the 24203 for my own system. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts